Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 05:36 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times

Advertisements

I know this isn't necessarily local-specific, but I value the opinions of those in this forum, and we do have a Carvana vending machine in Raleigh

Anyone bought from them? How was it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2019, 05:56 PM

853 posts, read 588,821 times
There is a Carvana in north Raleigh. I haven't spoken with anyone who has done business with them, but they get good reviews on their site.

Old 03-23-2019, 06:07 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,608,458 times
I don't have firsthand experience but I do have this to share as a point of information:

I was watching a video of a well known Youtube mechanic (Scotty Kilmer) talking about buying a car from Carvana. Kilmer said that his customer was interested in buying a used car from them and wanted to take it to him for an independent inspection (which is always advisable for a used car purchase) and Carvana wouldn't let him because "we don't allow that". That would be a big red flag for me.

Old 03-23-2019, 06:14 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,544,081 times
https://www.yelp.com/biz/carvana-raleigh-3

Old 03-23-2019, 06:25 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
I don't have firsthand experience but I do have this to share as a point of information:

I was watching a video of a well known Youtube mechanic (Scotty Kilmer) talking about buying a car from Carvana. Kilmer said that his customer was interested in buying a used car from them and wanted to take it to him for an independent inspection (which is always advisable for a used car purchase) and Carvana wouldn't let him because "we don't allow that". That would be a big red flag for me.
You have a 7 day money-back return period, and during those 7 days is when you would take it for an inspection. You find issues, you send it back, supposedly. Carvana isn't an actual dealership - all cars are purchased online and then delivered.

The locations (including Raleigh) are just delivery locations where they have a gimmicky but cool vending machine to take delivery of your car (or you can have it delivered to your house).

Old 03-23-2019, 06:28 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,058,601 times
My neighbor just bought from them a few weeks back. He had nothing negative to say about the process.

The 7 day return window should give you a chance to have your own mechanic look at the car assuming their “return for any reason” policy is really that.

Old 03-23-2019, 07:02 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,819,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post

Absolutely untrue unless they wanted to do it prior to purchasing.

I've purchased a vehicle from them and had it inspected during my 7 day no questions asked period. However, it has to be done AFTER the purchase. They don't allow it before you buy. Maybe that's what happened?

Old 03-23-2019, 07:38 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,727,899 times
I had a co-worker buy a car through Carvana, he's had no problems and said the experience was fine.

Old 03-23-2019, 08:26 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,608,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
Absolutely untrue unless they wanted to do it prior to purchasing.

I've purchased a vehicle from them and had it inspected during my 7 day no questions asked period. However, it has to be done AFTER the purchase. They don't allow it before you buy. Maybe that's what happened?
Yes, my understanding is the buyer wanted to have it inspected before purchasing it.

Old 03-23-2019, 10:44 PM

197 posts, read 208,432 times
I did in 2017, this was before the Raleigh location opened.
Overall, it was a good experience.
Minor issues:
- As you know, the website shows the exterior of the car in detail, notes any nicks and whatnot. However, I realized after the purchase, the interior issues were not noted at all. I found a noticeable scratch inside and one of speaker covers was loose and fixed with white tape (who does that? the interior color is black!). I would have noticed it as the white tape stands out, but I didn't so it might have been done after the 360° images were recorded? It's a trim no longer available and I liked the car so much, I didn't bring this up.
- Trade-in appraisal was a bit low but didn't want to go through the hassle of selling it myself.
- I wanted to transfer the licence plate. They said they could handle it no problem, but totally ignored my request and sent me a brand-new license plate. That part of transaction was actually bad. It took more than a month to complete.

My car came from Atlanta and had Georgia temp tag on it. I think they wouldn't let you inspect beforehand because the car has to be transported from elsewhere. I did take mine to inspection on the day it was delivered and I was told the car was in very good condition. I read multiple online reviews that said the car was absolutely filthy when delivered but mine was super clean and had new car smell That issue might be location-specific. If you found a car/trim you really like, I say go for it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary