Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 11:15 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,273,784 times

Advertisements

We noticed the sellers have Waste Industries cans in the garage so I contacted them via web form (while I was working) to ask about cost and changing over the account. Never heard back. I looked at their Google reviews. 51 reviews with a 1.5 star rating. Review after review about cans not being picked up and rude employees. I called them anyway and they charge $86.19 per quarter for garbage & trash pickup, plus $35 for the cans (if the sellers don't leave them), and they said pickup could be anywhere between 5am and 6:30pm on Mondays.

I kept looking and I found Anchor with great reviews but they said they won't service my area.

Next up is Patriot and they will provide service for $75. a quarter ($68.75 if I pre-pay for the year), but the only pickup time would be 5am on Mondays. These trucks are pretty loud, right? Not that I have much of a choice with any garbage collection service, but the woman who answered the phone also drives the truck and she said we would be the first pickup of the day.

Looks like Patriot will be better based on reviews and price. But I like to make sure I've exhausted my options, so I wondered if anyone had any suggestions? We'll be in southwest Raleigh, close to the Cary border (too far south for the City of Raleigh!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2019, 12:00 PM

1,836 posts, read 1,596,287 times
Personally, I would ask your new neighbors what company they use and what their experience has been. I would hate having several different companies servicing my street. Too many loud and heavy trucks.

Old 03-29-2019, 12:12 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,492,377 times
Most people in the area just use the City's/Town's pickup services. My guess is that Waste Industries is who the CoR contracts for trash pickup.

Old 03-29-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post
Personally, I would ask your new neighbors what company they use and what their experience has been. I would hate having several different companies servicing my street. Too many loud and heavy trucks.

I wanted to set this up before we move in, especially since if we go with Waste Industries, that would save us $35. But I see your point about the multiple services.

Maybe I'll do a driveby Monday after work, see what cans are out on the street. I don't know the neighbors yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Most people in the area just use the City's/Town's pickup services. My guess is that Waste Industries is who the CoR contracts for trash pickup.

I can't use City/Town because we are out of their range. It's all private company pickup in the subdivision.

Old 03-29-2019, 12:27 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,492,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
I can't use City/Town because we are out of their range. It's all private company pickup in the subdivision.
Sorry, I missed that in your OP. That's really surprising to me. It's not like that's a far flung remote area.

Old 03-29-2019, 12:28 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,375,734 times
Are you inside the city limits of Raleigh?

Old 03-29-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I missed that in your OP. That's really surprising to me. It's not like that's a far flung remote area.

No problem. I don't think it's far either but apparently they don't come to our new neck of the woods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Are you inside the city limits of Raleigh?

We have a Raleigh address but when looking at service maps and searching for the address on the garbage and recycling section of raleighnc.gov, we are not in their service area.

Old 03-29-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
We have a Raleigh address but when looking at service maps and searching for the address on the garbage and recycling section of raleighnc.gov, we are not in their service area.
Gotcha, so you're not in the city limits and don't pay city taxes. I was confused how you could be in the city of Raleigh and not receive city services.

Old 03-29-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
City only collects trash in the city limits. OP is apparently outside city limits. Mailing addresses sometimes causes confusion.

Old 03-29-2019, 12:49 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,573,449 times
I read negative posts about Waste Industries all the time on Nextdoor and just don't get it. We've been using them for twelve years with nearly zero issues. Occasionally they miss picking up recycling on its scheduled day but usually rectify that within a few days.

And even if you find an viable alternative, it's likely only a matter of time until WI buys them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary