Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 09:52 AM

7 posts, read 13,586 times

Advertisements

We are putting closed bottles filled with water in each toilet tank: when it refills is stops earlier than usual thus using less water each time. My elementary school student brought this advice from her teacher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 10:44 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
"If it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown, flush it down".
And if you're male and have a reasonably private back yard, step outside to go, if it's after dark (for "yellow", anyway--please do not, for "brown"!!). Keeps it out of the toilet altogether!

Most of all, I hope these methods will for the most part be adopted PERMANENTLY, water shortage or no water shortage, because as the population here explodes, it will take less and less severe droughts to cause water crises. Really, is there EVER a need to run the water while you brush your teeth? Do you EVER need to flush 7 gallons of clean water for half a cup of tinkle?

I hope the crisis of the past winter will make everythink think of the value of that stuff coming out of the spigot no matter what the water situtation is! Why run it if you don't need to, ever!

Old 04-08-2008, 11:01 AM

715 posts, read 1,038,510 times
Well, our house is on a well, so technically we never feel like our restrictions ease. We're always very conservative with the faucet out there.

The paper plates one is one we're employing. I've even taken to re-using a paper plate multiple times as well before tossing it.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:35 AM

718 posts, read 2,972,254 times
We replaced our fescue grass with Bermuda grass and haven't had to water the lawn in 2 years. Saved a ton of water and a ton of money.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:06 PM

337 posts, read 1,138,131 times
I have eschewed the water in my bourbon.

I have fescue grass, but I never water it. If it goes dormant, it goes dormant.
I didn't water it once last summer and it is green as ever this spring.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:39 PM

108 posts, read 494,317 times
Laser Hair Removal!

Old 04-09-2008, 07:45 PM

21 posts, read 74,963 times
I was trying the yellow/brown thought, but then installed a dual flush retrofit kit on my toilet (1/2 flush for #1; Full Flush for #2). Cost about $50.00 but I feel like I can flush each time and still save water. Putting the kits on the remaining toilets in the house now as well. It took us long enough to get our young son trained to flush the toilet, this way we don't have to back track!

Another thing I do is to use makeup wipes so that mascara doesn't get on my towels and require additional washings to clean them.

We all need to remember that even though the lakes have filled up, we never know when the next rain might actually come!

Old 04-09-2008, 07:50 PM

553 posts, read 2,331,341 times
Rain barrels baby!

Old 04-10-2008, 05:31 AM

21 posts, read 74,963 times
I have 2 rain barrels, painted them to color coordinate with the trim on the house. Plan to add 2 more (front of the house) when I feel that I'm able to do some landscaping to have them blend in a bit more. But the current 2 have provided sufficient water to supply the 4 and the flower beds since November.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:26 AM

469 posts, read 1,174,848 times
When u turn on the shower and its too cold to get in capture that cold water and use to for something else. I use mine to fill the dog's water bowl or to water my house plants. It saves about a gallon of water a day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary