Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 01:23 PM

229 posts, read 1,054,220 times

Advertisements

I read your request regarding information on families that have relocated from Phoenix. I have had three clients from the Phoenix area that I’ve worked with in the past few months. They all had different needs and/or requirements and they are all great people. Here are the details:

1. The P Family-REALTORS from Phoenix that are investing in the area. Criteria: Single Family Detached Home under $250k with a garage in Cary and/or Apex. They’ve bought five so far and have done very well with the rentals so they are going to buy more. Mrs. P loves the area, she thinks the schools are great(she has a 4 year old daughter), but her husband isn’t ready for “The Four Seasons” just yet. There are some subtle differences in how real estate transactions are handled here that I could explain when you visit. In addition, the architecture is different. Most of our homes are built via a Pier and Beam structure with a crawl space. The P's think that the area still has that small town atmosphere where everyone knows everone in town.

2. The H's own a Travel Agency and most of their business is now coming from the East Coast. They don’t have any children. She’s British and Mr. H. is American. They are in their 50s. They like the fact that our area is growing, there is plenty of business, and believe it will also be a great area to retire. They have “flipped” a few homes in Phoenix. Their house closed in November and they just closed on a property here in the Triangle 12/28. The H's like to swim and have realized that most families here don't have their own pools. We have community pools. The pools generally stay open from Memorial Day through Labor Day. They do like the value of the real estate you get here.

3. The K's have one son, B, that is 12 years old. They haven’t bought yet but they came to the area last month to look at horse farms. They own a horse farm in Phoenix complee with ducks and chickens and are looking for one here. The K's are both architects and are looking for better schools, less expensive real estate, and they like our weather. Price range: Up to $1.5 Million.

I am also working with another family, your age w/small children, that are coming to town on 1/12th to finalize their decision.

All in all, there are a lot of people moving here because the prices are right, there isn't a lot of crime, the schools are good, and we are a big city but not too big.

PM me if you want to know more details.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 11:57 AM

24 posts, read 78,832 times
I recently visited Raleigh and found it much more conservative than Phoenix. I noticed that women dress very conservatively compared to women in Phoenix. I just wore a low cut shirt and either it was my shirt or my nose ring..I don't know..but people were staring at me. So, I"m not sure if it was the area in Raleigh I was at, or if all of Raleigh is like this.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:58 AM

24 posts, read 78,832 times
For those of you who have made the move, do you find that there are as many things to do in Raleigh? I know they have a comedy club, broadway shows, and looks like a nice greenway system, but are you satisfied with the amount of things to do?

Old 07-13-2009, 12:04 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,504,473 times
I moved from Tucson to Chapel Hill so not quite the same but I did not love it. I thought it was "OK" but not great in NC. I really missed the views/vistas more than I realized I would. I missed the gorgeous sunsets. I missed the dry heat and the warmer winters. I missed the relaxed feel of the SW.

If I were raising a family though, I would definitely not raise one in Scottsdale--the money emphasis, materialism, plastic surgery, etc. would not be where I'd want kids growing up. So I'd choose Raleigh over Scottsdale in that case.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:00 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,724,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cswitzer25 View Post
I recently visited Raleigh and found it much more conservative than Phoenix. I noticed that women dress very conservatively compared to women in Phoenix.
True, oh so true.

Quote:
I just wore a low cut shirt and either it was my shirt or my nose ring..I don't know..but people were staring at me. So, I"m not sure if it was the area in Raleigh I was at, or if all of Raleigh is like this.
I would go with they were staring at you. I'll just say that low cut shirts and nose rings aren't the norm among the everyday populace (read as not on campus at UNC, Duke or NCCU) in Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area.

Last edited by he's so hott; 07-13-2009 at 01:32 PM..

Old 07-13-2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:
For those of you who have made the move, do you find that there are as many things to do in Raleigh? I know they have a comedy club, broadway shows, and looks like a nice greenway system, but are you satisfied with the amount of things to do?
Don't do it. Let me repeat on more time, don't do it. Don't do it unless you need to move to Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area for a job b/c you can't find one in the Phoenix area.

Its not like the Phoenix area is more expensive than Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill b/c it isn't. So that's not a reason to pick one over the other.

Also, both are good places to raise a fam so that's not a reason to pick one over the other.

Both places have brutal summers. So that is not a reason to pick one over the other. Although the winters in Phoenix are much better than winters in NC. That maybe a reason to pick Phoenix over Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill.

As far as things to do, it depends on what you like to do. Phoenix is a bigger metro so its obvious that it'll have a few more things compared to Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill.

If you're really into outdoors stuff, Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill has greenways as you mentioned but its nothing like hiking Camelback, Pinnacle Peak or South Mountain which are all located in the Phoenix area. So it depends on your preference.

Durham has the Durham Performing Arts Center (DPAC) which I would assume is bringing more broadway shows and slightly more concerts to the area. Basically like the Dodge Theater in downtown Phoenix. However, Phoenix has more concerts, especially in the summer compared to Raliegh/Durham/Chapel Hill. Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill fall short in that area even compared to Charlotte and especially Greensboro.

Raleigh area has decent nightlife but Phoenix has the edge.

For a area the size of R/D/CH, you'll prolly be satisfied with the things that are offered but once again it depends on what you're into. You also need to look at how you would fit into the 'scene' of R/D/CH compared to the Phoenix area.

As the previous poster stated, you won't get the same views and vistas in Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill that you'll get in the Phoenix area. Both places look nice but the valley is beautiful. Lots of green in R/D/Ch and trees that are much taller than what you maybe used to. That makes the space around you and the sky seem smaller, while in Phoenix the lack of really tall trees creates a sky that is really big, which is nice.

And while R/D/CH have a relaxed feel it is different than that of the Phoenix area.

There are various cities to live in in Maricopa County so just don't rely on comparisons of Scottsdale versus R/D/CH. Look at it more as R/D/CH versus Peoria, Surprise, Goodyear, Glendale, Phoenix, Scottsdale, Mesa, Tempe, Chandler and Gilbert.

IMO, the Phoenix area has a 'cooler' vibe. You may find that you fit in just as easy there if you don't have family or aren't attached to a significant other just as if you had those things.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:31 PM

90 posts, read 226,530 times
My dad lives in North Scottsdale and I go to Duke. I couldn't really imagine two more opposite places of the country.

Raleigh is socially conservative, economically liberal. The state is run by tax and spend democrats. Arizona is socially libertarian, economically conservative. The state has very low taxes. Schools are better in NC, but Arizona has the second worst schools in the country. Chapparel in Scottsdale seems pretty decent though. AZ has a ton of sunshine, and warm weather year round. NC gets a lot more rain, cool but not freezing winters (but no 100+ degree summers). The landscape is green here and halfway between the beach and the mountains, yet there is not access to the hiking you have in AZ. Hiking is an all day, even weekend long excursion. People don't go outdoors as much as in AZ. Also, golf is not nearly as big a deal. Scottsdale is flashier, more materialistic, but has more to do as a result. Shopping isn't so great in NC, and the restaurants are not very good. Real estate is cheaper, and the job market is better right now. Hope this helps!

Old 07-13-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboyle1988 View Post
My dad lives in North Scottsdale and I go to Duke. I couldn't really imagine two more opposite places of the country.

Raleigh is socially conservative, economically liberal. The state is run by tax and spend democrats. Arizona is socially libertarian, economically conservative. The state has very low taxes.
Yep.

Quote:
NC gets a lot more rain, cool but not freezing winters (but no 100+ degree summers).
Its gets darn cold in the Raliegh area. Its cold enough to have ice on the roads with the occasional snow. Below freezing on a regular basis? No. But in the 20s and 30s during the winter. Yep and on a regular basis. Plenty of frost on your car during the winter.

If you're from AZ or FL NC is downright cold.

Quote:
People don't go outdoors as much as in AZ.
I may agree with you if you were talking about the summer months in Phoenix but you see plenty of people throughout most of the year at the various hiking areas. When I was in Phoenix in Feb of 2009, you could barely hike Pinnacle b/c there were so many people out that Sat. Heck, even Camelback had tons of people at it during a Thursday afternoon like around 4pm and its prolly the hardest hike out there.

Plenty of eateries in Phoenix have outdoor seating. You'll see plenty of people eating outside at night, especially during the summer at places like Kona Grill at Chandler Fashion Center or Dos Gringos in Scottsdale.

Quote:
Also, golf is not nearly as big a deal. Scottsdale is flashier, more materialistic, but has more to do as a result. Shopping isn't so great in NC............
True.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:11 PM

46 posts, read 308,084 times
From LA here but vacationed to boat and ride in the Scottsdale area every spring break for the last 6 years.
We moved to NC last August and like it.
The growth in PHX was very noticable when you only visited yearly but I always loved it.
Everything looks new and the road system makes sense, numbered and laid out in a grid inside the outerloop.
There are many older areas here and the roads go every which way, you'll need a GPS for sure.
Things won't be as close as you're used to, a trip to Walmart takes me 15 mins and to Home Depot is 30. You're probably used to 5 mins.
The schools are great here and that's why we moved, from what I hear PHX schools are going the way of LA schools. I have family that attend in Scottsdale and Glendale.
You really need to come for a week and put about 3000 miles on a rental car to see if it's for you.
Eat out every night and get lost as often as possible, you never kn ow what you'll come across.
The humidity will be a SHOCK, I could ride all day in 100 degrees in PHX , not here in 80 because you'll perspire to death! Depends how active you are.
Granted LA has it all but you'll have exhausted your local restaurants here in a month and don't expect the Mexican cuisine you're used to;unfortunately it hasn't arrived yet!
If you can accept the above and want a quieter lifestyle I'd say it's for you.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:16 PM
BSD

10 posts, read 23,102 times
Default Scottsdale or NC

We vacation in Scottsdale every summer. This last June, 2009 when we were there for 10 days it was cooler there than it was here in Raleigh the entire time. In addition, we noted that we didn't perspire once and we were in the sun most of the day. So much for global warming. Coming from the West Coast you will be taken back by the lack of mountains and scenery here in Raleigh. I laugh at the names folks call people from other places. Not unlike the realtor who was showing us a new home and when we questioned her about the price she said, " You are in Cary now." We both looked at each other like Cary was supposed to be some exotic place that the world was aware of and therefore could charge higher prices for real estate. So funny. Enjoy your time here. The people who have lived here forever are very gracious in helping folks who are visiting and making them feel welcome. You will also find that home prices are dropping quickly here , but will not be that much different than Scottsdale since we just looked at homes there also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary