Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 08:41 AM

10 posts, read 11,653 times

Advertisements

We're considering buying a used car (maybe new if we can spring for one). We've narrowed down to a honda or toyota, preferably hybrid. We see a few dealerships on the map and will likely try a few of them but in your experience, did you like any of them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2017, 08:53 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,574,832 times
I've had two great buying experiences with Fred Anderson Toyota which was preceded by two less than impressive attempted buying experiences with Leith Toyota.

I also had one unpleasant service experience with Leith Honda nearly ten years ago but I'm not sure that's relevant any longer.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:57 AM

163 posts, read 154,620 times
Everyone is going to have differing opinions on this topic, I'm sure...lol.

That said, I've bought six Toyotas in a row at Fred Anderson from Carl Anderson (no relation). He has always done right by me and my family.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:05 AM

821 posts, read 1,462,412 times
Too funny - I was made miserable by Fred Anderson's service department, and actually preferred my interactions with Leith when shopping for a new Toyota (and never forgave Marc Anderson for the bait/switch attempt). That said, I bought a Mazda

Old 03-14-2017, 09:13 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,445,190 times
We visit Leith for service (on Capital) and like it. They have always been excellent and offer fair prices. We have a Prius.

There are some seriously amazing deals on used hybrids with the lull in gas prices. If we were shopping now I would hands down be buying used and looking extremely hard at the Volt.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:23 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,184,660 times
We bought our car from Autopark Honda and was super pleased. I think it's owned by Leith.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:38 AM

1,279 posts, read 1,722,554 times
Another vote for Autopark Honda.

Can't help you with Toyota.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:43 AM

19,436 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Worst buying experience ever was at leith Toyota. The sales manager literally held onto my husband's door and wouldn't let him close it when we decided to leave. Awful, and we ended up leasing a Hyundai.

A few years later, we wanted a Camry again. Marc Jacobsen pulled a bait and switch and gave me numbers that greatly exceeded my estimates. Southern States gave me okay numbers, but a clueless salesperson. Visited Fred Anderson who is very close to our house. The salesman was polite, very experienced and non confrontational. He was unable to provide me with pricing while I was at the dealership due to a computer glitch, but promised to call and email me within a couple of hours. I never heard from him until a few weeks later after the CSI survey lady called to follow up.

By that time, I had purchased the Camry from Pinehurst Toyota through USAA. Easy breezy transaction and excellent pricing.

Never looked at Honda - I wanted blind side detection on both sides of the car, not just the right hand camera (which I found distracting).

Old 03-14-2017, 09:48 AM

19,436 posts, read 27,827,273 times
PS Based on DH's professional experience with dealerships, I would USUALLY expect the management and sales style to be different between the new car, used car and service departents. So my poor experiences with new car purchases might have been entirely different if I were buying used.

That said, I take my Toyota to Fred Anderson for warranty and free service, and their follow up still sucks, including forgetting to call me when the car is done.

I'll be delighted when my 2 years free service period is over and I can pay out of pocket at WASP.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:50 AM

5,882 posts, read 6,950,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teaqueen84 View Post
We're considering buying a used car (maybe new if we can spring for one). We've narrowed down to a honda or toyota, preferably hybrid. We see a few dealerships on the map and will likely try a few of them but in your experience, did you like any of them?
For used, also look at other sources. The last couple I bought I found through Craigslist. Wherever you go, even if it is a "certified" car from a dealer, take it to an independent mechanic for an inspection, as a condition for purchase.

For new, look at places like Costco, TrueCar, etc to eliminate the headache of negotiating with the dealer. If you want to go on your own, do the negotiation through e-mail/text instead of at the dealership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary