U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2008, 03:41 PM

2 posts, read 10,958 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
We were living in NC for last 3 years and love it very very much. Our daughter is attending one of the public university in Raleigh. She is classified as in state resident for tuition purpose. Unfortunately my husband got his job transferred to another state and we have to relocate. Question is if my daughter status will change to out of state resident for tuition purpose because of this situation.. All suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Last edited by autumngal; 04-11-2008 at 06:10 AM.. Reason: fixed font tags
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 04:02 PM

149 posts, read 483,383 times
If she continues to live in NC when school is not in session, then she would continue to have in state tuition.

If she moves with you (summers, etc) than it could be classified as an out of state student.

Ask the school to make sure. I'm sure they've run into this problem before

Old 04-10-2008, 04:17 PM

1,887 posts, read 5,482,712 times
I think this is the relevant regulations.

Classification Manual :: Determinations | Residency | Office of the University Registrar (http://regweb.unc.edu/residency/manual_classifications.php - broken link)

Bare minimum, your daughter retains in state tuition for 12 months after your move. It sounds like if she establishes her full time residence in NC (ie gets a year round apt and stays during the summer, as mentioned above), she can retain it for her entire education, but that wasn't clearly spelled out.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:17 AM

2 posts, read 10,958 times
Musicalzoo and toot68, thanks so much for your input!

Old 04-11-2008, 07:55 AM

1,400 posts, read 4,773,271 times
I think it's worth the money to rent your daughter an apartment in Raleigh even if she goes to live with you for some time during breaks. However, make sure that she doesn't work out of state for more than a month or two, as then there is an argument against maintaining in-state status.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:15 AM

413 posts, read 1,169,778 times
My understanding (based on friends' experience when they were in college), is that if she holds an NCDL (of course that means an apartment or something for her) and files taxes (doesn't have to be for much, and usually students get it deferred or back anyway) she qualifies for in-state, regardless of where parents live. The tax thing may be for those applying for in-state, after having already attended as out-of-state students though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary