Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2019, 07:21 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,525,630 times

Advertisements

Could you tell me about the rental and housing markets for 55+ communities anywhere in the Triangle? My mother age 72 would either rent or buy. Could afford up to low 300's or 3K/month, but would prefer a lower cost. She is still very mentally active (smart and with a great sense of humor!) and has minor health issues, but she can't navigate a lot of stairs due to arthritis.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2019, 08:00 PM

2,216 posts, read 2,936,227 times
There are some very nice 55+ communities here.

I know of Del Webb in Wake Forest and Durham however both are probably more than what you referenced above. I think WF starts around $350K and Durham is in the $400's. There is also the Courtyards at Heritage Grove in Wake Forest but again those are probably starting in the high $300's. I actually visited The Courtyards this weekend in case my Dad decides to ever move out this way. I was very pleasantly surprised and even told my husband I could consider something like that when we decide to downsize.

As for rentals, there will be a new active adult community in North Raleigh (it is currently under construction) however I am not sure what the pricing will be. It is called The Aspens at Bedord Falls.

I'm sure there are others but those are the one's I have seen. If she can live a little further out of the area she would probably be able to buy a home in one of their other communities.

Old 03-24-2019, 08:16 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,525,630 times
Great info! We are visiting in June and will investigate anything/everything mentioned in this thread!

I've only seen the higher priced areas online, so hoping someone has inside info about cheaper options...

Old 03-25-2019, 04:04 AM

4,266 posts, read 11,418,220 times
There are a couple of smaller homes in Carolina Arbors (the Del Webb on the Raleigh Duham line) in the lower 300's. 1200-1400+ SF, one level living. Plenty of room for one person. They also have an amazing amenity center (37,000SF) with indoor pool, outdoor pool, full gym and tons of activities. The community is very active and has a "Flying Solo" club. The community is essentially sold out with the exception of a couple of homes so she will be looking at resales. My husband and I lived there for almost 5 years; we were one of the first 40 homes sold back in 2013. It's a great community and we made some amazing friends.

[Mod cut: no brokerage links allowed]

Their sister community in Cary, Carolina Preserve, also has a couple of homes in the low 300's. The Del Webb in Wake Forest does not offer any of the smallest models and after paying a lot premium, all will be over $400k.

Last edited by RedZin; 03-25-2019 at 06:34 AM..

Old 03-25-2019, 05:11 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
Great info! We are visiting in June and will investigate anything/everything mentioned in this thread!

I've only seen the higher priced areas online, so hoping someone has inside info about cheaper options...
Yes, the area is peppered with 55+, with Del Webb/Pulte Homes probably having the most name recognition and the biggest clubhouses.

You might determine where you need to be for work, talk to Mom about how close you all need to be to each other, what amenities she will actually use, and work out in a radius from that basis.
She is more likely to find that <$3000 rental than a wide selection of low/< $300,000s houses.

Old 03-25-2019, 12:14 PM

12 posts, read 8,563 times
We live in a 55+ community in Garner, just south of Raleigh. The HOA web site is at Village at Aversboro Home Owners Association and there is a link to current houses for sale in the community. There are currently 2 in the $340's, which is a typical price in here, and houses typically sell quickly. It's a great community in a nice little town. We've lived here for about 2.5 years. There is a pretty active social group as part of the HOA although we haven't had much time to participate ourselves.
All the homes have the main living spaces on the ground level, and are very nicely designed for single-story living. Many of the homes have finished spaces in the 2nd floor.

Old 03-25-2019, 12:20 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,541,086 times
Try to find a rental in Heritage Pines.

Close to lots of stuff. No fancy golf course, etc.

Meet neighbors and find out who is getting ready to sell next and save you/them a seller's commission!

Old 03-25-2019, 11:04 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Finding a rental in a 55+ community is damn difficult. The few that come on the market are typically gone within days.

I'm addition to the prior comments, there is still active construction at Creekside at Bethpage in Durham, quite close to Brier Creek. Nice floorplans, very nice amenities in the big clubhouse. The 2/2 homes are less than 1500 feet and start at around $280-ish BEFORE upgrades.

Old 03-26-2019, 04:26 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Finding a rental in a 55+ community is damn difficult. The few that come on the market are typically gone within days.

I'm addition to the prior comments, there is still active construction at Creekside at Bethpage in Durham, quite close to Brier Creek. Nice floorplans, very nice amenities in the big clubhouse. The 2/2 homes are less than 1500 feet and start at around $280-ish BEFORE upgrades.

It will be a townhome, if that matters.
And, mind the powerlines, if that matters. They are even more stark than in Carolina Arbors.

Fendol Farms can deliver in the low $300,000s. Lennar homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary