Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 10:58 AM

124 posts, read 121,584 times

Advertisements

Interesting, thank you all for giving me some good info. Do you think this is an area to stay away from then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2019, 08:09 PM

875 posts, read 1,162,544 times
Hey now, Wakefield Plantation isn't all bad. After all, we're getting a Sheetz!

Seriously though the house I bought in 2011 has gone back up in value but I am not on the golf course side. I do think some of the houses on that side are overpriced for the tiny postage stamps of land they are on but that may not matter to you. The traffic is annoying but getting to RTP from anywhere in Raleigh isn't great.

The schools are good, the community is good, the HOA isn't overbearing and we like our neighbors. We do have some occasional excitement like a domestic shooting, high-schoolers driving fast, carjackers hiding out in the neighborhood and random thefts from unlocked vehicles and open garages. But I wouldn't stay away if you can get a good deal on a house.

Old 02-02-2019, 05:41 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
It is a difficult situation for those people that paid tens of thousands of dollars to back up to the golf courses. That value is no longer there. And, when those golf courses are no longer sustainable, the land is sold and that means houses (better than gas stations) are being built right behind them.

When I show homes that back up to vacant land, I always let the buyers know of my concern as to what can/will be built behind that home. Even if the land is zoned residential, that can be changed.

But...when you have homes that back up to golf courses, does anyone think that it is possible (depending on who owns the golf course) for the golf course to be sold and something else to be built on that property?

A couple of years ago, I noticed that homes in Heritage that backed to the golf course were losing value but when I asked around my office, no one really noticed it. I guess you wouldn't unless you had buyers looking to buy those homes.
Interesting. I feel like the reverse is happening in Macgregor and Preston.

Old 02-02-2019, 07:39 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetta View Post
Interesting, thank you all for giving me some good info. Do you think this is an area to stay away from then?
No, I don't think you should stay away from Wakefield. There are some beautiful homes there.

I'm sure your Agent will check the comps before you make an offer and help you to understand the prices.

Old 02-02-2019, 07:42 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Interesting. I feel like the reverse is happening in Macgregor and Preston.
That is very interesting!

This is why I explain to my clients that when looking at making an offer, it is BEST to use the comps in that neighborhood that they are considering.

I can't tell you how many times sellers want to use comps from a neighborhood that is sooooo different from theirs!

Old 02-04-2019, 05:02 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,422,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
some of those are tract-built homes of far lesser quality than custom homes.

Wakefield itself has struggled since build-out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
The location isn't great. It's a drag to get to RTP from the area, it's a nightmare to get onto/off of 540 during peak drive times and the community doesn't offer much in terms of amenities if you're not a golfer.

Close friends bought a home there in 2007, it lost over 20% in value within the next 18 months and never really rebounded. Many current owners have been under water on their mortgage for more than a decade and are often looking to cut their losses and move on. And to be honest, the quality of the homes is lacking with so many issues caused by inferior materials or sloppy work.

Many of the ones i've seen in the $400k+ price point have site finished wood floors, extensive trim, good quality cabinets, tile in bathrooms. A lot better materials than whats going in at similar price points now. Also one of the few areas in the Triangle that basement homes are not hard to find. However these homes are getting to that age where things start falling apart. Window seals, wood rot, HVAC, and they are looking pretty dated. I think the quality of the homes there are actually pretty good overall but I would never own a one in there unless I got a really great deal on something or absolutely needed a ton of square footage for cheap.

Old 02-04-2019, 08:28 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,341,591 times
OP asked a good question because I myself have wondered and some of the explanations in this thread can be challenged. I don't think it has anything to do with it being a Golf Course or far location.

Quote:
some of those are tract-built homes of far lesser quality than custom homes.
Yes, can not compare tract vs custom but many of the tract homes in Wakefield are John Wieland homes that are much better constructed than most tract homes elsewhere today from Pulte, Lennar, KB, etc.

Quote:
The location isn't great. It's a drag to get to RTP from the area
That hasn't deterred the growth in Wake Forest, Holly Springs, or FV which are equally if not farther out.

Quote:
It doesn't seem like buyers of today think the golf course homes are worth $50,000 more than those that back up to their neighbor's homes.
Many buyers would gladly pay for lots without neighbors backing up vs tiny postage stamp size lots where one can touch their neighbors. That is why houses backing up to woods, golf courses, etc still demand lot premiums.

From my observations, Golf communities such as Preston, MacGregor, and Brier Creek still sell well. Other Golf Communities even farther out than Wakefield TPC such as 12 Oaks and Wake Forest Heritage sell well also. I can't speak for Lochmere or North Ridge as I'm not too familiar with sales there.

Old 02-05-2019, 06:42 AM

124 posts, read 121,584 times
The house I had my eye on apparently was a great deal because it sold in 24 hrs. It was a custom home on .50 acres in a nice section. At under a hundred dollars per sq foot, it seemed too good to be true. I guess that is why it sold so quickly.

I still like the neighborhood, but I agree with the statements made about some sections not being as nice as others.

Old 02-05-2019, 06:54 AM

6,379 posts, read 5,495,991 times
Personally...If I were going to live out that way; I'd find neighborhoods like Bedford/Falls River and Heritage more appealing than Wakefield.

This is mirrored way on the other side of town too in Chatham Co. Governors Club is flat or declining in value while Briar Chapel is selling at a healthy clip (resale in BC does sit for a while since there is still a lot of new construction to be had out there)

Old 02-05-2019, 12:04 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,341,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Personally...If I were going to live out that way; I'd find neighborhoods like Bedford/Falls River and Heritage more appealing than Wakefield.
Maybe you can shed personal insights on why the others are more appealing? And that may help answer the OPs question. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary