U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2008, 08:43 AM
FMD FMD started this thread

15 posts, read 60,397 times

Advertisements

We just moved to Durham, close to South Point Mall, any feed back about Pearsontown year round Elementary school or others close by, I need it for my son which will be going to 2nd Grade.

Thanks
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 02:03 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,081,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMD View Post
We just moved to Durham, close to South Point Mall, any feed back about Pearsontown year round Elementary school or others close by, I need it for my son which will be going to 2nd Grade.

Thanks
We live near Southpoint and are zoned for Creekside Elementary ( I have a 2nd grader there.) Do you know which school you are zoned for? If you live near Southpoint you could be zoned for Creekside, Parkwood, Hope Valley, or Southwest. Pearsontown is the year round magnet. But in March they held their lottery for next year (08/09). As I understand it's pretty hard to get into unless you gain entry at Kindergarten. I know several people who applied for grades other than K for next year and none of them got in because there just wasn't many spots open for grades above K. If you are set on Pearsontown, I would call the school directly.

Creekside is currently over capacity and is projected to be for next year as well. If you are not zoned for Creekside currently they will not take you as they are over capacity. If you search this forum for Creekside you will find threads discussing possible reassignment. The district currently is conducting a study of South Durham schools to project numbers etc. This study will be complete by Fall 08. I highly expect reassignments to occur for the school year 09/10. If you have specific questions about Creekside let me know. I'd be happy to try to answer them.

What school are you assigned for now? There are a few of us on this board that currently have students in some of these South Durham Elementaries. So if you have specific questions, let us know.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:45 PM

thank you very much , I will find out which school I can take my son then I will take it from there.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:58 PM

22 posts, read 68,282 times
Hi FMD,
We live in the same area. We are zoned for Creekside (at least for now), but we did choose Pearsontown. We went through the lottery system 2 years ago. We are extremely satisfied with our child's progress. There is an active PTA, and we have been happy with our child's teachers so far.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:37 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,081,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHOME1 View Post
Hi FMD,
We live in the same area. We are zoned for Creekside (at least for now), but we did choose Pearsontown. We went through the lottery system 2 years ago. We are extremely satisfied with our child's progress. There is an active PTA, and we have been happy with our child's teachers so far.
NCHOME1, do you mind sharing if your child got in as a Kindergartener or an older student? Thanks.

I toured Pearsontown this past February. It looked like a great school...vibrant, engaged students, lots of hands on learning.

I think it's always helpful for folks who read these forums to read posts from parents with children in a particular school. Thanks for sharing with us!

Old 04-08-2008, 08:58 PM

22 posts, read 68,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
NCHOME1, do you mind sharing if your child got in as a Kindergartener or an older student? Thanks.

I toured Pearsontown this past February. It looked like a great school...vibrant, engaged students, lots of hands on learning.

I think it's always helpful for folks who read these forums to read posts from parents with children in a particular school. Thanks for sharing with us!
He is now in first grade. This is his second year at Pearsontown. We applied through the lottery system to the Montessori school (I forget the name) and Pearsontown. He got into Pearsontown, and we have been very happy. He is doing amazingly well in reading and math. Yes, they do have a lot of hands on learning. He loves it there.
My advice to any parent would be to go over there, like PDXmom did, talk to the teachers, and get a feel for what is going on. As you know, the more involved you are as a parent, the better the outcomes will be. If I had to choose over again, I would send my son to pearsontown in a heartbeat.

On a different note, I think it may be a bit easier to get into Pearsontown just because it is year-round. This does not fit a lot of people' schedule, so you have fewer applicants than you might have had otherwise if it was a traditional school with the same level of performance.
if you need any other information that you think I might be able to provide, do not hesitate to IM me.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:16 PM

Thanks, we are signed for Creekside too and as far as Pearsontown, I had to fill out a form and be on the waiting list; they told me perhaps is going to be for the next year round : (
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary