Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 06:51 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,195,970 times

Advertisements

Southern traditionalists tend to prefer Krispy Kreme
Hipsters tend to prefer Rise
Northern transplants tend to prefer Dunkin Donuts.

The only opinionated comment that I'd make is if you're paying $3 for any non-donut breakfast item at DD, you like convenience store food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2019, 06:53 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,319,644 times
I'm Krispy Kreme all the way and prefer Sunrise for biscuits or my own. I would definitely take Rise over Dunkin Donuts. Had the worst dry donut from there a couple of weeks ago. Claggy and stodgy and dry!

Old 04-02-2019, 06:58 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,258,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Southern traditionalists tend to prefer Krispy Kreme
Hipsters tend to prefer Rise
Northern transplants tend to prefer Dunkin Donuts.

The only opinionated comment that I'd make is if you're paying $3 for any non-donut breakfast item at DD, you like convenience store food.
I remember when KK came to New England. There was so much hype, and then they just miserably failed. Hard to succeed when there's so much demand for Dunkin Donuts that they're putting them across the street from each other.

Dunkin used to be really good when they were making the donuts onsite. That's long gone though.

I'm a big Duck Donuts fan. It's more like eating cake versus a traditional donut....but man they're so good when they're warm.

All this being said, I don't think there's a donut I wouldn't eat....anywhere. They're all good.

Old 04-02-2019, 07:27 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,319,644 times
Duck Donuts are pretty okay, but I think I would rather not have a Dunkin Donut again. Give me a fresh hot Krispy Kreme any day. Rise makes pretty good donuts and pretty good biscuits. I don't really eat chicken out so that is not a draw for me at all.

Old 04-02-2019, 07:41 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,475,531 times
-Duck is decent, but it’s not the best option if I want a glazed donut.

-RISE was a little pricey for their donuts, but they were pretty good as well.

I’m still confused as to why Dunkin Donuts has two locations literally a mile apart in Durham (one on Erwin and another on Hillsborough) especially considering that that the latter opened after Krispy Kreme.

Old 04-02-2019, 07:53 PM

6,373 posts, read 5,482,840 times
I think this is appropriate.

I had their chicken biscuit with pimento cheese, bacon, and tomato last week and it was next-level. There was a name for it I think it was "Carolina style".

Whatever it was....it was amazing.

Their donuts are good....but not $14-for-a-half-dozen good.

Old 04-02-2019, 08:10 PM

595 posts, read 676,429 times
Rise’s chicken biscuit is legit!

Old 04-02-2019, 08:25 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,752,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
While I would never design a healthy diet centered on fried anything, a piece of fried chicken is a considerably better option than a donut.

I suppose that Rise is struggling to separate in the market from other donut competitors. I don't usually eat donuts, but if I'm going to it's going to be Duck Donuts, not Rise. And if I'm going chicken and waffles, I'm not thinking Rise either, I'm going downtown to Beasley's or maybe Dame's. It's not the sort of thing most people eat regularly and why not go for the best options available when you do decide to indulge?
Not if it’s on a biscuit.

Old 04-02-2019, 08:35 PM
TLB

17 posts, read 30,912 times
My favorite donut in the area is Early Bird Donuts on Erwin in Durham. You have to get there early, though, or they run out.

I like Rise ok but it’s never been my go-to. It is the more convenient option now that I live close to Southpoint, but Biscuitville is my preferred fast food biscuit.

Old 04-02-2019, 08:37 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,868,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Duck Donuts are pretty okay, but I think I would rather not have a Dunkin Donut again. Give me a fresh hot Krispy Kreme any day. Rise makes pretty good donuts and pretty good biscuits. I don't really eat chicken out so that is not a draw for me at all.
Re my comment on KKs becoming too sweet for me over time, that's the same reason DD didn't last long in Japan, they find most American stuff too sweet.

DD on trips to Thailand (they sell them in the airport) was a once- or twice-a-year indulgence, which was more than enough, as DD aren't particularly good there or anywhere. But Japan does have Mister Donut, which are not bad, and was for me a once in a blue moon blessing. But there there are enough middle- and high-end French and Japanese style bakeries with way better stuff than donuts, so I indulged on that stuff instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary