Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 01:40 PM

27 posts, read 95,827 times

Advertisements

Hey people! I need help finding an apartment near UNC Chapel Hill Hospital. I've been searching in Carrboro and CH online. Basically Carrboro seems more expensive, but safer. Whereas CH is cheaper, but most residents mention a lot of petty theft and break-ins. So $500-700 1BR. I prefer to live in an apartment as opposed to someone else's basement (but the more I read about safety issues, the more I'm willing to think about it). Basically if I live in someone's basement I just don't EVER want to cross paths lol, even for washing clothes, dishes etc. This will be my first apartment so of course I want privacy, safety, close to the Hospital and entertainment.

Thanks for your help ahead of time!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 08:33 AM

Come on folks! I know you can give some ideas Leave 'em.

Old 04-09-2008, 02:08 PM

360 posts, read 993,083 times
I think your online research may have been somewhat misleading, as the conclusions you reached regarding price and crime in the two towns don't really match the reality. You'll find a range in prices in both and the incidence of petty crime about the same too. I wouldn't worry about which town as much as finding an apartment that suits you. You should try to get something close to a bus route, since parking at the hospital is scarce and expensive. Buses are free in CH/C.

You need to go and look in person. Some complexes have a large student population, and can be noisy. That may or may not bother you, but you need to get a sense of how a place feels to you and ask questions when you're there.

Old 04-09-2008, 02:49 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,504,967 times
Carrboro is less expensive overall than Chapel Hill, so it may just be the specific apts you were looking at. I don't know where the crime stats came from, but if you look in the paper each week, you'll see there is petty crime in both places. There's more of it in certain parts of Chapel Hill and Carrboro than other parts but you're not going to find much of a difference.

Old 04-09-2008, 02:59 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,267,243 times
For that price range, you're going to be in the apartment complexes that have higher incidences of petty crime and undergraduate noise, regardless of whether you're in Chapel Hill or Carrboro. If you're intent on having your own place, I would seriously consider adjusting your budget up by $150-200 a month, unless of course you don't mind undergrad noise and the (slightly) higher risk of falling victim to petty crime. Another option would be to share a house with other roommates, which would bring your monthly rent down quite a bit.

I second the need to find something close to the bus route. All the buses are free and go where you need to.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:29 AM

Yes, close to bus routes would be a plus. Well I will keep all of this in mind. Unfortunately I'm 3 hours away and in class everyday!! So I have just been asking people who lived in the area to give me their opinion. Seems like no matter what I will be taking a risk b/c I can't visit as often as I want.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:47 PM

823 posts, read 3,923,062 times
The Chapel Hill Police Dept website has a list of apartment complexes and their crime rates. There have been ~5 muggings at CH and Carrboro apt. complexes in the past week. You can read about ithem in the Herald Sun and the CH News.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:02 PM

27 posts, read 81,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alice_61 View Post
The Chapel Hill Police Dept website has a list of apartment complexes and their crime rates. There have been ~5 muggings at CH and Carrboro apt. complexes in the past week. You can read about ithem in the Herald Sun and the CH News.
i can't seem to find this on the site. could you direct me to where they have the crime stats for various apartment complexes? thanks ahead of time.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:13 PM

413 posts, read 1,255,388 times
I think you'd be best off towards the northern end of Chapel Hill, which is still an easy commute and on a bus line. The area I'm talking of is on Weaver Dairy Rd, and there are about 3 - 5 apartment/townhouse complexes (townhouses available for rent). Seems that area has had very little crime, including petty theft and car break-ins. There is also a strip mall, a Harris Teeter (more upscale groceries) and a Food Lion (standard issue), 2 movie theatres (one is an artsy movie house), restaurants (sushi, mexican, and asian), post office, coffee shop all within walking distance. The drawback: it's not within walking distance of Franklin Street or Weaver Street Market (but that is the trade off). It is within a 10 to 15 minutes car ride though (depending on time of day).

Old 04-10-2008, 06:15 PM

360 posts, read 993,083 times
I agree with ausmerika's recommendation of that general area, which is called Timberlyne. There's a complex called Timberlyne Village, in fact, that might be a good place to start. Rents begin at about $615 I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary