Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2019, 06:26 PM

5 posts, read 4,206 times

Advertisements

My son was accepted to both a magnet school Hunter Elementary and also to one of the charter school in our area. II am having such a hard time deciding on where to send him. Any insights?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2019, 07:41 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
which charter?

Old 02-21-2019, 08:06 PM

1,257 posts, read 1,184,660 times
Which charter school? I really liked Hunter when I visited. If you want your child to go to Enloe eventually, I would go to Hunter.

Old 02-22-2019, 07:13 AM

19 posts, read 23,996 times
I have recent experience with Hunter and think the answer depends on which charter school you're considering.

Hunter has some great opportunities (e.g. orchestra), but there are things we did not like as well. A major issue was that the curriculum did not meet our expectations. We ended up transferring to a different school and are pleased with the decision.

Old 02-22-2019, 07:23 AM

He was accepted to Youngsville Charter. We live in Wake Forest and it's only 10 minutes away. They use direct instructions. We have also applied to the other charters in Wake Forest and I am waiting to hear back. Hunter Elementary has neighborhood bus where we live. Brobee, what about the curriculum you did not like? I know it also depends on the child but I am trying to have as much information as I can before making a decision.

Old 02-22-2019, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celysue View Post
He was accepted to Youngsville Charter. We live in Wake Forest and it's only 10 minutes away. They use direct instructions. We have also applied to the other charters in Wake Forest and I am waiting to hear back. Hunter Elementary has neighborhood bus where we live. Brobee, what about the curriculum you did not like? I know it also depends on the child but I am trying to have as much information as I can before making a decision.

From our standpoint, the curriculum wasn't as challenging as we had hoped. The math and reading curriculum moved along slowly and our child just wasn't learning new material. Science and social studies were mainly through the elective and a bit uneven. Even the enrichment and AIG opportunities were below what we had hoped. When we switched to a new school, he had to play "catch up" in math and grammar for the first few months. For reference, he's a good student, but not any sort of super academically gifted kid.

I am not familiar with Youngsville Charter, but will say that your proximity to the school is an advantage.

Old 02-22-2019, 10:30 AM

Very interesting! Thank you so much for your input.

Old 02-25-2019, 07:56 AM

4 posts, read 2,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brobee View Post
From our standpoint, the curriculum wasn't as challenging as we had hoped. The math and reading curriculum moved along slowly and our child just wasn't learning new material. Science and social studies were mainly through the elective and a bit uneven. Even the enrichment and AIG opportunities were below what we had hoped. When we switched to a new school, he had to play "catch up" in math and grammar for the first few months. For reference, he's a good student, but not any sort of super academically gifted kid.

I am not familiar with Youngsville Charter, but will say that your proximity to the school is an advantage.
What school did you transfer to from Hunter?

Old 02-25-2019, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhuge1 View Post
What school did you transfer to from Hunter?
I would rather mention the exact school online, as my child may be easy to identify based on the answer and I try to protect his privacy, but the elementary school is in the Leesville Road area. I think this will narrow it down quite a bit as there are only 2.

Old 02-25-2019, 09:01 AM

4 posts, read 2,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brobee View Post
I would rather mention the exact school online, as my child may be easy to identify based on the answer and I try to protect his privacy, but the elementary school is in the Leesville Road area. I think this will narrow it down quite a bit as there are only 2.
Thanks, I was mostly curious since my child will be starting at Hunter next Fall as a magnet student, so it's interesting to hear about your experience and decision. I wasn't sure if you were saying you had transferred to another WCPSS elementary or went the charter route (or even private). Sounds like you moved to another school in the Wake County system though, so it's interesting that your child had some catching up to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary