Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 10:47 AM

153 posts, read 458,615 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious, if you work in downtown Raleigh, and you get fed up with Wake County schools, then what are your options? Where can you live that is still in the triangle area, has a reasonable commute, and has good schools? By that I mean:
No reassignments
Good test scores
Low student teacher/ratios
SAFE!

Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 10:54 AM

718 posts, read 2,964,323 times
IMO Chapel Hill is the only "safe" option right now.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:55 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,071,413 times
Northern Durham, SW Durham, Chapel Hill/Carrboro & western Orange County.

I'm currently in Wake but looking for the same things as you before my son starts Kindergarten in 1.5 years. We've really zoned in on a couple of areas in northern Durham...mainly in the Easley and Little River Elementary School zones.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:00 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,024,587 times
A lot of people who work in downtown Raleigh are moving to Clayton in Johnston County and seem to be very happy with Clayton area schools. Plus it's not too bad of a commute from Clayton to downtown Raleigh.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:09 AM

718 posts, read 2,964,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
A lot of people who work in downtown Raleigh are moving to Clayton in Johnston County and seem to be very happy with Clayton area schools. Plus it's not too bad of a commute from Clayton to downtown Raleigh.

I would have said Johnston County, but its a growing area and may run into reassignment issues down the road.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:18 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,024,587 times
I would agree with that. Any area which has a sharp rise in incoming students may eventually be faced with reassignment. But Johnston Co. doesn't currently praactice reassignments for diversity reasons if that is what the OP is talking about.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:20 AM

161 posts, read 600,261 times
If you work in downtown Raleigh, want no reassignments, good scores, good student/teacher ratios, a short commute, and a safe neighborhood, you could live near . . . . . DOWNTOWN RALEIGH. I have lived here for 22 years. The elementary school has never been reassigned, and the middle school and high school only once, about twelve years ago. Why? Because this area is already built up -- not much room for new homes. There are new condos, but most of those folks don't have school-aged children. Also, downtown is a diverse area already.

Our elementary school, Emma Conn, is lovely. Lots of very involved parents, and wonderful teachers. The other downtown schools are very good as well -- Washington, Underwood, & Wiley. Olds and Joyner are not much further out. None are overcrowded because they are in such an old area. They were built in the days when every house had three or four or six kids.

This is a safe area. I've never had a break-in in 22 years, not even of my car.

I ride my bicycle seven blocks to work.

There are lots of little kids and they play together in the parks and in their yards. The older kids ride their bikes all over town.

Check out the old neighborhoods downtown! We have potlucks, art walks, easter egg hunts, pig-pickins, parades, picnics, cops on horses, creeks and parks to play in, hills to sled on. We even have hawks and foxes and raccoons.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:27 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,965,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post

I agree! I moved to Johnston County (Clayton) from Raleigh partially because of the school reassignments. I actually like the schools better in JC.

You can take hwy 70 from Clayton into Garner and get into downtown Raleigh from there. About a 20 min commute.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:03 PM

906 posts, read 2,374,883 times
Quote:
The other downtown schools are very good as well -- Washington, Underwood, & Wiley. Olds and Joyner are not much further out. None are overcrowded because they are in such an old area.
Underwood, Joyner and Olds are overcrowded according to WCPSS. I think there will be somewhat of a reassignment shake up once Lacy's renovations are done.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:19 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,426,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by askmisterbrown View Post
If you work in downtown Raleigh, want no reassignments, good scores, good student/teacher ratios, a short commute, and a safe neighborhood, you could live near . . . . . DOWNTOWN RALEIGH. I have lived here for 22 years. The elementary school has never been reassigned, and the middle school and high school only once, about twelve years ago. Why? Because this area is already built up -- not much room for new homes. There are new condos, but most of those folks don't have school-aged children. Also, downtown is a diverse area already.

Our elementary school, Emma Conn, is lovely. Lots of very involved parents, and wonderful teachers. The other downtown schools are very good as well -- Washington, Underwood, & Wiley. Olds and Joyner are not much further out. None are overcrowded because they are in such an old area. They were built in the days when every house had three or four or six kids.

This is a safe area. I've never had a break-in in 22 years, not even of my car.

I ride my bicycle seven blocks to work.

There are lots of little kids and they play together in the parks and in their yards. The older kids ride their bikes all over town.

Check out the old neighborhoods downtown! We have potlucks, art walks, easter egg hunts, pig-pickins, parades, picnics, cops on horses, creeks and parks to play in, hills to sled on. We even have hawks and foxes and raccoons.
There are old neighborhoods downtown and there are old neighborhoods downtown. This has been discussed before...

We have friends in Historic Oakwood & their car has been broken in - twice in two years. They joke if you leave anything outside its for the "taking." Oh, and you better have a big dog to ward off the panhandlers... of course, this is according to our friends...
Point - I think everybody knows crime knows no boundaries. Stuff happens, it just isn't always reported. Glad to hear your neck of the woods is so super safe, sure hope it continues....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary