Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 08:38 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,222,381 times

Advertisements

I don't really know how this stuff works, but it seems to me that Google is extremely lucky that the TOC is allowing them to grind up their streets in order to make life easier for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2019, 12:26 PM

368 posts, read 291,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I don't really know how this stuff works, but it seems to me that Google is extremely lucky that the TOC is allowing them to grind up their streets in order to make life easier for them.
That's fairly standard for any resurfacing job; check with the utilities to see if they have any work to be done, and they won't have to repair the roads to the same level as would be typical of a "standalone" project.

Of course, they don't always listen. Had a project in southern Orange County. Checked with the utilities, rebuilt the road (including bike lanes and curb and gutter) and THEN OWASA came in and said they needed to install a brand new main water line. They were NOT allowed to dig up this recently paved road, they had to install the pipe in the berm behind the curb (they had to replace sidewalks, though.)

Old 04-08-2019, 01:30 PM

19,391 posts, read 27,670,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrunner77 View Post
. From what I've seen and read, that foam/gel they put over to keep it down and protect it and seal the street is a joke. It pops up exposing the line, and street, to degradation. Their network in Louisville was literally falling apart as lines popped up out of streets edges and were damaged/broke.

Question is, who pays for this? ToC had to come behind them last year and repave over where they tore up the streets with their microtrenching.

We do have this problem regularly in our neighborhood. With only one exception, it's only the seal that pops up. Google sub-contractors come and fix it. Usually pretty quickly.

Otherwise, truthfully, we're thrilled with Google Fiber for internet. By comparison, Spectrum was ridiculous (but we didn't have the high-speed service that they offer now. But what we did have - 60 mbs I think??? - NEVER worked at that speed.)

However, Google TV left our home after 11 not so wonderful months. Happy again wiht Direct TV.

Old 06-28-2019, 01:43 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,664,997 times
We go the Google Fiber door hanger today notifying us of impending digging and activation in Brookstone. I'm very much looking forward to the installation.

Old 06-28-2019, 02:08 PM

6,808 posts, read 9,013,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
We go the Google Fiber door hanger today notifying us of impending digging and activation in Brookstone. I'm very much looking forward to the installation.
I wouldn't get too excited. Make sure you have the phone number of your utilities (electric, gas, water). So that when the Google contractor cuts a utility line you can have the utility company fix it.

Just recently at my office on Wake Forest Road there was a fiber installer who damaged a power line and many of us had to work from home. This was confirmed by our facilities person.

Old 06-28-2019, 03:33 PM

3,727 posts, read 2,041,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I wouldn't get too excited. Make sure you have the phone number of your utilities (electric, gas, water). So that when the Google contractor cuts a utility line you can have the utility company fix it.

Just recently at my office on Wake Forest Road there was a fiber installer who damaged a power line and many of us had to work from home. This was confirmed by our facilities person.

Not that it is google related however...

Ting is dropping fiber in Heritage; did one side of my corner this week, will do out front next week.

Anyway, even with all of the utility lines marked, they hit my neighbor's gas line two days ago.

Took my dogs out in the afternoon; reeked of gas. Everyone still working, power generators still going.

I walked up and asked "you guys hit a gas line? Is that really a good idea to be running that equipment right there?"

The guys digging literally couldn't have been less concerned.

They called the gas company about 45 mins after they hit the line. Took two gas guys another 45 mins to get the two manes shutoff which would isolate my neighbors house.

I sat there watching; I guess I am just always amazed by incompetence, when the gas guy finally asked me "We appreciate y'all working with us" which was apparently Non Confrontational Southern for "please go back in your house".

Neighbor and I had a good laugh.

Old 06-28-2019, 03:37 PM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 15 days ago)

43,160 posts, read 76,751,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
Not that it is google related however...

Ting is dropping fiber in Heritage; did one side of my corner this week, will do out front next week.

Anyway, even with all of the utility lines marked, they hit my neighbor's gas line two days ago.

Took my dogs out in the afternoon; reeked of gas. Everyone still working, power generators still going.

I walked up and asked "you guys hit a gas line? Is that really a good idea to be running that equipment right there?"

The guys digging literally couldn't have been less concerned.

They called the gas company about 45 mins after they hit the line. Took two gas guys another 45 mins to get the two manes shutoff which would isolate my neighbors house.

I sat there watching; I guess I am just always amazed by incompetence, when the gas guy finally asked me "We appreciate y'all working with us" which was apparently Non Confrontational Southern for "please go back in your house".

Neighbor and I had a good laugh.
The margin of error on utility markings is huge. Even very good contractors are bound to hit something now and then.

Old 06-28-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
The margin of error on utility markings is huge. Even very good contractors are bound to hit something now and then.

The foreman came by after and told me, and I quote "we saw the yellow paint, we just assumed it was deeper than a foot down to the line"

Old 06-28-2019, 03:42 PM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 15 days ago)

43,160 posts, read 76,751,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
The foreman came by after and told me, and I quote "we saw the yellow paint, we just assumed it was deeper than a foot down to the line"
Seems very reasonable, with a frost depth of 15".

Old 06-28-2019, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Seems very reasonable, with a frost depth of 15".
I think the bigger question is....why would you dig right over/near gas line which was “relatively marked” anyway?

They were digging for a node box (not a line trench) they could put it anywhere along the frontage of the guys house...but they picked there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary