Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 12:44 PM
NDS NDS started this thread

58 posts, read 65,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
While I can't speak to what Google will do at install, you may have another option if they cant get it close to your computer.

We have a smart closet in our house, with cat5 jacks in some of the rooms upstairs. I converted our dining room into my home office (which doesnt have a jack).

So I am running Powerline adapters to my home office with a switch off of that for my Home Server, Work Laptop, PS4 and NAS Cloud Device.

Basically one Powerline adapter plugs into the wall near the router with a cat5 connection to the router. The other Powerline adapter is in my office with cat5 to the switch and the previously mentioned devices connected to the switch.

I think they make PowerLine adapters up to 2Gbps so you shouldnt lose much on direct line speed even on a gigabit line.

EDIT TO ADD - for those unfamiliar, Powerline adapters pump internet around your home using the existing electric lines in the home. It is an older technology that apparently used to suck really bad. They have made massive improvements to it in the last few years.
Yes, but at end of day, the only way to really take advantage of as much of the `gigabit' speed to the house, is via direct cat6/ethernet hook into the PC/compute device. Redistributing the internet access / gigabit line around inside the house without wires, whether that's wifi / powerline / etc, sorta gives up a lot of that highway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2019, 12:57 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,053,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDS View Post
Yes, but at end of day, the only way to really take advantage of as much of the `gigabit' speed to the house, is via direct cat6/ethernet hook into the PC/compute device. Redistributing the internet access / gigabit line around inside the house without wires, whether that's wifi / powerline / etc, sorta gives up a lot of that highway.
I don't disagree. There would certainly be some loss without having the direct line.

I guess it depends on what needs you have on that machine.

For instance, none of my devices are hardwired direct to the Router. My home server; which among other things serves, up my Movie/TV show collection to 30 something devices (both on my network and to friends) via Plex, just got 180Mbps down and 17Mbps up and there is never any buffering.

I guess if you are playing a cutting edge game it could be different.

Old 02-07-2019, 01:27 PM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDS View Post
For folks that got Google Fiber installed, what do the techs actually do? I've read about the "FiberJack" that goes on an external wall mount point, and then internally there's the "NetworkBox" which is essentially a wifi/router. Will Google techs run Ethernet inside your house if the location you want the NetworkBox is *NOT* right next to the FiberJack? I live in a 3 story townhome, and all of my computer equipment is on the 2nd floor. This works out for Spectrum since house is wired for cable and I can just place the modem on 2nd floor, cat6 between it and my home router/PC. With Google Fiber it would be a negative if I either have to pay someone to run cat6 inside separately, or resign myself to wifi only for my homePC.
The Fiber Jack goes on the *inside* of your house.

First they install a Network Interface Unit on the outside of your house and run a drop from their main line up to your house. That can be done separately from the in-home installation process since it's all external.

For the in-home install, they will then run a fiber line from the NIU to a Fiber Jack the tech will install inside your home. I can't really speak to how much they're willing to fish lines though. I wanted my Fiber Jack on the opposite side of my house from where the line was coming in at the NIU and they were happy to run fiber through my crawlspace and come up inside the wall on the far side of the house. From there it was an easy install of the Fiber Jack and a short run of CAT to where I wanted my network box.

Old 02-07-2019, 02:46 PM

18,042 posts, read 15,639,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post

They really need to split their Tier 1 support into "Customers who know what they are doing" and "People who think there is some wizard pumping the internets into the air".
The sad thing is you've just described the Customer Service group. Like when I want to know if there's an outage affecting my area, I don't need to go through troubleshooting power cycling modem. I already did that, twice. I just want 1 piece of info: outage or no outage? If no outage then I'll set up an appointment.

Old 02-09-2019, 08:19 AM

812 posts, read 831,112 times
Recent articled in TBJ about Google pulling out of Louisville but "reaffirming" they are still committed to roll out in the Triangle. IMHO, any time you have to "reaffirm" something it is not a good sign. Supposedly the new "faster" instillation method they were using in Louisville failed. Wonder if this is the micro-trenching they've also been doing in the Triangle. https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle...lead-says.html

Then just yesterday a Google rep knocked on our door trying to recruit us. We get a flyer/info packet from them probably once a week trying to get us to join. I think Google is getting desperate here. They underestimated the capital, cost and time involved with instillation and now I think they have overestimated demand. Of course, the same time they were coming through our neighboorhood AT&T, Spectrum, and somebody else came through and laid their high speed fiber. I mean, our yard was dug up like 3-4 times last year with all the new cables being laid... ridiculous (but I digress). One reason I haven't signed up for any fiber yet.... just tired of my yard being dug up. It is just now looking "recovered".

According to this TechCrunch article it might be the micro-trenching that failed. https://techcrunch.com/2019/02/07/go...of-louisville/ They have done this all around us in Cary. It is quick but it tears up the streets pretty good and the foam they use to hold the wires down in the street bed "edge" bubbles up. Only if the City paves over them do they stay secured. What a shame if Google teared up all these streets in Cary, and other places, with there micro-trenching and left the municipalities to fix them and then, on top of that, discontinue the service. Seems like there should/could be a lawsuit -unless the Cities gave up those rights in order to be one of the "chosen few" for Google. Sounds like Holly Springs made the "smart move" going with the one time "consolidation prize" of Ting (a small telecommunications firm from MS).... who would have thunk. ting>Google.

Old 02-09-2019, 08:24 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrunner77 View Post
Recent articled in TBJ about Google pulling out of Louisville but "reaffirming" they are still committed to roll out in the Triangle. IMHO, any time you have to "reaffirm" something it is not a good sign. Supposedly the new "faster" instillation method they were using in Louisville failed. Wonder if this is the micro-trenching they've also been doing in the Triangle. https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle...lead-says.html

Then just yesterday a Google rep knocked on our door trying to recruit us. We get a flyer/info packet from them probably once a week trying to get us to join. I think Google is getting desperate here. They underestimated the capital, cost and time involved with instillation and now I think they have overestimated demand. Of course, the same time they were coming through our neighboorhood AT&T, Spectrum, and somebody else came through and laid their high speed fiber. I mean, our yard was dug up like 3-4 times last year with all the new cables being laid... ridiculous (but I digress). One reason I haven't signed up for any fiber yet.... just tired of my yard being dug up. It is just now looking "recovered".

According to this TechCrunch article it might be the micro-trenching that failed. https://techcrunch.com/2019/02/07/go...of-louisville/ They have done this all around us in Cary. It is quick but it tears up the streets pretty good and the foam they use to hold the wires down in the street bed "edge" bubbles up. Only if the City paves over them do they stay secured. What a shame if Google teared up all these streets in Cary, and other places, with there micro-trenching and left the municipalities to fix them and then, on top of that, discontinue the service. Seems like there should/could be a lawsuit -unless the Cities gave up those rights in order to be one of the "chosen few" for Google. Sounds like Holly Springs made the "smart move" going with the one time "consolidation prize" of Ting (a small telecommunications firm from MS).... who would have thunk. ting>Google.
I read in another article that they've refined the microtrenching process since Louisville. Take that for what its worth.

On streets with gutters they just trench where the seam is between the gutter and the road....there's no tearing up of the street. Haven't seen how it's done on roads without a gutter.

Old 02-09-2019, 08:52 AM

812 posts, read 831,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I read in another article that they've refined the microtrenching process since Louisville. Take that for what its worth.

On streets with gutters they just trench where the seam is between the gutter and the road....there's no tearing up of the street. Haven't seen how it's done on roads without a gutter.
That now trench along the gutter-street interface, the one that used to be a relatively shallow thin little seam, is what I'm talking about. Yes "Micro" compared to 3-4 feet deep 1-2 feet wide trenches needed going through yards and such but "Macro" compared to the ribbon edge of a seam that used to be there. The "micro-trenches" are cut into that gutter-street interface over the once seam and are about 1-2 inches wide and 3-4 inches deep... a grand canyon compared to the seam that you could barely slip a piece of paper into before. Then this foam/rubber stuff they squirt on top to "seal it" comes up, with the wires and all, in just a couple months. That stuff is a joke. Now that road edge, and gutter, is completely opened up to the elements getting in there and really doing there freeze-thaw thing. Can't tell me this doesn't compromise the structural integrity of the both the gutter and road bed edge. Our street is fine, and I don't have to worry about tripping over fiber wire popping up from the street edge when I go to get the mail, only because ToC came through and totally repaved our street -out to and over the edges with continuous pour fresh pressed asphalt (no patches here).

Old 02-09-2019, 06:17 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,581,431 times
Ask Louisville Ky how they like google fiber right now. We are just one good frost away from google packing up and making a "business decision" to leave the area.

Old 02-09-2019, 08:35 PM

346 posts, read 338,926 times
Google Fiber is becoming like a mythical unicorn ... great if you can get it. I think 5G will make fiber moot. I could be wrong but I have been following Verizon’s fixed wireless on 1st gen 5G and with speeds hitting 600Mbps - 1gig download and ~300Mbps upload are more than enough for residential users. Not to mention ~20 millisecond latency

Old 02-09-2019, 10:19 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,734,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
Ask Louisville Ky how they like google fiber right now. We are just one good frost away from google packing up and making a "business decision" to leave the area.
They totally destroyed the city. The trenches all came up out of the street because they only buried them two inches. I heard the city told them good riddance because most the entire metro has 1G service with ATT now anyways. It really motivated ATT and to a lesser degree Spectrum to ante up.

Also Fiber in Louisville only opened in one of the top 12 urban neighborhoods (VERY Small part of the Highlands) and two of their other neighborhoods they picked are deep in the ghetto and still trying to gentrify....they skipped over a dozen neighborhoods with 70% college educated for one (Portland) with 5% college educated. Maybe that was because the wealthier neighborhoods wouldn't have put up with jacked up streets!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary