Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2008, 11:44 AM

6 posts, read 23,189 times

Advertisements

Hello,my roomate and I are both 24 and both recently graduated with our Masters. We are currently living in Lynchburg, Va and want to move to a bigger city with more job opportunities and more things to do in general. We only can visit places on the weekends, and we would love any advice on where to go, what to see, and how to get the most out of Raleigh in one weekend to see if it is a potential place to live. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 01:52 PM

551 posts, read 2,287,734 times
There are tons of things to do... but being here on a weekend and having such a broad topic is hard to give specific recommendations. If I only had a weekend, I would spend Friday evening/night in Raleigh, downtown. Do some walking and check out some of the nightlife. On Saturday morning, check out a neighborhood in a couple of places I might like to live (perhaps based on where target employers are located or my desired budget and lifestyle). Saturday evening I would spend in either Durham or Chapel Hill. Sunday I would do more of checking out potential neighborhoods. Visit restaurants and shopping centers, etc.

I realize that this is terribly general, but without knowing more about your work, hobbies, lifestyle, etc., it's difficult to be more specific! Post back with more info and we will do our best to help.

Old 04-09-2008, 02:43 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,772,563 times
Since your time is limited, if you plan to live in Raleigh then I would just concentrate on Raleigh and not worry about Durham, Chapel Hill, Carrboro, etc. The area is just too big to really see in a weekend. You may want to spend a few hours and make a (very) quick drive around just to see some of the other towns, but I wouldn't deal with the hassle of doing one night out in Raleigh and another out in, say, Durham.

The Sheraton downtown in Raleigh is a good place to stay for enjoying the Raleigh nightlife. It is right on Fayetteville St. Check out Yancey's and Raleigh Times, walk over to Moore Sq and check out Tir-na-nog. Then, or on the other night, check out Nappy Tandy's, 42nd Street and then around the corner on the busy Glenwood South area. You can barely scratch the surface of all that in 2 nights.

In addition to the immediate downtown, check out the nearby Cameron Village and 5 Points areas. And check out some of the great outdoor things to do like one of the pedestrian friendly lakes (like Lake Johnson or Shelley Lake), the terrific Umstead State Park (use the Harrison/Reedy Creek entrance off I-40), and maybe the greenway near the Art Museum on Blue Ridge Rd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary