Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 11:56 AM

215 posts, read 151,403 times

Advertisements

We lived in Chicago suburbs for 8+ years now. Last year we planned to move to NC area (RTP) and started looking for job in IT (Development / Programming).

Last year summer, we were close to make a move, but couldn't do it due to some issues.

We both work in IT (Development & Programming).
I am wondering if RTP is still a good choice in terms of IT Jobs vs any other place. (Of course, not CA, NY :-), for obvious reasons).

Chicago has good IT jobs, but weather, crime and taxes are big issues here.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2019, 12:42 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,960,626 times
since Illinois is losing population, a lot of former residents think any other place is a good choice.

quote:
From July 2017 to July 2018, Illinois’ population shrank by more than 45,000 people, behind only New York for the worst raw population decline in the nation, according to data released Dec. 19 by the U.S. Census Bureau.
link:
https://www.illinoispolicy.org/illin...straight-year/

Old 04-09-2019, 12:43 PM

1,256 posts, read 1,182,924 times
IT Jobs: RTP has them. I'm not sure if the payscale is different.
Weather: Definitely much better than Chicago. We do have very muggy summers though.
Crime: Not sure about the suburbs, but the crime is mostly petty stuff here. Breaking into unlocked cars.
Taxes: We have state income tax, a low property tax, a moderate sales tax, but also annual taxes on personal property like cars.

Old 04-09-2019, 01:16 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times
OP, you do understand that RTP is an office park? Nobody "lives" there, they live near by and commute. (But there are a few projects to change that.)

I think you are asking about the Raleigh-Durham-Cary-Chapel Hill area.

I happen to like Chicago and I would move back there if I could. But I don't think I would want to live in the Chicago suburbs where I would have to drive everywhere.

Old 04-09-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
OP, you do understand that RTP is an office park? Nobody "lives" there, they live near by and commute. (But there are a few projects to change that.)

I think you are asking about the Raleigh-Durham-Cary-Chapel Hill area.

I happen to like Chicago and I would move back there if I could. But I don't think I would want to live in the Chicago suburbs where I would have to drive everywhere.
Chicago City is, no doubt, a pretty good one. But again, if you own a home, you will know the pain of paying taxes. You have Metra trains from almost all the Suburbs, and is preferred over driving to Chicago from Burbs.

I know, RTP is an office park. The main point is Jobs, which is what I am referring to.

Old 04-09-2019, 01:37 PM

3,023 posts, read 2,235,771 times
As a Chicagoland native living down here for almost 20 years, I love it here. Tons of IT jobs to be had!

Old 04-09-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
As a Chicagoland native living down here for almost 20 years, I love it here. Tons of IT jobs to be had!
Thank you, a great mood booster!

Old 04-09-2019, 01:58 PM

2,843 posts, read 2,973,786 times
really good if you are far up the IT food chain

we are under rapid sprawl with very poor infrastructure services

dont move without a job

Old 04-09-2019, 02:01 PM

1,204 posts, read 776,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicy_guy View Post
Thank you, a great mood booster!
I do not think that will be a problem. My partner and I recently changed out Linkedin status to something along "actively looking in Raleigh/Durham area" and have been getting contacted by recruiters a lot. I checked some public databases to see what public employees make (since you can't get info about private sector), and the pay scale seems to be very comparable to other big cities

We are in fintech/data and healthcare tech. These seem to be in abundance in RTP, Durham, and downtown Raleigh areas.

Old 04-09-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
I do not think that will be a problem. My partner and I recently changed out Linkedin status to something along "actively looking in Raleigh/Durham area" and have been getting contacted by recruiters a lot. I checked some public databases to see what public employees make (since you can't get info about private sector), and the pay scale seems to be very comparable to other big cities

We are in fintech/data and healthcare tech. These seem to be in abundance in RTP, Durham, and downtown Raleigh areas.
Thats great to hear! We both are in IT Development (cloud, etc). I prefer consulting while my parter prefers full time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary