Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2020, 08:52 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,752,031 times

Advertisements

Hyperloop is 1, not going to anytime soon, like when anyone reading this is alive. 2, really only good for longer distances, like say Raleigh to Charlotte, not replacing local or even regional mass transit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2020, 09:05 PM

569 posts, read 341,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Hyperloop is 1, not going to anytime soon, like when anyone reading this is alive. 2, really only good for longer distances, like say Raleigh to Charlotte, not replacing local or even regional mass transit.
NASA was sharply criticized, and rediculed, for outsourcing space launches. No way the private sector could ever design, build, launch and recapture spacecraft "people" said. Nobody other than the federal government could even think about planning space missions to the moon, much less Mars. What are Musk, Besos and Branson thinking ? Are they rich or something ?

Hyperloop in its existing form will likely fail. However, it will lead to something far more cost and energy efficient than anything that we have today. In my lifetime, not likely. Meantime, let's plow on with BRT and those unmanned multi person drones !

BTW - Space X is kicking Boeing's rear end .

Last edited by Mr. Raleigh; 01-12-2020 at 09:19 PM..

Old 01-17-2020, 02:12 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,579,409 times
https://www.curbed.com/2020/1/8/2104...boring-company

Old 01-17-2020, 02:39 PM

4,303 posts, read 5,982,730 times
Yeah, like I said, this bears zero relation to Hyperloop. $50 million so you can go less than a mile at 50 mph in a Model 3...whoopie.

Old 01-17-2020, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Yeah, like I said, this bears zero relation to Hyperloop. $50 million so you can go less than a mile at 50 mph in a Model 3...whoopie.
You are correct. After reading the article, the The Las Vegas project is absolutely nothing like maglev, Branson's Hyperloop, or anything else similar etc. It does appear to be more of a moving "transport tube" for small vehicles. However, this is very early in the process, and over time, it will likely evolve into something else. I still think that it's premature to write Elon Musk off. He is quirky, no doubt, but very smart and very wealthy.

Old 01-17-2020, 07:57 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,752,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Raleigh View Post
You are correct. After reading the article, the The Las Vegas project is absolutely nothing like maglev, Branson's Hyperloop, or anything else similar etc. It does appear to be more of a moving "transport tube" for small vehicles. However, this is very early in the process, and over time, it will likely evolve into something else. I still think that it's premature to write Elon Musk off. He is quirky, no doubt, but very smart and very wealthy.
Yes, it will evolve into the exact same tunnels that some cities have used for a long time because that’s exactly what it is, just at play toy scale. Musk has done some great stuff, but he is deluding himself thinking he can suddenly build real tunnels cheaply. Physics, hydrology and geology are still things that exist and they make tunneling difficult.

Old 01-17-2020, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Yes, it will evolve into the exact same tunnels that some cities have used for a long time because that’s exactly what it is, just at play toy scale. Musk has done some great stuff, but he is deluding himself thinking he can suddenly build real tunnels cheaply. Physics, hydrology and geology are still things that exist and they make tunneling difficult.
I wasn't aware that Elon Musk was trying to build a cheaper tunnel. He's not. Boring tunnels is boring tunnels. He is trying to build an alternative method of mass transit, which would be more efficient to existing forms in terms of speed, energy efficiency and cost. Underground tunnel boring is required for this particular Elon Musk vision, same as for olde time 19 century trains and subways. Tunnels are tunnels. Boring is expensive.

In this case, it appears that Mr. Musk is designing the technology on the fly, by the seat of his pants. Sort of like Orville and Wilbur Wright.

Mr. Musk will likely pursue ground based and air based solutions after this Las Vegas experience comes to a conclusion. He seems to do better with air based solutions.

Old 01-17-2020, 09:45 PM

4,303 posts, read 5,982,730 times
Quote:
I wasn't aware that Elon Musk was trying to build a cheaper tunnel. He's not. Boring tunnels is boring tunnels.
That was actually his intent in starting The Boring Company...achieve a 10x reduction in tunneling costs. All of the other projects are built upon that goal as the foundation. Making tunnels commonplace requires a massive decrease in costs.

https://www.boringcompany.com/faq

Old 01-18-2020, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
That was actually his intent in starting The Boring Company...achieve a 10x reduction in tunneling costs. All of the other projects are built upon that goal as the foundation. Making tunnels commonplace requires a massive decrease in costs.

https://www.boringcompany.com/faq
I thought he started The Boring Company in order to create underground tunnels for his proposed underground transit system; this in lieu of paying outside contractors to create his tunnels. After reading the linked article, yes I see that he is trying to reduce costs of boring by 10 times or so, by using different methods and building smaller diameter tunnels etc. that seems very ambitious to me (and most people), but time will tell.

Regarding the transit mode, he seems to be inventing it has he goes along.

Old 01-18-2020, 11:23 AM

Quote:
I thought he started The Boring Company in order to create underground tunnels for his proposed underground transit system; this in lieu of paying outside contractors to create his tunnels. After reading the linked article, yes I see that he is trying to reduce costs of boring by 10 times or so, by using different methods and building smaller diameter tunnels etc. that seems very ambitious to me (and most people), but time will tell.

Regarding the transit mode, he seems to be inventing it has he goes along.
It seems that TBC is only 3 years old, and even though Musk has made several pitches to other possibly interested cities, the Vegas project is the first one to begin actual construction, and it didn't start until this past October; actual boring of the first tunnel didn't start until November 15th, with an estimated completed date of March 2020. Then they begin boring the second tunnel.

I think that's very premature to render judgement on this project, and technology, until it becomes operational.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary