Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 08:02 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
Try walking to the grocery 1.3 miles away and walking back with four bags of food (sometimes in the rain), and tell me how it goes.
I currently walk 1.5 miles in the morning and again at night.

When I graduated college I sold my car to pay off my credit card bill and rode a bike six miles to work (not fun in summer time FL!).

When you are poor you do what you have to. If anything that was motivation to not be poor!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2019, 08:05 AM

678 posts, read 738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Understood, but I wasn't aware that there was a grocery store within a half mile of every low income residential area in the US.

What about all the low income people in rural areas? At least in urban areas you may have the option of bus, uber, cab, etc.

(Poor) Rural Folks have it worse in some respects with regards to groceries. Dollar General is decimating locally owned grocers in these communities. So you're either stuck driving a hour to Walmart or your local Dollar General, which is hit or miss in providing fresh food/produce

Old 03-01-2019, 08:21 AM

58 posts, read 48,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I currently walk 1.5 miles in the morning and again at night.

When I graduated college I sold my car to pay off my credit card bill and rode a bike six miles to work (not fun in summer time FL!).

When you are poor you do what you have to. If anything that was motivation to not be poor!!
It's called personal responsibility and it's a dying trend in this country.

Would you believe that there are people out there wearing the latest Air Jordans, owning Rent-A-Center furniture, driving luxury vehicles, and drinking top-shelf gas station malt liquor, who are part of the "poor" population used to determine an area classified as a food desert? Hard to believe, ain't it?

Old 03-01-2019, 10:47 AM

4,262 posts, read 4,714,230 times
The lack of empathy "well-if-I-can-do-it-they-can-too" is stark.
If you're a senior citizen, it's not so simple.
If you have small children who cannot be left alone, it's not so simple.
If you have a medical condition, it's not so simple.

Everyone likes to believe that poverty is fake or the direct outcome of bad behavioral choices. If you've volunteered for a social services agency that serves SE Raleigh, you'd get a different impression quickly.

Yes, when I was in my 20s in grad school, I ran two miles a day and I got along fine without a car. It was Atlanta, I lived one block off a frequently-served bus route, and half a mile from a MARTA station. And I had the good fortune of an education and a career path that put more than enough money in my pocket to afford a car as soon as I wished.

SE Raleigh ain't like that. And even in NW Raleigh, I'm in my 60s with a bad knee (too much running?).

Old 03-01-2019, 10:49 AM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:

Yes, when I was in my 20s in grad school, I ran two miles a day and I got along fine without a car. It was Atlanta, I lived one block off a frequently-served bus route, and half a mile from a MARTA station. And I had the good fortune of an education and a career path that put more than enough money in my pocket to afford a car as soon as I wished.

SE Raleigh ain't like that. And even in NW Raleigh, I'm in my 60s with a bad knee (too much running?).

I am curious what might be the "fix" for food deserts?

Old 03-01-2019, 11:03 AM

2,218 posts, read 2,940,029 times
Quote:

Everyone likes to believe that poverty is fake or the direct outcome of bad behavioral choices. If you've volunteered for a social services agency that serves SE Raleigh, you'd get a different impression quickly.

There are programs like Go Raleigh Access that can help people with physical and mental impairments that cannot take the bus. There is Meals on Wheels. There are churches and other volunteer groups that can help. Family can also help sometimes. And hello.....you can even buy groceries online and have them delivered.

Old 03-01-2019, 11:08 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times
Quote:

I have empathy for those who are in these situations and not as a result of bad behavioral choices.

That being said, if you're a senior citizen or have a certain medical condition, it's likely you're not walking even if there's a grocery store .10 miles from your house. You still need alternate transportation, or assistance.

This is sort of off topic, but I'm tired of everyone thinking that middle class folks have it easy. Both parents working 40+ hours a week with small children is no easy task, nor is it a fun task. Childcare costs are crazy (as they should be), and many companies are not exactly flexible when it comes to dealing with things outside of work. "But OMG they make 150k a year combined, it must be so easy! They must go home and wipe their asses with 100 dollar bills!". You'd be shocked how little many middle class folks have left over, even if they're living well within your means. Yes, the middle class may have money to buy a car to drive themselves to work and to the grocery store, but many don't have time to drive to the grocery store after working 40, 50, or even 60 hours a week, on top of their responsibilities outside of work. Spending the majority of your life in a cubicle, or on a construction site, fixing people's toilets, etc, isn't exactly living the dream.

I'm not saying there are not differences, but the common denominator is that people always need to make sacrifices and do things they don't want to do, regardless of class or race.

Last edited by m378; 03-01-2019 at 11:24 AM..

Old 03-01-2019, 11:14 AM

58 posts, read 48,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
There are programs like Go Raleigh Access that can help people with physical and mental impairments that cannot take the bus. There is Meals on Wheels. There are churches and other volunteer groups that can help. Family can also help sometimes. And hello.....you can even buy groceries online and have them delivered.
There's no doubt that there are resources available for those who have impairments.

It's difficult to believe that in 2019 a person can't find a way to get groceries into their home from 1 or 2 miles away.

Old 03-01-2019, 11:33 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,727,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
Family can also help sometimes. And hello.....you can even buy groceries online and have them delivered.
Comments like these bother me. Not everyone struggling has family nor can afford the extra few dollars for grocery delivery. Stop trying to generalize and brush off the issue. It's not that straight forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary