Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 04:08 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Ha! If Cary is a big city then where are its skyscrapers. Where are its panhandlers. Where is its city jail.

Nope. To me Cary is still a bedroom community. And there's nothing wrong with that.
There are definitely panhandlers in Cary. In Morrisville too for that matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2019, 04:09 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,382,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Yes, and I'm not aware of any "city jails" in NC. County sheriffs operate jails in NC.

Old 03-09-2019, 04:34 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Cary big?! Pshaw it has no debtors prison

Old 03-09-2019, 04:44 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post

Its a suburban city, just like Raleigh, Durham and every other NC city, i.e. it has a small central business district surround largely by post-WW2 suburban-style development. That doesn't make it a "suburb" or a "bedroom community".
Where is the central business district? Are you referring to DT Cary? If so, there are many many small towns with downtown business areas. That doesn't make them cities.

Old 03-09-2019, 04:54 PM

4,262 posts, read 4,714,230 times
Quote:
Yes, and I'm not aware of any "city jails" in NC. County sheriffs operate jails in NC.
Correct, and there are no city courts in NC either. The state unified its court system in 1966.

Old 03-09-2019, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Where is the central business district? Are you referring to DT Cary? If so, there are many many small towns with downtown business areas. That doesn't make them cities.
It doesn't make them suburbs or bedroom communities either.

Do they have 165,000 residents , large shopping centers and major employers like SAS?

Old 03-09-2019, 05:13 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times
Quote:
It doesn't make them suburbs or bedroom communities either.

Do they have 165,000 residents , large shopping centers and major employers like SAS?
It was just odd that you chose "central business district" as your one deciding factor.

I'd say the population is the only thing that would possibly make me think Cary was a city. There are small towns all over the US with large shopping centers and major employers. Prior to moving here I lived in a rural town of 20k people with large Redhat, IBM, etc offices.

Old 03-09-2019, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
It was just odd that you chose "central business district" as your one deciding factor.

I'd say the population is the only thing that would possibly make me think Cary was a city. There are small towns all over the US with large shopping centers and major employers. Prior to moving here I lived in a rural town of 20k people with large Redhat, IBM, etc offices.
I chose central business district because thats a commonly used term for a city's downtown area in urabn and regional planning, which was my major in college. And thats not what I used as my "one deciding factor" in calling Cary a city. I used it in an attempt, which you obviously failed to comprehend, to explain that although Cary is very suburban in nature, that doesn't mean its a suburb.

Feel free to substitute the term downtown, central core, city center or any other term you wish to use. I mean, really?

Last edited by BC1960; 03-09-2019 at 06:03 PM..

Old 03-09-2019, 07:09 PM

1,228 posts, read 797,833 times
All y’all are funny. How many Angels can dance on the head of a pin, again?

Cary was a whistle stop that became a suburban bedroom community (thanks to both Raleigh and a lot to RTP) that chartered itself as a Town, but now has the population of a City, but still is not very urban in its land use, nor will it likely ever be. I’d love to see parts of it develop into a true edge city...

Based on polls and City-Data, it still looks like a great place to live. If you like HOA’s and hate pink flamingos...

Apex (echo)

Fuquay (echo)

Old 03-09-2019, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighSentinel View Post
Cary was a whistle stop that became a suburban bedroom community (thanks to both Raleigh and a lot to RTP) that chartered itself as a Town, but now has the population of a City, but still is not very urban in its land use, nor will it likely ever be. I’d love to see parts of it develop into a true edge city...
Ditto for every city in NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary