Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 08:01 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,771,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
What I was alluding to was your land value.
That increase in value is a huge double-edged sword. If your goal is to eventually sell out and have a nice wad of cash to retire on, yeah, nice. If your goal is to sustain your business, hand it down to your children, etc., then it just means huge increases in taxes (unless protected from increases).

Trying to live a rural lifestyle near sprawling southern cities, is, unfortunately, a race against time. Will the town gobble you up before you move on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2019, 08:12 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,976,558 times
It makes me sad tbh I think it's the worst of both worlds

I think of my childhood in ENC and all these kids here growing up in townhouses with no yard no space to play no woods surrounded by traffic and i get seriously depressed and we complain about screen time?

I think about the serious crowd effect in public spaces around here now too it's no wonder we are losing our southern character because everywhere you go you're surrounded by people. you need psyhic armor and blinders just to exist. Growing up there was space to breathe and i know it used to be the case here too

its clear the town doesnt care and these developers are king

sorry if i've become disgruntled it happened by degrees

Old 03-26-2019, 08:20 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,270,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
It makes me sad tbh I think it's the worst of both worlds

I think of my childhood in ENC and all these kids here growing up in townhouses with no yard no space to play no woods surrounded by traffic and i get seriously depressed and we complain about screen time?

I think about the serious crowd effect in public spaces around here now too it's no wonder we are losing our southern character because everywhere you go you're surrounded by people. you need psyhic armor and blinders just to exist. Growing up there was space to breathe and i know it used to be the case here too

its clear the town doesnt care and these developers are king

sorry if i've become disgruntled it happened by degrees
It is possible to keep towns rural, it happens all the time up north. If the citizens care, they need to ask the right questions and elect the right people.

Unfortunately keeping a town rural in a growing area ultimately ends up in extremely high cost of living in that town.

Old 03-26-2019, 08:26 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,831,272 times
Writing has been on the wall for decades. Durham and Wake are urban counties. If you have a family farm here, and you want to be able to hand it down to your children, who you also expect to hand it down to their children, and you want it to remain a farm in perpetuity, this is not the place to do it. Sell the farm, buy something twice as big and twice as nice two or three counties out, and send all your grandkids to college with the leftover money.

I do acknowledge that it can be difficult to embrace change, but at the same time I do not feel especially sad about it. People have kids, the kids grow up, and then those kids have families of their own and they need somewhere to live. This is the reality of growth. Would you deny them the opportunity to live in the place that best suits their needs?

Old 03-26-2019, 08:27 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,379,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods Baptist View Post
In the case of the Page family, the county and city are actually planning on eventually forcing them to sell. The page family is not interested in selling. The county and city want to extend tw Alexander through page farm, through the golf course off leesville to connect to new leesville light.

That's the last I heard at least from Danny and Eddie.
Government acquisition of land for road construction and forcing someone to sell land for development are 2 entirely different things. The former is entirely appropriate, the latter simply doesn't happen.

Old 03-26-2019, 08:29 AM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
It is possible to keep towns rural, it happens all the time up north. If the citizens care, they need to ask the right questions and elect the right people.

Unfortunately keeping a town rural in a growing area ultimately ends up in extremely high cost of living in that town.

Yup. It's easy to protect land in stagnant and dying towns.

Old 03-26-2019, 08:33 AM

329 posts, read 250,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Government acquisition of land for road construction and forcing someone to sell land for development are 2 entirely different things. The former is entirely appropriate, the latter simply doesn't happen.
Kelo v. City of New London.

Old 03-26-2019, 08:39 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,976,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Yup. It's easy to protect land in stagnant and dying towns.
if i may ask which community would you say does the best job shaping and influencing development so there is a nice mix of home businesses and recreation

cary??

i mean is it really up for debate we're making a thoughtful well designed city scape and not just slapshod sprawl?

Old 03-26-2019, 08:40 AM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
if i may ask which community would you say does the best job shaping and influencing development so there is a nice mix of home businesses and recreation

cary??

Maybe Cary.
Maybe not. I dunno.

But, I can take you Up North, which is the reference, and show you town after town with absolutely no developmental or highway pressure on landowners.

Old 03-26-2019, 08:50 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,379,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods Baptist View Post
Kelo v. City of New London.
What about it? Obviously my comment was relative to NC. A Kelo-type taking is not allowed in NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary