Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 12:59 PM

66 posts, read 129,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eolector View Post
We have lived here for 5 years and no one has ever asked us about our religious beliefs.

Not one.

Ever.

I wonder what would happen if I were to ask whether there were doctrinaire leftists around here? Are you anti-diversity?
Same here, been here 14 years, same, no one has asked me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2019, 01:14 PM

27,011 posts, read 43,601,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arton1 View Post
Are there atheists, non conservatives and liberals who reside in Greater Raleigh and beyond. Thanks
I'll take a much less snotty approach to answering your question by saying yes however if important to find a place where that's much less an issue would point you more toward Durham-Chapel Hill-Carrboro than Raleigh-Cary as it's historically much more left of center politically.

Old 04-06-2019, 01:14 PM

114 posts, read 127,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
Very diverse and people of all types here.

Are you thinking of moving down here from MD/DC/NOVA?
How did you know where I'm from lol...you seemed to be right

Old 04-06-2019, 03:22 PM

59 posts, read 34,512 times
I moved to the Triangle from NYC. As a nonbeliever, I have had no problem here. On Sundays the large health clubs like LifeTime are actually busy on Sunday mornings. If you get invited to someone's church do not be offended. It is like someone to meet up with you for a cup of coffee. They will get it if you do not go.

Old 04-06-2019, 05:11 PM

6,874 posts, read 7,851,412 times
I lived in Raleigh for 7 years and not once did anyone ask what church I go to. I found plenty of kindred spirits.

Since I'm open minded, religious people don't offend me until they ring my doorbell. I actually think it's cool when people walk their talk, regardless of what it is.

Old 04-06-2019, 06:14 PM

2,216 posts, read 2,925,383 times
So many parts of this area are filled with transplants that it will be a non issue.

I have been here for 14 years (North Raleigh) and only once have I been asked if I would like to join someone at their church. No one else has ever asked if I am religious, etc.

Old 04-06-2019, 06:32 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,082,322 times
I've never been invited to someone's church in 40+ years in Raleigh. I guess that I hang out with the right crowd?

Old 04-06-2019, 07:19 PM

6,356 posts, read 5,448,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I've never been invited to someone's church in 40+ years in Raleigh. I guess that I hang out with the right crowd?
You and your heathen crowd be-gone!

Old 04-06-2019, 08:47 PM

781 posts, read 741,034 times
I have not been here very long and I really didn’t want to come to another red state. I lived in South FL and it was AWFUL, a lot of political stuff I didn’t care to see or hear. I am a left leaning moderate from the northeast and agnostic borderline atheist. We just try to keep our mouths shut about religion.

I’m happy to report that to me Raleigh feels moderate, I guess it helps I’m close to Cary and all “my people.” That said, this isn’t SF where it’s over the top liberal (to me) and where it is ok for people to defecate on the public streets.

I do try to screen anyone out that I would become close with and make sure we feel the same way about 45 before bothering to invest time with them. It’s sad it has come to this, but after listening to a friend’s Texan husband bash a previous president I respected, it’s just necessary. He knew we weren’t on the same page and chose to bring it up, rather than peacefully co-exists. Made damn sure I never saw him again, but I don’t live in that state anymore either.

Old 04-06-2019, 11:14 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,866,759 times
Just chiming in, the church question is more so about social gathering. What I noticed just observing my parents, aunts, uncles, older cousins and now myself as it's now nearing almost a decade since I've graduated college, it gets harder to make friends(real ones that is). Lots of older folks(only say older folks since they are more inclined to ask the question) church isn't just a place they go to, to hear the word. It's their hang out spot and where they link up to meet their friends and how they get to know people. Also how they go on trips(my pops church just recently took a cruise to the Bahamas and are planning on going on another cruise)

So the suggestion is more so coming from a place of trying to help someone new meet new people. If we are to be real, tons of people move to places and some people hate their new home and some people love it, and whether they admit it are not. The people who hate xyz place, no matter what they say, in reality it's because they are lonely. And being in a new place all alone can suck *** when you find yourself doing EVERYTHING solo dolo ALL the time.

All this being said, they're believers and non believers every where, as long as you are not out there bashing other people's beliefs most people will mind their own business.

Last edited by drrckmtthws; 04-06-2019 at 11:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary