Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 09:13 AM

3,727 posts, read 2,042,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
Honest question - what if both vehicles are coming from opposite directions, so neither vehicle is to the right, who has right of way in this scenario (if one of the cars is turning left for instance)?
Its a great question, and honestly the key point I never had the "rule of the road" for, because as you allude to, if you are facing me at a 4-way stop, neither of us is "to the right".

I personally go with the following approach.

In a case where two cars "get there the same time" if one car is turning in front of the other, they yield.

So, if I approach the intersection and am going to turn left while the car approaching the opposite side is going straight, if I don't know who got their first, I yield.

I basically treat it as any other left turn, which unless you are protected by a Green turn arrow, you don't have the right of way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 01:42 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,861,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
How does that explain the ~50 and over crowd who "can't" drive, who would have had drivers ed in school? Bad driving habits are not merely the playground of the young.

2. A lack of respect for the power being wielded. Whether it is driving drunk or just ignoring the rules of the road because you can't be bothered
There is something to be said for this - whether it be for the arrogance that some people think they can actually text or watch stuff on their phones when driving, often enough on highways, or, for people not having better sense to drive at speeds to will actually allow them to get out of a bad situation.

I think some people don't have the requisite fear and regard for how fast things happen when they go wrong, and the lives they are putting in harm's way for their selfishness and stupidity. How many times do I see, often younger female drivers, driving too fast too close to be able to get themselves (and not impacting those around them) out of trouble when the unexpected happens.

Old 02-24-2019, 02:03 PM

3,727 posts, read 2,042,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
There is something to be said for this - whether it be for the arrogance that some people think they can actually text or watch stuff on their phones when driving, often enough on highways, or, for people not having better sense to drive at speeds to will actually allow them to get out of a bad situation.

I think some people don't have the requisite fear and regard for how fast things happen when they go wrong, and the lives they are putting in harm's way for their selfishness and stupidity. How many times do I see, often younger female drivers, driving too fast too close to be able to get themselves (and not impacting those around them) out of trouble when the unexpected happens.

Risk Compensation, lack of understanding about reaction time and General Populace Apathy.

Modern vehicles are as safe as they ever have been (in terms of safety features). As a result people's risk/reward calculus is altered to the point where they will take more risks because they feel safer.

However, cars are also getting bigger (SUVs etc). Reaction-Braking distances and times are now longer in a bigger car. A big vehicle travelling 60-70MPH needs a staggering amount of time and distance to stop.

Add in a heaping dose of apathy towards strangers sharing the road and there you have it.

Old 02-25-2019, 07:09 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,863,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
What I'm referring to:
I drive around the area as much as the next person and it isn't an issue for me. If you are behind the stop line, people cutting their left turn tight should never become an issue.
Where I do see an issue is when people pull well ahead and make it difficult for people making left turns to navigate the turn as intended.

Old 02-26-2019, 06:59 AM

3,392 posts, read 7,747,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
I drive around the area as much as the next person and it isn't an issue for me. If you are behind the stop line, people cutting their left turn tight should never become an issue.
Where I do see an issue is when people pull well ahead and make it difficult for people making left turns to navigate the turn as intended.
I have the opposite experience. I’m always seeing cars turn left and cross over the white stop line and yellow line. There’s a lot of intersections where I know to be very slow and careful approaching the stop line because if I don’t, some jackhole will take out my bumper. I was at Walnut and Cary Towne Blvd yesterday morning and literally every car that was continuing on Walnut heading towards Cary downtown cut off the corner in such a manner, with several taking up half the opposite turn lane for a car length or more.

Old 02-26-2019, 07:06 AM

12,798 posts, read 16,265,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
How many times do I see, often younger female drivers, driving too fast too close to be able to get themselves (and not impacting those around them) out of trouble when the unexpected happens.
Seriously??! You got any stats to back that up??

I (a female) have had two cars totaled through absolutely no fault of my own in the past 5 years (luckily no one was hurt) by two different men in pick up trucks. I think you will find that the insurance company premiums are higher for young male drivers. As a group they are more prone to risk taking and accidents as are men in general. https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/insu...urance-quotes/

Quote:
Men aren’t just more likely to die in car crashes than women — they’re more than twice as likely, according to data spanning 1975 to 2013, published by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, an industry group. Men are also more likely to be in deadly crashes involving speeding or alcohol, though gender differences diminish with age.

Old 02-26-2019, 07:08 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,795,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
I see the opposite. I am always behind the white line and have had many people almost hit me because they are cutting the turn. I'm curious where you drive where you see differently.

Old 03-01-2019, 03:55 PM

51 posts, read 36,431 times
Default Agreed!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
That's different. I'm talking about people making a left turn and cutting the corner of the lane in the opposite direction of the lane they're turning into. Often someone will pull up to a stop line and nearly collide with someone making a lazy left.
Yes I’ve noticed that. I’m new in town and it’s very annoying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary