Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 12:03 PM

715 posts, read 1,039,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
This is what I have been wondering about crosswalks - do pedestrians in ALL crosswalks have right of way to traffic? There are plenty around Cary, Morrisville, well the entire Triangle where these crosswalks are across 4 lane roads and hardly anyone stops for people waiting at the sides. Even if a person begins to cross the beginning 2 lanes of the road, still no one stops on the opposing 2 lanes of traffic. Morrisville installed some bright flashing yellow LED lights on Town Hall Dr when someone is in the crosswalk on that 4 lane road so that gets drivers' attention quickly.

Drivers do regularly stop on the 2 lane crosswalks but it's not like it's over 90% or anything.

Good point. Again, while running on the American Tobacco Trail and approaching a "crossing" (let's say, Green Level Church, West), the westbound motor vehicle stops for me and I see the driver wave me ahead, I still stay stopped and look both ways (to the approaching east-bound motor vehicle, look them in the eyes/be sure they see me and stop and wave me on as well ), only then do I proceed. Decades of training for marathons on rails-to-trails and sidewalks / crosswalks along the way. Any pedestrian should throw "I have the right of way" out the window. "I had the right of way" doesn't matter when you're a 170 pound person against a three ton motor vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
True but I was just answering the OP’s question of:

I don't want to come across as insensitive, but it makes me wonder if one were to hit somebody on the crosswalk who obviously came into the path of a car who could not stop in time, how would that be handled? I always drive with dash cams which should clarify any "he said she said" type things.
Yeah I'm merely speaking from a runner's perspective.

Old 03-02-2019, 12:07 PM

6,654 posts, read 5,589,525 times
Which is what the PDF link I posted says in addition to the rules:

saFety is a shared resPoNsibility
When you’re driving:
• Yield to people in crosswalks.
• Before making a turn, be sure the path is clear of people walking.
• Look behind your vehicle for people before backing up. • Keep an eye out for people walking at night.
When you’re walking:
• Look for cars in all directions—including those turning—before crossing the street.
• Obey all pedestrian traffic signals.
• At night, walk in well-lit areas, carry a flashlight, or wear something reflective to be more visible.
• Watch for cars backing up in parking lots.
• Cross the street where you have the best view of traffic. At bus stops, cross behind the bus or at the nearest crosswalk.
• Always walk on the sidewalk; if there is no sidewalk, walk facing traffic and as far from the road as you can.

People make mistakes though - which is why the law defaults to protecting the more vulnerable pedestrians over motor vehicles.

I can also point out the number of drivers I see who are rude to pedestrians crossing the street in return while trying to turn right on red.

Old 03-02-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
from Google Street view ...

it's marked on the pavement, and has what appears to be ample signage for vehicles. There's even one that says "State Law: Yield to Pedestrians within Crosswalk".

Given the solar panels on some of the signs, I assume that's for some blinking light when a pedestrian approaches the crosswalk.

Is the pedestrian/runner stupid to assert their rights, unconcerned for the effects of 3-6K pounds running into them? Sure. But will the vehicle be at fault? Sure.
Yes indeed- there are blinking lights powered by those solar panels at O'Kelly Chapel Road (can't remember which other) good eye! Drivers heed them really well at O'Kelly... but as a pedestrian, I assume drivers don't see the blinking lights, and I stop and look both ways.

Old 03-02-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Which is what the PDF link I posted says in addition to the rules:

saFety is a shared resPoNsibility
When you’re driving:
• Yield to people in crosswalks.
• Before making a turn, be sure the path is clear of people walking.
• Look behind your vehicle for people before backing up. • Keep an eye out for people walking at night.
When you’re walking:
• Look for cars in all directions—including those turning—before crossing the street.
• Obey all pedestrian traffic signals.
• At night, walk in well-lit areas, carry a flashlight, or wear something reflective to be more visible.
• Watch for cars backing up in parking lots.
• Cross the street where you have the best view of traffic. At bus stops, cross behind the bus or at the nearest crosswalk.
• Always walk on the sidewalk; if there is no sidewalk, walk facing traffic and as far from the road as you can.

People make mistakes though - which is why the law defaults to protecting the more vulnerable pedestrians over motor vehicles.

I can also point out the number of drivers I see who are rude to pedestrians crossing the street in return while trying to turn right on red.
Yeah, as a driver (who's also a runner), I try to lay way back on pedestrians trying to cross the street. There was a thread on folks riding up on the left turn lane on this forum last week and mention of blocking the crosswalk in the process. Always good to lay back - stop well short- of the crosswalk, as a driver.

Old 03-02-2019, 12:18 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,989,186 times
Quote:
Pedestrians cannot enter crosswalks so suddenly that drivers do not have the opportunity to stop.
I'd be interested to know where this is codified or a precedent in NC. It's an important point...pedestrians generally always have right-of-way and you must yield, but if they jump out without giving you time to stop there is frequently consideration for that in many jurisdictions.

Old 03-02-2019, 12:24 PM

6,654 posts, read 5,589,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
I'd be interested to know where this is codified or a precedent in NC. It's an important point...pedestrians generally always have right-of-way and you must yield, but if they jump out without giving you time to stop there is frequently consideration for that in many jurisdictions.
The second link I posted from NCDOT says for pedestrians not to start crossing during the yellow/red light period but you can finish crossing if you already started prior to that. There was no mention of that at unsignalized crosswalks.

Old 03-02-2019, 01:07 PM

466 posts, read 700,568 times
Thanks for the good discussion. Its been awhile but I think there may be stop signs on the trail before major roads, not that this fact would necessarily protect the drivers.

I believe the flashing lights at that ATT intersection on Morrisville are activated by a button and are not automatic. They did not flash today and I rarely see them utilized.

The last sentence of the google reply was the question I had. I know pedestrians always have the right of way normally in the crosswalk, but besides following the traffic laws, following the laws of physics are important too.

The guy today was booking it which is why he came out of nowhere so fast, but it’s provably more of an issue with bicyclists crossing than runners.

Last edited by JMMH; 03-02-2019 at 01:16 PM..

Old 03-02-2019, 02:16 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,541,875 times
My complaint is the cluelessness of college students when crossing roads on college campuses. Yes they have the right away, but it doesnt excuse them from just stepping out in the crosswalk without even looking.

Old 03-02-2019, 05:26 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
My complaint is the cluelessness of college students when crossing roads on college campuses. Yes they have the right away, but it doesnt excuse them from just stepping out in the crosswalk without even looking.
And they all have a phone in their face and earbuds in their ears.

One thing we've noticed on college tours is how quiet campuses are....no one talks to each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary