Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 07:43 AM

205 posts, read 182,625 times

Advertisements

Cant China do this cheaper than us? Or is this how we make America great again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2019, 08:58 AM

555 posts, read 500,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OberlinSouth View Post
That area hasn't already been permitted as a quarry. It's airport land.

The area south of I-40 that is currently Crabtree Park was largely RDU property the last time I checked. RDU had earmarked large portions of the park for future development, though that might have changed by now.

The Wake Stone quarry adjacent to Umstead will be tapped out eventually. Wake Stone would like to pay to start new operations in close proximity to the existing quarry on public land. It's very low hanging fruit from a business perspective.

This one quarry probably isn't going to make a dent in the price of stone for granite countertops.

I believe Wake County has counter offered to lease the property in question. If Wake County leased the property then this land could possibly be used for RDU development in the future if needed. If this land is quarried it will have limited future uses.

RDU could lease the land for recreation now, and then when the lease expires in the future, if the price of gravel is a lot higher, then they could always lease it to a stone corp in the future. The granite isn't going anywhere. If they put the site on the open market it could generate more than currently offered.

The quarry is offering $24M for 105 acres that will largely be unusable once the quarry is done with it. Even if quarries are needed for development, this sale is going to primarily benefit Wake Stone and their shareholders. There is little public benefit to leasing the quarry site.

The quarry lease proposal comes out to $685,000/year for 105 acres of land. That seems like a small amount to me for land inside I-540.
I don't know exactly what products Wake Stone makes but I highly doubt it's granite, as I don't think that's available as a resource in the Triangle area. So I don't know why there's any suggestion of any impact or not in the price of granite countertops. I was just saying in my earlier post that such a product is in very high demand... But it's a little odd that people don't want the activity required to give them such a product anywhere near them, or they act like they don't want the mining activity at all, even when it can be practical to do so.

Clearly whatever is being dug from the area quarries is also in high demand or they would be seeking an expansion.

Old 01-14-2019, 09:24 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,128,951 times
All the answers are literally a 2 second google search...

"Stone from Triangle Quarry is hard meta-volcanic rock. Mostly used for rip rap. Riprap is rock or other material used to armor shorelines, streambeds, bridge abutments, pilings and other shoreline structures against scour and water or ice erosion."

...there ya go.

Old 01-14-2019, 09:54 AM

4,261 posts, read 4,712,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
Sad! Cement is made from dirt not diamonds dig elsewhere
Nobody mentioned cement until you did. Cement and concrete are two different things. Cement is made by processing specific silicates, oxides, and sulfates found in the ground... it's not just "dirt". Cement goes into concrete along with sand, gravel (where it's available), and crushed rock from quarries.

Old 01-14-2019, 10:01 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,762,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
Nobody mentioned cement until you did. Cement and concrete are two different things. Cement is made by processing specific silicates, oxides, and sulfates found in the ground... it's not just "dirt". Cement goes into concrete along with sand, gravel (where it's available), and crushed rock from quarries.
Beat me to it!

Old 01-14-2019, 10:06 AM

347 posts, read 522,066 times
As a frequent user of Umstead park, I'd much rather see that parcel preserved as open space and potentially made part of Umstead.

I find it hard to imagine how a quarry would benefit the people of the triangle better than more green space which is open for public use.

Old 01-14-2019, 10:18 AM

4,303 posts, read 5,988,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKlunk View Post
I find it hard to imagine how a quarry would benefit the people of the triangle better than more green space which is open for public use.
It's not intended to benefit the people of the Triangle...it's intended to benefit RDU and Wake Stone. If the people of the Triangle want to see a benefit, they'll need to pay for it.

Old 01-14-2019, 10:23 AM

4,985 posts, read 3,963,948 times
"...the big hole in the ground wouldn't be good for much."

in Orange County, OWASA will use ASC's big hole in the ground:

"This water supply option involves the expansion of OWASA’s existing Stone Quarry
Reservoir through continued mining by the American Stone Company (ASC) at the
adjacent quarry pit. The quarry volume that will ultimately be available for
OWASA’s water supply at the planned termination of mining activities in year 2030..."

Old 01-14-2019, 10:31 AM

555 posts, read 500,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
"...the big hole in the ground wouldn't be good for much."

in Orange County, OWASA will use ASC's big hole in the ground:

"This water supply option involves the expansion of OWASA’s existing Stone Quarry
Reservoir through continued mining by the American Stone Company (ASC) at the
adjacent quarry pit. The quarry volume that will ultimately be available for
OWASA’s water supply at the planned termination of mining activities in year 2030..."
Interesting. Generally speaking, people know very little about reclamation options and activities after mining is complete. That's probably due to lack of PR on the part of mines, and the images many people have of mining from decades or even centuries ago now. Things have changed... Except for the majority of people's perceptions.

Old 01-14-2019, 10:32 AM

812 posts, read 831,940 times
Seems incredibly short-sighted by RDU to lease this land as a quarry to be used to produce gravel basically. The long-game is developing it as more recreational and park area that adds to the quality of life that tends to attract and retain the very type of talent that might actually regularly use RDU (flights) for business and pleasure. Talkin-bout educated, active, motivated, energetic professionals.....with disposable incomes. These people could live anywhere remember.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary