Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 05:45 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,339,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Ugh...thanks to this thread, I am "watching my RPM's". This is HARD and I am a good driver that doesn't speed much, doesn't weave in and out of traffic etc, but it seems like a feather on my gas pedal revs it up past 3000 RPMS. What gives? I will say that I drove to Wilmington and back over the weekend and today is Thursday and I still have over a quarter of a tank left. That's good, right?
That's good that's good!!! The deal on the feather pedal is at the lower gears the RPM's must climb to get you up to speed so your transmission can up shift to a higher gear to maintain speed which then drops your RPM's. In other words a feather pedal or a 28 pound turkey pressing pedal when depressed will increase RPM's at the lower speeds to allow your vehicle to accelerate up to your cruising speed and in some cases on Rt 40 and Rt 540 your cruising altitude! Keep up the good work with with the pedal to the minimum!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 05:53 AM

3,305 posts, read 8,555,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Ugh...thanks to this thread, I am "watching my RPM's". This is HARD and I am a good driver that doesn't speed much, doesn't weave in and out of traffic etc, but it seems like a feather on my gas pedal revs it up past 3000 RPMS. What gives? I will say that I drove to Wilmington and back over the weekend and today is Thursday and I still have over a quarter of a tank left. That's good, right?
Keep in mind that in some cars it will be almost impossible to keep the rpm's under 3000 during take offs, since some smaller engines rev higher than bigger ones and some engines are just tuned differently. Don't get bent out of shape if you can only keep it 3000rpms during take off, because for your car that might be the same as me keeping it at 2200rpms.

Dansdrive, I have noticed that since I've been staying under 2500rpms that I am seriously saving some gas. My gas gauge is halfway between 1/2 and 3/4 right now (about 5/8 full) and I have driven 155 miles so far (V6 SUV with a 15.5 gallon gas tank). I usually hit about half full when I get to 150 miles. So by my calculations I should be getting about 60 or so more miles out of this gas tank which equates to 4 miles more per gallon. That's a good 18-20% savings on full just be keeping my rpms under 2500 (which is not too hard to do). The numbers will be a little scewed this time because I'll be leaving on a 4 hour road trip this afternoon driving about 97% interstate. I'm going to keep driving under 2500rpms and report back my increased gas mileage.

I do notice that some people are driving slower out there as I've been keeping it at about 65mph on the beltline portion where the speed limit is 60 mph. I still have MANY cars pass me like I'm barly moving. Not only is it more dangerous to drive at about 90 mph weaving in and out of lanes, but those drivers are wasting so much more gas than me. That's what makes it all worth while. I still get to the places I need to be on time, yet I'm getting 20% better fuel economy.

If everyone started doing this, gas prices would drop like a rock. Could you imagine gas companies dropping 15-20% in profits. They would have to drop the prices. Let's start a movment!!

Old 04-11-2008, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
Keep in mind that in some cars it will be almost impossible to keep the rpm's under 3000 during take offs, since some smaller engines rev higher than bigger ones and some engines are just tuned differently. Don't get bent out of shape if you can only keep it 3000rpms during take off, because for your car that might be the same as me keeping it at 2200rpms.

Dansdrive, I have noticed that since I've been staying under 2500rpms that I am seriously saving some gas. My gas gauge is halfway between 1/2 and 3/4 right now (about 5/8 full) and I have driven 155 miles so far (V6 SUV with a 15.5 gallon gas tank). I usually hit about half full when I get to 150 miles. So by my calculations I should be getting about 60 or so more miles out of this gas tank which equates to 4 miles more per gallon. That's a good 18-20% savings on full just be keeping my rpms under 2500 (which is not too hard to do). The numbers will be a little scewed this time because I'll be leaving on a 4 hour road trip this afternoon driving about 97% interstate. I'm going to keep driving under 2500rpms and report back my increased gas mileage.

I do notice that some people are driving slower out there as I've been keeping it at about 65mph on the beltline portion where the speed limit is 60 mph. I still have MANY cars pass me like I'm barly moving. Not only is it more dangerous to drive at about 90 mph weaving in and out of lanes, but those drivers are wasting so much more gas than me. That's what makes it all worth while. I still get to the places I need to be on time, yet I'm getting 20% better fuel economy.

If everyone started doing this, gas prices would drop like a rock. Could you imagine gas companies dropping 15-20% in profits. They would have to drop the prices. Let's start a movment!!
Excellent report! Thanks Waterboy! Proof that a simple change of habit can save $$. I believe with my 4 cylinder Honda I am squeezing out another 3 - 4 miles per gallon by watching my RPM's and driving the speed limit. Have a safe trip!

Now of coarse if we have a movement we will need to name it. Some I have been thinking of are:

1. Speed to the limit to slow the usage.
2. I can go the speed limit why can't you?
3. 2500 RPM or bust!
4. I'll use the next further gas station thank-you, I'm driving the speed limit.
5. I save water, paper, plastics, and Fuels, Do you?
6. How did you reduce your carbon footprint today? I went 2500...RPM's that is!

C'mon folks be creative in coming up with a name.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:24 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,641,789 times
I was thinking about making a little sign and sticking it in my back window that says, "I'm getting 30 mpg right now. How about you?" I wonder if it would make people slow down or speed up to pass me (and thus wasting more gas) because they feel the Napoleon complex kicking in. Hmm. I don't want to encourage wastefulness, but would still like to promote awareness. Ah, the human psyche, such a complex thing.

Of course, I would have to have another sign for highway driving that says 40 mpg, but I hardly drive on the highway anyway.

I don't mean to sound like I'm bragging, but it sure is a nice feeling to know that I'm saving fuel, cutting my carbon footprint and saving money all at the same time (and all the while, still having fun).

Old 04-11-2008, 08:39 AM

1,467 posts, read 5,127,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post
I was thinking about making a little sign and sticking it in my back window that says, "I'm getting 30 mpg right now. How about you?"
I think that's a great idea! You should have bumper sticks printed and distribute. You never know, it might really catch on!!!

Old 04-11-2008, 08:42 AM

4,606 posts, read 7,687,108 times
Excellent thread all the way around. The more we can do for eachother here in the Triangle the better the Triangle area in the long run.

Old 04-11-2008, 01:23 PM

Some thrift Gas savings tips.. Some in here I will be trying out.

Thirty Gas Saving Tips

Happy Friday all!

Old 04-12-2008, 04:45 AM

1,495 posts, read 3,719,746 times
ride a bike!

Old 04-12-2008, 08:45 AM

47 posts, read 247,479 times
Default Gas Saving Suggestions

These are tips I've been told along the way. I'm not sure if they're all true, but anything that might help is good enough for me!
  1. Keep your tires well inflated.
  2. Get new tires if the treads are too low/uneven.
  3. Make sure tires are well-balanced.
  4. Get a new fuel pump.
  5. Change oil according to schedule.
  6. Do not use your air conditioner when traveling at slower (city) speeds.
  7. Air conditioner (or, better, vent without ac) is more fuel efficient when traveling quickly because there's no excess wind resistance from an open window.
  8. Leave the sunroof closed and the top on the convertible. More wind resistance = the harder your car has to work.
  9. Accelerate slowly, and don't speed, if possible. (I go 5mph over, and it doesn't seem to make much of a difference... but I don't keep track that closely.)
  10. Drive in a higher gear when possible to keep your RPMs low.
  11. Don't drive with one foot on the gas, and one on the brake. (This should be self-explanatory.)
That's all I've got for now.

Old 04-12-2008, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xxtayce View Post
These are tips I've been told along the way. I'm not sure if they're all true, but anything that might help is good enough for me!
  1. Keep your tires well inflated.
  2. Get new tires if the treads are too low/uneven.
  3. Make sure tires are well-balanced.
  4. Get a new fuel pump.
  5. Change oil according to schedule.
  6. Do not use your air conditioner when traveling at slower (city) speeds.
  7. Air conditioner (or, better, vent without ac) is more fuel efficient when traveling quickly because there's no excess wind resistance from an open window.
  8. Leave the sunroof closed and the top on the convertible. More wind resistance = the harder your car has to work.
  9. Accelerate slowly, and don't speed, if possible. (I go 5mph over, and it doesn't seem to make much of a difference... but I don't keep track that closely.)
  10. Drive in a higher gear when possible to keep your RPMs low.
  11. Don't drive with one foot on the gas, and one on the brake. (This should be self-explanatory.)
That's all I've got for now.
Great ideas! Your right air conditioning reduces gas mileage. I'm going to hold off using the air as long as I can!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary