Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 12:54 PM

10 posts, read 7,941 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

We are relocating to the triangle area next summer and have spent a few weeks now reading all the internet has to offer and have made one trip, planning a second in a few weeks.

Husband and I meet in Washington DC, lived there 10 years, and moved to SC to get away from the city and closer to family. We are in a small coastal town of 15,000 and love a lot of it, but ... the education. It's a one-school, one town kinda place, and we have 3 kids (ages 5, 6, and 8) with different needs. One is very academically inclined, but anxious, another has an IEP for sensory, possibly AHDH/possibly Autism, and the third is pretty "normal". All kids are currently at a Montessori School - two at a private, one at a public charter. We also have 3 dogs.

We are not used to walking anywhere BUT, can golfcart to the library, and are less than 10 minutes to both schools, as well as 4 grocery stores, and most of the kids-after school activities (which are, albeit, limited). Would love to keep it that way.

We're farmers market/Trader Joes/Whole Foods kind of people, with some dietary restrictions as far as kids good, are looking for somewhere close (15 min max drive) to schools (more on that below), with a great library nearby, outdoor parks and playgrounds, walking/trail/bike paths, a lake/access to nature, etc. From the research we've done and our one visit, it seems like CH is more what we are looking for than Cary/Apex/Durham/Morrisville/Raleigh, but we are open to any thoughts/suggestions. Both Husband and I work from home, so location really only needs to be based on 1) education and 2) neighborhood.

Education is, the biggest consideration, because that's why we're moving. We think we've narrowed it down to the 2 charter Montessori schools, Montessori Community School, the Duke School, the Studio School - all are in/around CH or Durham. We are more interested in alternative education styles - not the sit at your desk and listen all day direct instruction type of environment that is pervasive in most public schools. We're ideally looking for a school that has a small(er) class size (or student/teacher ratio), lots of recess or time outside, nurturing staff, and the openness and ability to support different learning styles and special needs. Any thoughts on any of the mentioned schools or any others we should consider would be most appreciated!

As far as neighborhood - we'd like something where kids can somewhat roam free and meet outside to play with neighbors. Sidewalks. A community pool. Lake/playground are pluses but not necessary. A close-knit, probably Smaller/ish, community, with family friendly activities, but not 100% kid occupied (eg., we dont want to be in a community with 400 hours and 800 kids)

Would love to be within a few miles to a coffee shop, a grocery store, a farm-to-table restaurant (or any restaurant with gluten free/paleo options). The option to walk somewhere would be great, but not necessary.

The hard part... size and price. We'd like a min. of 3000 sq ft, 4 bed, on a half acre, but 4000 sq ft, 5 bed, 1 acre would be even better. Old or new doesn't matter. We currently live in a 3 year house we built, but have also lived in a house closer to 70 years old. If the school was close and neighborhood was perfect, house age is not important. We'd like to cap it at 900k plus or minus; Less would be ideal, but I know we may be looking for a unicorn...

Any thoughts on whether our thoughts are on track in terms of CH and schools? Any other areas to consider?Any areas/neighborhoods in CH you'd recommend we consider (or avoid)? Any thoughts on schools? Anything I'm missing totally?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2019, 03:15 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,276,830 times
For most families who move to Chapel Hill do the Chapel Hill Carrboro City Schools are a big part of the draw. If you don't want that then you might not want to be in Chapel Hill because you will pay a premium for the privilege.

If you want private schools you might be interested in Carolina Friends School, which along with the Montessori Community School and the Duke School are all in Durham not Chapel Hill.

Old 04-10-2019, 04:46 PM

1,320 posts, read 1,249,343 times
I don't know much about the Emerson Waldorf school in Durham, but it may be an option you haven't look at yet.

Old 04-10-2019, 04:50 PM

Emerson Waldorf is actually in Chapel Hill, but it is a Waldorf school, so since they were looking for Montessori (very child led) I didn't know that Waldorf would be a good fit.

Old 04-10-2019, 04:53 PM

1,320 posts, read 1,249,343 times
Did it used to be in Durham near downtown near Morehead/Gregson? I don't know much about it except as an alternative to public schools.

Old 04-10-2019, 05:31 PM

I think you must be thinking of a different school. Emerson Waldorf has been in its current location near Allen & Son as long as I can remember. Their website says it's been there since 1987. Waldorf education is pretty unique. Interesting to read about.

I think Carolina Friends (private) could be a good fit for someone who likes Montessori. There are several Montessori-based or influenced schools (magnets, and private) in Durham. There's also Willow Oak Montessori (charter) in Chatham County near Pittsboro. I believe the Duke School (private) and Central Park School for Children (charter) in Durham could be worth checking out, too. They are project-based, maybe a little Reggio Emelia influenced. CHCCS would be worth checking out too. It's a very good district and they do some project based stuff too.

Last edited by poppydog; 04-10-2019 at 05:54 PM..

Old 04-11-2019, 07:24 AM

6 posts, read 6,931 times
In terms of neighborhoods, some of the older Chapel Hill areas are walkable to the library, Whole Foods, and Trader Joe's. Coker Hills and Lake Forest houses match what you are describing in terms of lot size and house size, and price. Homeowners in those neighborhoods also have the option to join the Lake Forest Association and have access to the lake (for a fee), there is a waiting list, probably about a year long but sometimes less. No pool that I know of.

Southern Village and Meadowmont are walkable with pools, you probably won't find a large lot but there are many lots backing up to protected wooded areas so those lots may "feel" bigger than they are. Taxes in CH are very high because of the school system so that's an extra cost to consider - if you don't plan to use the schools, you can get more land and/or more house outside the city limits. But in most cases you will lose the walkable aspect. CH has a nice greenway connecting several parks and shopping areas, which you can walk to from the central older part of town.

I echo school recs like Carolina Friends, Willow Oak charter (in Chatham but close to Chapel Hill - they are working on their own building and moving to Briar Chapel in the next few years I believe), and Central Park. The Expedition School in Hillsborough is another to look at, project-based and combined ages in the younger classes, I've heard some good things about that one, as with all charters I am sure there is a waitlist and probably too late to apply for next year. Churton Grove in Hillsborough I believe has a pool and some larger lots, and is walkable to some shopping but maybe too far from the downtown Weaver Street Market area.

Old 04-11-2019, 07:53 AM

And now that I have re-read your post more carefully I do think you could add the Hillsborough area to your list, since you work from home and commute isn't a problem. It has a nice small town feel, lots of good restaurants, organic market (Weaver Street), etc. Fairly easy drive to the Duke School, Carolina Friends, etc. Lots of large homes on large lots in Orange County around Hillsborough. But you may want to also think about high school plans since several of the schools you mentioned only go through 8th grade, in which case the high school district you live in might become important in about 5 years... Friends does go through 12th, and Cedar Ridge High in Orange County has the IB program which some say is a good fit for post-Montessori kids, I don't know of any Montessori high schools in the area. I do think some of the traditional public schools are trying to move away from direct instruction and toward more project-based philosophy... but in my experience it really just depends on the principal and the teacher your child has that year.

Old 04-11-2019, 08:22 AM

1,254 posts, read 1,176,641 times
Would you be able to apply for charter schools if you don't live in state? Most of the lotteries happen in the Spring and slots are usually pretty limited for older children.

I know you've ruled it out, but Raleigh has a K-12 Montessori School. https://msr.org

Old 04-11-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farebluenc View Post
Would you be able to apply for charter schools if you don't live in state? Most of the lotteries happen in the Spring and slots are usually pretty limited for older children.

I know you've ruled it out, but Raleigh has a K-12 Montessori School. https://msr.org
It depends on the school. Some require proof of residency just to enter the lottery, but others don't require proof until you enroll your child, and a signed lease or contract on a house is often acceptable proof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary