Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2008, 05:17 PM

2 posts, read 3,813 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My family & I are re-locating from Greensboro to Raleigh. We are newer to NC and we have spent very little time in Raleigh so--where to start?

My husbands office will be located off of HWY 54 & close to the RTP.
We want to live approx. 20 minutes from his office.
We don't care about schools per se as our son is in college & our daughter, 13, is home schooled.

I would like to live close to things--stores, etc, and a little older neighborhood appeals to me--we live in a brand new house/development now & I think I would prefer an older house in a nice established neighborhood.
Our price range is up to 350k.

Is there anywhere close to downtown Raleigh that might fit the bill? We have been told to consider Cary as well.

I appreciate any & all input as I know it's hard to direct a complete stranger to where she might be happiest living--. I just want to be able to start looking in some direction.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 06:30 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,032,472 times
If you want to close to RTP, I would suggest durham. You will find older more established homes in that area than looking in the cary/apex area. I used to live in greensboro (graduated from guilford college), and the best comparison I can give you for the rtp area to living downtown is like commuting from new garden road to someplace near the mall, every day.

Durham is a great town, some wonderful neighborhoods that are close to "the conveniences" and would be a nice drive for your husband to get to work.

Good Luck!
Leigh

Old 04-11-2008, 06:44 PM

43,275 posts, read 77,083,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperfits View Post
Hello,

My family & I are re-locating from Greensboro to Raleigh. We are newer to NC and we have spent very little time in Raleigh so--where to start?

My husbands office will be located off of HWY 54 & close to the RTP.
We want to live approx. 20 minutes from his office.
We don't care about schools per se as our son is in college & our daughter, 13, is home schooled.

I would like to live close to things--stores, etc, and a little older neighborhood appeals to me--we live in a brand new house/development now & I think I would prefer an older house in a nice established neighborhood.
Our price range is up to 350k.

Is there anywhere close to downtown Raleigh that might fit the bill? We have been told to consider Cary as well.

I appreciate any & all input as I know it's hard to direct a complete stranger to where she might be happiest living--. I just want to be able to start looking in some direction.

Thanks in advance!
Some possibilities in established neighborhoods:

Raleigh,
Meredith Woods
Medfield Estates
Trinity Woods
Downtown is a little higher in price, but these neighborhoods offer good access, particularly Meredith Woods.

Cary:
Devereaux
Brookstone
West Park
Lansdowne
Wellsley
Sherwood Greens
MacArthur Park
Giverny
Weston Pointe
Silverton neighborhoods
Northwoods
Kingswood

Really quite a few choices in Cary, within the 20 minute drive. 20 minutes is a stretch to Raleigh, or to much of Cary, particularly in the evening commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary