Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 09:03 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinegirl19 View Post
I'm torn because where I live now we have an awesome resort-style pool with a waterslide and splash pad for my daughter, and 12 Oaks looks very similar! But it seems the big, master-planned communities are more isolated...not close to all the action. And definitely not walkable/bikable to the action. Holly Springs is like, what, 30 minutes to downtown?

My daughter is too old for mommy/me groups - she's tween-aged. Soon it will just be "drive me over to the mall, the movies, etc.!" But I still want her to have to neighborhood friends to play with.

I don't really enjoy the sort of "retirement" lifestyle activities that seem to always be going on in the suburbs - like Bunco! haha! Sorry! I guess I've just had enough of that where I live now. I'm more excited to have a city to explore. But I can't afford a big city like NYC and still give my daughter the quality of life I want her to have.

I'm partial to newer homes with open floorplans, because they don't tend to need much (or any) updating upon move-in - and the less work, the better.

Garage, yes. Don't care about where rooms are located. I like 2-stories.

That said, I'm sort of keeping my mind open to things with regards to the house, as long as the community is a fit since houses can be updated. (eg swapping out cabinets or flooring).
Check out Bedford and Falls River in North Raleigh.

Heritage in Wake Forest is a similar neighborhood but you didn't mention being interested in Wake Forest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 07:50 AM

812 posts, read 831,112 times
Quote:
I'm torn because where I live now we have an awesome resort-style pool with a waterslide and splash pad for my daughter, and 12 Oaks looks very similar! But it seems the big, master-planned communities are more isolated...not close to all the action. And definitely not walkable/bikable to the action. Holly Springs is like, what, 30 minutes to downtown?

My daughter is too old for mommy/me groups - she's tween-aged. Soon it will just be "drive me over to the mall, the movies, etc.!" But I still want her to have to neighborhood friends to play with.

I don't really enjoy the sort of "retirement" lifestyle activities that seem to always be going on in the suburbs - like Bunco! haha! Sorry! I guess I've just had enough of that where I live now. I'm more excited to have a city to explore. But I can't afford a big city like NYC and still give my daughter the quality of life I want her to have.

I'm partial to newer homes with open floorplans, because they don't tend to need much (or any) updating upon move-in - and the less work, the better.

Garage, yes. Don't care about where rooms are located. I like 2-stories.

That said, I'm sort of keeping my mind open to things with regards to the house, as long as the community is a fit since houses can be updated. (eg swapping out cabinets or flooring).
I think you have a pretty good grasp on things. Most of Holly Springs is going to be 30+ minutes to Raleigh. The extreme Northeast "corner" of it may be a little closer..... but mostly 2-lane "backroads" with traffic getting worse everyday. No mass transit options either. DT Cary and North Raleigh at least have bus service to DT Raleigh -and to other parts of the Triangle (if needed). Talks of commuter rail too.... but that is a looooong way off.

Also, as you alluded to, 12 Oaks, and other new large developments, are fairly isolated, self-contained, and do their own thing. It has a couple miles of "private trails" (cute) but nothing like the 200+ miles of interconnected greenway and trails that would be out your front door in parts of Cary and Raleigh (Cary's system connects to both Raleigh's and Durham's). In 12 Oaks (and similar hoods) you are really buying into the neighborhood and not so much into the larger community. If you want the Truman Show-Wisteria Lane-Stepford Wives experience... then yeah.....12 Oaks would fit the bill. Personally, I believe 12 Oaks, and HS in general, is the antithesis of what it sounds like you are looking for.

Totally right to keep in mind you can update/change the house but not the overall location & community.

Last edited by ncrunner77; 01-28-2019 at 08:02 AM.. Reason: add antithesis

Old 01-28-2019, 08:42 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
Quote:

I am in my 40’s but I still enjoy making new friends and doing things, like going to museums, outdoor festivals, concerts, bars, restaurants, fairs, plays, and other cultural events. I also do a ton of kid-friendly stuff with my daughter but these mommy-and-me years don’t last forever.

While I’m not actively trying to date right now, it would be nice to have the opportunity one day. Here, almost all the men I encounter are married so it’s not much of an option.
You should read this: https://raleighmag.com/2017/02/single-in-raleigh/

"40-something and dating in Raleigh…

In a word: difficult. I do feel that so many people meet their spouses and significant others during college and their 20s. I realize that the Raleigh area has been named one of the best for dating, but apparently I am not looking in the right places. My job also requires me to be at work very early in the morning. Because of this, late nights out on the town are a very rare occurrence. Perhaps this limits my exposure to meeting new people."

"50-something and dating in Raleigh…

Fifty-plus is a great age; however, Raleigh is not ideal for mature singles. It is much more family oriented without a sophisticated cosmopolitan center. Many men at this age have children below 18 as their former wives had careers prior to children. After kids and dogs, they do not seem to have time to date. Even more challenging as a woman without children is meeting men without children."

Old 01-28-2019, 09:04 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,101,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrunner77 View Post
Personally, I believe 12 Oaks, and HS in general, is the antithesis of what it sounds like you are looking for.
You really dislike Holly Springs huh? I'm a "middle aged" almost single woman - not Christian, runner, living in Holly Springs and I don't find it to be a Stepford community at all. I lived in Cary when I first moved to the Triangle and I prefer life in Holly Springs.

Old 02-26-2019, 04:52 PM

13 posts, read 11,742 times
Just catching up with the latest responses! One thing I’m finding it difficult to research is which neighborhoods have good pools. (Yes, I’m from Florida and spoiled! Haha!). You can filter by “pool” but not “good pool” on the real estate sites. It seems like to get a big, resort-style pool with things like a waterslide or a splash pad I’d have to move out to the ‘burbs. And I’m leaning towards DT Cary and Garner and maybe parts of Apex in order to stay closer to city life. If anyone knows of neighborhoods with big, fancy pools in my favorite spots - or if there are private clubs I could join instead - lmk!

Old 02-26-2019, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKB View Post
You really dislike Holly Springs huh? I'm a "middle aged" almost single woman - not Christian, runner, living in Holly Springs and I don't find it to be a Stepford community at all. I lived in Cary when I first moved to the Triangle and I prefer life in Holly Springs.
Can you tell me why?

Old 02-26-2019, 05:13 PM

2,843 posts, read 2,973,786 times
Quote:
Just catching up with the latest responses! One thing I’m finding it difficult to research is which neighborhoods have good pools. (Yes, I’m from Florida and spoiled! Haha!). You can filter by “pool” but not “good pool” on the real estate sites. It seems like to get a big, resort-style pool with things like a waterslide or a splash pad I’d have to move out to the ‘burbs. And I’m leaning towards DT Cary and Garner and maybe parts of Apex in order to stay closer to city life. If anyone knows of neighborhoods with big, fancy pools in my favorite spots - or if there are private clubs I could join instead - lmk!
Woodcroft in Durham

Old 02-27-2019, 06:25 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,101,844 times
Quote:
Can you tell me why?
I like the "small town feel" of Holly Springs. I enjoy bumping into people I know. We don't have 50 million traffic lights 10 feet away from the last one. It feels peaceful to return there after the work day yet there are plenty of things to do if I chose. When the weather is nice, you see so many people out and about - running, walking, shopping. I can't explain the feeling really - once I enter into Holly Springs I just have a feeling of peace washing over me.

Old 05-18-2019, 08:09 AM

Just an update on this! I did a recon trip this spring and it really helped. I think I would have liked HS if I was married, but it felt too isolated from the city. My current suburb (where I live now) is actually pretty big, I realized. 2 malls, 100 restaurants, ice rink, etc. North Raleigh ended up being the right feel and still close to city things. I fell in love with Falls River in particular and am now just watching listings like a hawk. I guess I’d consider Bedford too, but the lots seem smaller and I don’t like the narrow style houses as much.

Anyway, anything to warn me about in Falls River, please let me know!

Also wow, Raleigh loves carpet! I’ll need a flooring guy to put in wood or laminate, so happily collecting those recommendations too!

Old 03-23-2021, 11:42 PM

23 posts, read 16,915 times
Hi SUnshinegirl.... I see you settled on Falls River. When I was there to visit I loved that area as well. I'm also a single mom with kiddos but can't afford that area so I'm leaning more towards the Garner area. I also like to go out and have a social life, probably along the same lines as you have mention throughout this thread. But I wanted to ask...why did you rule out Garner. You said you were thinking about Garner, what made you rule it out or what were the pros and cons you noticed during your visit? Thanks for any info or from anyone who wants to chime in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary