U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 05:13 PM

2,378 posts, read 2,352,131 times

Advertisements

...hopefully something worthy of being downtown replaces it.

------------------------------------

https://abc11.com/food/downtown-rale...onths/4977936/

The celebrity burger franchise, started by Mark, Donnie and Paul Wahlberg in their hometown of Boston, opened next door to the ABC11 newsroom on Fayetteville Street in May.

The restaurant is currently involved in a lawsuit but the property manager didn't elaborate on the details of the suit when talking to ABC11.

A Wake County Sheriff's Office sign that says "Do Not Enter" was placed in the window Friday morning.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2018, 06:57 PM

6,069 posts, read 4,431,120 times
Way too many better options in the downtown Raleigh area - Chuck's, Bad Daddy's, MoeJoe's, heck even Char-Grill - that you don't have to spend $20 at Wahlburger's for a burger.

Old 12-28-2018, 07:05 PM

1,142 posts, read 912,683 times
Did they close because of the lawsuit or the lack of business? I haven’t heard anyone talk about this place.

Old 12-28-2018, 07:30 PM

2,464 posts, read 3,866,394 times
I had completely forgotten it was there. And I'm downtown a lot! I'm happy to eat Bad Daddy's.

Old 12-28-2018, 08:08 PM

6,069 posts, read 4,431,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
I had completely forgotten it was there. And I'm downtown a lot! I'm happy to eat Bad Daddy's.
It's in a terrible location, outside of festivals on Fayetteville Street, there isn't much on that street to draw people to that location. Most of the restaurants that do good are on Wilmington Street and that's where most of the pedestrian activity is.

I also read the reviews on Yelp and think there were some management/staff issues as well.....

Old 12-28-2018, 08:42 PM

3,155 posts, read 7,110,704 times
I’m glad Downtown Raleigh shunned this expensive out-of-town chain. Maybe it won’t become Charlotte 2.0 after all

Old 12-28-2018, 09:08 PM

8,679 posts, read 13,043,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farebluenc View Post
Did they close because of the lawsuit or the lack of business? I haven’t heard anyone talk about this place.
When that sign is posted its pretty much always an eviction. Probably a suit over breaking the lease.

Old 12-29-2018, 07:13 AM

39,467 posts, read 68,449,837 times
Shucks. Where will Donnie eat in July?

https://www.newsobserver.com/enterta...219661770.html

Old 12-29-2018, 07:29 AM
DPK

4,323 posts, read 4,916,558 times
It took them so bloody long to open the location that they burned through what little hype they had. By the time they opened nobody cared or remembered that they were a thing. I know I forgot and just assumed they were still under construction/closed. Had no idea they even opened.

Plus as others have mentioned, there are better "local" options. I agree with Dire Wolf that the vibe in Raleigh to an extent isn't as corporate or "Charlotte 2.0" so to speak. Raleigh has retained a bit more historical character than Charlotte has in its downtown area. That doesn't bode well for places like Wahlburger in general here, as I think our surging multi-university population would rather patronize bars/restaurants that are more eclectic.

That said, Raleigh's downtown is slowly getting more main-stream for sure. Places like Publix and Urban Outfitters are testing the waters as population in the downtown core can now start sustaining retail like that. I just hope we don't go full on vanilla ice-cream like how Charlotte feels.

Old 12-29-2018, 08:05 AM

2,378 posts, read 2,352,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
It took them so bloody long to open the location that they burned through what little hype they had. By the time they opened nobody cared or remembered that they were a thing. I know I forgot and just assumed they were still under construction/closed. Had no idea they even opened.

Plus as others have mentioned, there are better "local" options. I agree with Dire Wolf that the vibe in Raleigh to an extent isn't as corporate or "Charlotte 2.0" so to speak. Raleigh has retained a bit more historical character than Charlotte has in its downtown area. That doesn't bode well for places like Wahlburger in general here, as I think our surging multi-university population would rather patronize bars/restaurants that are more eclectic.

That said, Raleigh's downtown is slowly getting more main-stream for sure. Places like Publix and Urban Outfitters are testing the waters as population in the downtown core can now start sustaining retail like that. I just hope we don't go full on vanilla ice-cream like how Charlotte feels.

Excellent post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary