Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 10:22 AM

43,253 posts, read 77,010,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkingsbury View Post
Two quick questions -

Forgive me, I'm not familiar with the area AT ALL. Is Flowers Plantation a builder or a town? I found a Flowers Plantation website with many subdivisions noted. I just wanted to be sure that is what you were referring to.

I've been using Zillow and have been inputting no more than a 30 minute commute from where my job is and I've included the school rating I find acceptable. My current issue is figuring out what the commute ACTUALLY is with traffic. What I'm gathering is anywhere I have to travel on I-40 will be more traffic prone, is that right?

Thank you again for your help! This Forum is amazing!
Flowers Plantation is a massive group of subdivisions, as you have noted.
NCDOT is in process of widening NC42 into Clayton and US70.

Traffic to E Raleigh should be OK, but US70 and secondary roads are heavily traveled due to explosive growth in Clayton.
It may work for you, but you should drive it during your typical drive time hours to have a grasp of the commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2019, 10:47 AM

13,366 posts, read 27,000,444 times
Quote:
Is Flowers Plantation a builder or a town? I found a Flowers Plantation website with many subdivisions noted. I just wanted to be sure that is what you were referring to.
Flowers Plantation is a large development centered around an old plantation home with the same name. It is not an incorporated town, just a section of Clayton. It does have many subdivisions with different builders targeted at different income levels.

I personally love the amenities within Flowers Plantations. Some homes are within walking distance of an elementary school. I would recommend it, if the price level and commute are good for you.

For actual commute times, I would try Google maps to the address in East Raleigh at the time of day when you would be commuting.

Old 04-05-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
My husband and I are thinking about relocating to NC from Virginia Beach. ....... Our jobs would be located in East Raleigh and we are curious whether Clayton or Garner is a better option .....We have an infant and a toddler so we need daycare and elementary school.
Considering both parents would be working and have small children in daycare, I really think you should be located as close to work as possible. What if one child gets sick, and one parent has to leave work to care for him or her? Would either of you be on call after hours?

I suggest renting first, and worry about good schools later. You will have a more realistic picture of schools and the commute time when you have seen it on the ground.

Old 04-05-2019, 11:20 AM

20 posts, read 21,532 times
Understood, thanks!!!

Old 04-05-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Understood, thanks!!!
Of course, none of us know your childcare options and how you handle them. Knightdale might be a good option for renting, but it is not as affluent or as nice as Flowers Plantation.

Old 04-05-2019, 11:51 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,614,292 times
Quote:
My husband and I are thinking about relocating to NC from Virginia Beach. Hoping to live somewhere quiter and with a better cost of living. Our jobs would be located in East Raleigh and we are curious whether Clayton or Garner is a better option (or perhaps another location). Our biggest concerns are schools and traffic time to and from work. Looking for no more than a 30 minute commute. We have an infant and a toddler so we need daycare and elementary school. Any suggestions or tips? We LOVE the new construction houses we are seeing for sale in both areas. Thanks in advance!!!
Wow this is cool. We live in Virginia Beach (Town Center/Thalia) and just spent a few days in Raleigh. My girlfriend is from there though, so she has a bunch of family in Raleigh...

We just secured a place in the White Oak area of Garner, moving in on the 23rd, we are renters. I will work in Northeast Raleigh but the commute appears to be 25 minutes, as White Oak is right off of 40 and my job is right off of Capital. Not a bad commute, I've done worse living here, traveling from Town Center to Hampton...

We're excited. What brings you guys from The Beach to Raleigh?

Old 04-05-2019, 12:32 PM

That's awesome!! We live in the Kempsville area. We were hoping to find a place with lower cost of living and a slower pace. Also, we're looking to buy a larger home to accommodate us and our 2 munchkins and the homes I'm seeing are way more affordable in Clayton/Garner area than where we currently live. My husbands job will allow him to transfer easily but we're waiting on my job to have an opening. Trying to get things sorted. Good luck to you!

Old 04-05-2019, 03:14 PM

1,255 posts, read 1,181,717 times
I'm surprised to hear the cost of living is cheaper in the Triangle than Virginia Beach. I agree that you should rent a year first to figure out where you want to live since schools aren't an immediate issue. It will give you some time to understand the traffic, how far out you want to be, and the school system.

Old 04-05-2019, 04:17 PM

Some costs are the same with Raleigh and VA Beach but overall cost of living in Clayton is cheaper than Virginia Beach. The housing is WAY cheaper. A remodeled ranch near me that's 4 bedrooms and 2000 sq feet is $420k - It's is a nice area but it's not the fancy side of town by any means. I'm seeing 4 bedrooms 2000+ sq feet new construction homes for high 200's in Clayton and Garner. We thought about renting for the reasons you noted but the thought of moving twice with two little ones sounds like a nightmare but it may have to happen if I can't figure it out. Thanks for your response!

Old 04-05-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Considering both parents would be working and have small children in daycare, I really think you should be located as close to work as possible. What if one child gets sick, and one parent has to leave work to care for him or her? Would either of you be on call after hours?

I suggest renting first, and worry about good schools later. You will have a more realistic picture of schools and the commute time when you have seen it on the ground.
I would be the only one able to get them- luckily my job is flexible. Currently we have both their schools near home and I just leave work to grab them when needed. I work about 20-30 minutes away depending on traffic. That's what I'm hoping to do in NC. Whether I'm renting or buying I have to have a good public pre-school for my 4 year old. He has some sensory processing issues. I suppose I should start there and then see what homes we like in the that area. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary