Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 06:49 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,726,364 times

Advertisements

It would have to be the tunnel under I-440 on Ligon Street which connects two parts of NCSU's campus.

https://goo.gl/maps/VdxLz25Guzt

I only know this because I used to use it as a cut through when I was a student at NCSU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2019, 07:24 AM

853 posts, read 588,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
It would have to be the tunnel under I-440 on Ligon Street which connects two parts of NCSU's campus.

I only know this because I used to use it as a cut through when I was a student at NCSU.

I thought of this one also, but it's only one lane. Does "sizeable" mean two lanes? Also, consider the definition of a tunnel: A tunnel is an underground passageway, dug through the surrounding soil/earth/rock and enclosed except for entrance and exit, commonly at each end.

Strictly speaking, the two "tunnels" mentioned so far involve a road crossing over another road, which is a bridge. If that's the definition of a tunnel, then every overpass on the beltline is a tunnel.

Nice trivia question.

Old 02-02-2019, 07:31 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,901,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 919 rtp View Post
Ligon St. under the Beltline.

DING! DING!

Points and kudos...

Only used the word "sizeable" because was trying to rule out tiny, "covered underpasses" that tend to put in a separate class from tunnels.

I went through the single-lane tunnel recently for the first time in a while, and the thoughts just poured in...

Firstly, it's such a nice little hidden gem, albeit state property.

Secondly, Raleigh needs more tunnels. I can't think of a practical reason why, but tunnels seem to make a city so much cooler.

Thirdly, I still in awe about how the single lane got approval. There's only a small sign indicating that it's single lane. There isn't any type of traffic control so each driver really depends on the other to be watchful and vigilant.

Fourthly, surprised there haven't been more fender benders in that tunnel.

Old 02-02-2019, 07:37 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,927,154 times
Ah! Didn't think about Ligon. I never went down there, so I thought it was just another overpass

Old 02-02-2019, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Ah! Didn't think about Ligon. I never went down there, so I thought it was just another overpass

It's really a unique, little gem.

When you asked about the amount of lanes, I thought you had the answer lol

Old 02-02-2019, 07:49 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,270,100 times
Man...that tunnel looks like a death trap

Old 02-02-2019, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Man...that tunnel looks like a death trap

You should be a daredevil and try it one day on a whim... a bit of exhilaration and then relief once (or maybe IF) you make it out OK.

You don't know if a car is gonna come speedballing through the other end with no regard for anyone or anything. What a rush! lol

Old 02-02-2019, 07:58 AM

1,322 posts, read 1,257,377 times
I went through it (both ways) one Saturday a couple of years ago on a Saturday when the football team had an away game. Glad I wasn't trying to go through it during a crowded time.

Old 02-02-2019, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 919 rtp View Post
I went through it (both ways) one Saturday a couple of years ago on a Saturday when the football team had an away game. Glad I wasn't trying to go through it during a crowded time.

definitely wouldn't try going through that tunnel when there's heavy traffic. Generally I would think only a game or a major event in that area would bring about heavy traffic. Usually it isn't much traffic at all going through there.

Old 02-02-2019, 08:05 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,927,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
It's really a unique, little gem.

When you asked about the amount of lanes, I thought you had the answer lol
Nope, but I'll check it out next time I go to Raleigh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary