Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 08:22 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renownedtheworldaround View Post
In Durham, I believe the area around Hillandale Golf Course (Hillandale Road and Sprunt St) flooded. A couple of other low lying areas got hit but it really wasn’t as bad as those on the coast and those in Southeast NC got.
Agreed. It was barely noticeable as a hurricane in the Triangle, and that was only because you could see outer band cloud formations in the sky from time to time. Yes, it rained. No, it wasn't anything like what was experienced in the eastern part of the state. Most of the Triangle is hundreds of feet above sea level; just try to stay away from creek basins and you should be fine in terms of flooding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2019, 01:53 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,128,951 times
We got super lucky with that southern dip it did. I live in Garner and we had the lights flicker some, but really it was barely even a rain event. I mean it rained, but we have had 30 minute thunderstorms dump more. However one county over in Johnston and there was flooding everywhere.

Now if you want to talk about hurricane Fran in 96... oh boy. I still have PTSD from that one.

Old 03-25-2019, 03:28 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,963,948 times
we live in Chapel Hill and Florence was fine. no problems.
Michael knocked out power for three days.
those right-of-way CH trees again.

Old 03-25-2019, 03:55 PM

4,551 posts, read 3,750,269 times
If you read most science articles, you will see that they predict more unstable weather patterns and stronger stronger storms for most of the US in the future. Think Hurricane Harvey in TX and other major flooding storms - not much wind but the rain water will totally destroy you. This includes NC.

For my part, I got an electrician to install an interlock switch on my breaker panel with an inlet plug for a generator. I still haven't actually bought a generator, but can't decide which one to get. Would love to get the Honda eu7000is but the bank account is not that healthy.

Old 03-25-2019, 05:27 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Yes, I know; thats exactly what I said and why I linked to the flood maps. I guess you didn't bother to explore the the site that I provided a link to?
Hmmm, I meant for my post to read "AS BC1960 read..." LOL

Old 03-26-2019, 07:13 AM

353 posts, read 458,410 times
I was one of about 200 people in Durham who lost power during Florence over the weekend. Otherwise it was just an inconvenience. It didn't even really rain that much. We got lucky here. It could have been much worse.

Old 03-26-2019, 07:17 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,596,869 times
We have friends in Durham that had their basement flood from all the rain. We lost power (less than 24 hours) and purchased a generator so we didn’t lose the food in the fridge and freezer. No flooding issues for us and we live near Hwy 55 and Morrisville Pkwy.

Old 03-26-2019, 06:19 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,422,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olderandwiser456 View Post
I think part of the issue is that the hurricanes are stalling or moving more slowly over land now, dropping historic amounts of rain. Harvey was a good example of the catastrophic result of stalling over land.

I live in Michigan but am considering the Triangle for retirement. It's hard at a distance to determine what areas might be "better" in terms of potential flooding. I'm considering Chapel Hill, Cary or Durham, and renting first. I plan to make a trip within the next few months, but I don't think there's any way of knowing in advance if a particular area or apartment complex might be prone to flooding.
You are over thinking this. Be happy you will escape the awful winters and pot hole filled roads for a better life. If this is such a big concern rent an apartment downtown on the highest level you can afford. SE NC gets flooded because of lower elevation and closer to the ocean. Some areas in the triangle flood and thats what flood maps are for. 99% of the Triangle doesn't flood so the odds are in your favor.

Old 03-26-2019, 08:23 PM

385 posts, read 348,583 times
Wind and a lot of trees are the problem here, not flooding. Even though I had a new roof I had water damage from rain blowing sideways. Neighbor had $100k loss from large tree. While in Michigan this summer a massive storm, 70 mph winds, cut across the state. Whole forests blown over. Had no electric for a week, (Houghton Lake area). Polar vortices are getting more common there. They really have a high misery factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary