U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 07:51 AM

3 posts, read 1,953 times

Advertisements

Hi looking at a home in Durham, in the Lawson Street area between NC Central & Durham Tech. Anyone know the area and if so any thoughts about living there? Crime rate data has me wondering if good or safe place to live. thanks!

Last edited by NatG; 04-12-2019 at 07:52 AM.. Reason: typeo
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2019, 08:17 AM

329 posts, read 190,697 times
Post South and east durham

That particular area isn't that great. Just yesterday a 22 year old fellow was found shot and killed in hillside park right near there. The southeast and east quadrants of Durham city are the bad spots at night. Roughly from n. Miami to roxboro street is the epicenter. It gets progressively better the farther you are from there.

Old 04-12-2019, 09:57 AM

3 posts, read 1,953 times
TY for your feedback!

Old 04-12-2019, 10:24 AM

1,391 posts, read 1,186,816 times
Not to be disparaging, but you would be very close to McDougald Terrace (The Ghetto).

There’s safer neighborhoods near NCCU, but this area ain’t one of them.

Old 04-12-2019, 10:57 AM

10 posts, read 16,276 times
Look I'm not trying to be mean, but you're kidding right? That's ground zero.

Old 04-12-2019, 01:29 PM

781 posts, read 3,366,926 times
Actually, Lawson St is not bad at all. Great location right across from the university. I would advise to stay west of lawson/Alston if possible, and if you do, you'll be just fine.

Old 04-12-2019, 02:58 PM

10 posts, read 16,276 times
Look I'm not trying to get flamed here but freshjiv just endorsed Lawson Street. Which is where McDougald Terrace is. I'm a outgoing blk professional and have a pulse on the city. Its not even advisable to drive down there at night. I took a couple of classes at Tech and did not want to stop at the light on Lawson leading to the school. I agree west of Lawson/Alston is slightly better but you are still taking a risk. Granted I don't sell the houses but I know the neighborhoods.

You make the decision drive over and take a look. Drive anywhere in the Central / Tech area. If you are from the city and used to the hood then it may appeal to you.

Old 04-12-2019, 03:36 PM

1,391 posts, read 1,186,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fannman View Post
Look I'm not trying to get flamed here but freshjiv just endorsed Lawson Street. Which is where McDougald Terrace is. I'm a outgoing blk professional and have a pulse on the city. Its not even advisable to drive down there at night. I took a couple of classes at Tech and did not want to stop at the light on Lawson leading to the school. I agree west of Lawson/Alston is slightly better but you are still taking a risk. Granted I don't sell the houses but I know the neighborhoods.

You make the decision drive over and take a look. Drive anywhere in the Central / Tech area. If you are from the city and used to the hood then it may appeal to you.
He did have a point; Lawson street west of 55 is a little better (Not the best part of Durham, but it isn’t downright terrible) but the section between Durham Tech and NC 55 that OP mentioned? AVOID IT LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!! This is an area where you risk getting shot or beat up if you wear the wrong color T-Shirt.

A couple of the neighborhoods off Alston (after it splits off from NC 55) aren’t too bad, and I would consider them quiet neighborhoods.

Last edited by Renownedtheworldaround; 04-12-2019 at 03:45 PM..

Old 04-12-2019, 04:07 PM

1,257 posts, read 1,363,176 times
@NatG

Goodby!

Old 04-12-2019, 05:43 PM

5,368 posts, read 3,998,222 times
I'll just say...

There's a reason that house has been sitting on the market for 21 days (an eternity in the Durham RE market this time of year) despite being in liveable shape and for an extremely low price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary