Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 09:26 AM
DPK

4,595 posts, read 5,739,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 919 rtp View Post
I've always wondered if the traffic people can't look beyond Capital Blvd., 540, and I-40 at the Clayton Bypass.
One of the stations around here will mention the Clayton Bypass in their morning traffic reports. Can't remember if it was WRAL or News 14 Carolina (Spectrum News) though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2019, 11:17 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,175,042 times
I've noticed the same strange selection of news stories, especially crashes and such. Around Christmas, we were driving on Glenwood, between Creedmoor Rd and the Golden Corral. There was a HUGE accident that had just happened. One car was completely crushed/crumpled, massive skid marks all over the road, a 2nd car banged up further away. Honestly, I don't see how anyone in the crushed car survived at all. We searched WRAL for the next WEEK and never saw a single news report about it. No idea why. Was it somebody with power, money, and/or influence who made it go away? Local news just not on top of things? WRAL reporting, in particular, seems so random sometimes.

Old 03-27-2019, 03:50 PM

222 posts, read 219,667 times
From the police report, kids who live in Brook Arbor apartment ran out into the traffic on Hwy 55 and were hit. They are very, very lucky. I feel sorry for the drivers that hit them.

"Pedestrians 1 and 2 darted into the roadway with a third pedestrian when traffic in the
right lane was almost at a stop. Traffic in the left thru lane was continuing forward when
the pedestrians darted out from behind the vehicles in the right lane and were struck by
Vehicle 3. The third pedestrian was not struck. Vehicle 3 was brought to a controlled stop
in approximately 88 ft. Pedestrian 1 was thrown approximately 57 ft and made contact with
Vehicle 4 as it came to a stop in the right lane. Pedestrian 2`s point of landing was
unable to be determined, as she moved out of the roadway on her own after being struck."

Old 03-27-2019, 04:00 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,296,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassakitty View Post
From the police report, kids who live in Brook Arbor apartment ran out into the traffic on Hwy 55 and were hit. They are very, very lucky. I feel sorry for the drivers that hit them.

"Pedestrians 1 and 2 darted into the roadway with a third pedestrian when traffic in the
right lane was almost at a stop. Traffic in the left thru lane was continuing forward when
the pedestrians darted out from behind the vehicles in the right lane and were struck by
Vehicle 3. The third pedestrian was not struck. Vehicle 3 was brought to a controlled stop
in approximately 88 ft. Pedestrian 1 was thrown approximately 57 ft and made contact with
Vehicle 4 as it came to a stop in the right lane. Pedestrian 2`s point of landing was
unable to be determined, as she moved out of the roadway on her own after being struck."
Thanks. After reading this, I find the lack of news coverage even more odd.

Lucky kids for sure.

Old 03-27-2019, 04:00 PM

3,670 posts, read 6,585,374 times
Even if they did cover it you wouldn't have received useful details. It would have vaguely referenced what happened, provided a near-exact address of the incident (maybe even a map) but no names and an empty promise that more information will be provided when it becomes available; it never becomes available.

I hate local news coverage here, it's one of my few gripes about life in the Triangle. However, now when something happens I search Twitter as that's where eye-witness accounts are being shared.

Old 03-27-2019, 04:07 PM

222 posts, read 219,667 times
This is terrifying, really. Kids too young to drive. It was raining. Traffic is stopped at the light but only stopped in the right lane. They step into the right lane, and then the drivers in the left lane who are still driving at a good clip hit the kids as they step into the left lane. Good lord.

Old 03-27-2019, 04:45 PM

22,693 posts, read 36,880,576 times
So I confirmed what was posted on next-door and these kids were pre-teens. Jaywalking where there's no light on a 50 mph road. The parents need to be looked at here. Those kids were darn lucky. Feel bad for the drivers.

Old 03-27-2019, 05:24 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,549,384 times
I suspect the viewer demographic for local TV news has more pets than kids living at home. Therefore, all the locals carry idiotic, cute, viral pet videos-of-the-day in almost very news "show."

Some how, I feel this will publicized, as it does not require a reporter and video crew to be on-scene:

BREAKING: Friday, March 29 in Downtown Cary

Films@The Cary: CatVideoFest 2019
The Cary Theater, 7 p.m.
CatVideoFest is a compilation reel of the latest and best cat videos culled from countless hours of unique submissions and sourced animations, music videos, and, of course, classic internet powerhouses. CatVideoFest is a joyous communal experience, only available in theaters, and raises money for cats in need through partnerships with local cat charities. A portion of each ticket purchased will benefit Cat Angels Pet Adoption. Tickets can be purchased online, by calling (800) 514-3849, in person at the Cary Box Office located at The Cary Theater (122 E. Chatham St.) or one hour prior to each show. For more, call (919) 462-2051 or visit thecarytheater.com.

Old 03-28-2019, 06:06 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,165,540 times
There may be a policy about featuring juveniles without parental consent.

The only value to reporting the incident would be so parents could tell their kids to be more careful. For the rest of us it is just to satisfy our curiosity and with news operations spread thin maybe this just didn’t make the bar.

Old 03-28-2019, 08:53 AM

13,723 posts, read 12,486,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Yesterday around afternoon rush hour there was major police/fire activity in the area of 55 and High House in Cary. 55 was shut down in at least one direction for a while, causing major traffic issues.

I read on Nextdoor that two kids under the age of 12 were hit while trying to cross 55. Went to confirm this figuring it would be a news story somewhere, and can't find a thing about it anywhere.

Meanwhile on WRAL every other night I see stories about what seems to be random wrecks in further out counties. It's just odd to me that two children being hit on a highway doesn't make the news.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Maybe because the person posting on NextDoor was wrong. It's notoriously inaccurate (trust me - I'm a moderator).

Maybe because the kids weren't hurt badly? Multiple Fire trucks and EMT's show up regardless. (And I'm glad they do).

Maybe because Accident investigations and busted cars cause traffic jams all the time, assisted by the lookie-loos.

So many assumptions here. . .
I was thinking that. I was hit on a bicycle once and it was mostly scraped elbows and knees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary