Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 08:56 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,769,505 times

Advertisements

I hear from parents at work, neighbors, etc. about kids going to UNC-Charlotte, ECU, UNC-Wilmington, Wake Tech, Meredith, App, Peace, Elon, Campbell, High Point, and more in state. Safety schools a generation ago are now competitive. We had one family we knew stressing whether their kid would get into ECU. (I also know several still getting into State and Carolina, and one at Duke recently). I’ve also seen a lot choosing to take advantage of South Carolina’s efforts to get good NC students to travel south by giving them in-state tuition there if they maintain their grades, mostly at USC, but at least one I know going to Clemson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2019, 08:57 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Elon is not that popular with kids from NC (only 17%). It draws kids from all over, but is definitely popular with folks from the Northeast.

Quote:
NC 17%
MA 11%
NJ 10%
NY 8%
CT 8%
PA 7%
MD 7%
VA 6%
FL 3%
GA 3%
https://www.elon.edu/E/admissions/un...s-profile.html
https://www.niche.com/colleges/elon-...sity/students/

High Point is another one that is popular with kids from the Northeast.

I think Meredith and Campbell are still NC-centric. Looks like Wake Forest tends to be pretty heavy on out of state, too.

University of North Carolina system schools are popular with NC residents. App State, UNC-G, UNC-W, and ECU are probably the most popular after UNC-CH and NC State. If your kid is not going to go to Harvard or Stanford or somewhere like that I think a lot of parents think why pay for private school when we have great colleges in-state that are a bargain??

This should answer some of your questions.

https://demography.cpc.unc.edu/2014/...und-an-update/

For kids in NC who want to go to smaller schools I think some do go to UNC-A as mentioned. I hear about Guilford and Warren-Wilson, too. Davidson is an excellent choice for high achieving kids. Already mentioned Campbell and Meredith and NC Central, also St Augs and Shaw and A & T, maybe Brevard, Peace.

Some do go out of state, too, of course. I think a lot tend to stick around regionally so might go to College of Charleston or Sewanee, or Richmond, but I've known kids who went to Bard or Oberlin or Parsons School of Design or SCAD. Some, of course, go to Harvard, and Princeton and the other ivies. Some go to California and to Stanford, UCLA, USC. But those are big schools. It all depends on what they want to study too.

Last edited by poppydog; 02-25-2019 at 09:28 PM..

Old 02-25-2019, 09:56 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,841,729 times
Wake Tech, ECU, App, and State are usually the top recipients of Wake County graduates with Carolina rounding out the top 5. Then it scatters quite a bit to Western, Charlotte, Wilmington, and Greensboro.

Old 02-26-2019, 04:40 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
The schools in surrounding states are probably behind the state schools. VA Tech, U of SC and colleges like that. Hard to beat the alumni network and cost of the UNC schools though.

Old 02-26-2019, 04:55 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,923,964 times
Big Four you mean

Old 02-26-2019, 05:48 AM

105 posts, read 101,331 times
Don't forget Western Carolina. The majority of my High School graduating class went there since it was the furthest from Raleigh but still in-state, known as a fun school, and relatively inexpensive.

Old 02-26-2019, 06:35 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,102,406 times
My daughter was 3rd in her graduating class last year. Her and #1 and #2 all are at Duke right now! (Holly Springs High).
If you get accepted, and you don't make millions of $$$, you get a pretty hefty grant/scholarship. It ended up being less expensive than State and UNC Chapel Hill for us.

Barely anyone seemed to leave the State. Lots of friends at UNC Wilmington, Asheville And Ap State. Oh and UNC Charlotte.

Old 02-26-2019, 06:39 AM

9,776 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Our high school publishes which colleges seniors are going to.

Here is the list for the 2018 graduating class of all schools that had at least 3 attendees (number of students):

App (19)
UNC-CH (17)
Durham Tech (11)
NC State (9)
UNC-Greensboro (8)
Duke (6)
UNC-Wilmington (6)
East Carolina (5)
Alamance Community College (4)
High Point (4)
UNC-Asheville (4)
UNC-Charlotte (4)
Savannah College of Art & Design (3)

There were lots of students who went out of state - but not to any one college. Also, there were a lot of gap year and undecided at the time this was published.

Old 02-26-2019, 06:55 AM

6,374 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post

Here is the list for the 2018 graduating class of all schools that had at least 3 attendees (number of students):

App (19)
UNC-CH (17)
Durham Tech (11)
NC State (9)
UNC-Greensboro (8)
Duke (6)
UNC-Wilmington (6)
East Carolina (5)
High Point (4)
UNC-Asheville (4)
UNC-Charlotte (4)

There were lots of students who went out of state - but not to any one college. Also, there were a lot of gap year and undecided at the time this was published.
The Chapel Hill to App pipeline is STRONG.

App is beautiful. I'd say App and UNCW are probably the two biggest "destination" schools for Triangle area HS students. Not in small part due to their scenic locales/ being "in-state" but in far-away areas of the state.

App and UNCW used to be what one would consider "safety net" schools but I think that time has past. WCU and ECU have kind of become the less-selective counterparts to App and UNCW respectively.

Old 02-26-2019, 08:08 AM

9,776 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post

App (19)
UNC-CH (17)
Durham Tech (11)
NC State (9)
UNC-Greensboro (8)
Duke (6)
UNC-Wilmington (6)
East Carolina (5)
High Point (4)
UNC-Asheville (4)
UNC-Charlotte (4)

I'll add in the rest of the colleges by state and others:

CA (1)
CO (1)
DC (2)
FL (2)
GA (7) includes the 3 from SCAD above
IL (5)
IN (1)
KS (1)
MD (1)
MI (1)
NJ (1)
NY (2)
OH (2)
PA (3)
SC (3)
TN (1)
VA (5)
International college (3)
Gap year (7)
Undecided/other (23)

Other NC Schools:
Davidson (1)
Elon (1)
Gaston (1)
NC A&T (1)
UNC-Pembroke (1)
Universal Technical Institute (1)
Wake Tech (1)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary