Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 07:21 AM

22,671 posts, read 36,804,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I guess I see what you're saying. I rarely travel internationally, but I keep an up to date passport just in case.

I am getting them for us one at a time. Got one for my daughter last year because we were all getting TSA pre check and the only way to get that is with a government issued i.d. Only government issued i.d. for a 14 year old is a passport. Then my son went to Europe this year and wants to go abroad in college, got his next. Have to work on the 3rd kid and me and DH next. But at any rate, even if I had one I'm not taking it with me every time I need to travel. You CAN get a passport card if you want to do that, and I got one for my daughter as well as the book. Some countries you can get away with only the card for entry if I remember correctly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2019, 07:29 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Here at Avent Ferry at 8.47. Long line but at least there is some shelter and you are out of the rain. Debating whether to wait or make an appointment.
Avent Ferry has a fairly large waiting area. If they're open and there's a line outside, that's a sign of a pretty long wait ahead of you.

Old 04-13-2019, 08:19 AM

6,825 posts, read 9,061,623 times
That's what I thought. That's why I didn't stay.

Old 04-13-2019, 03:14 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,728,862 times
We went to Avent Ferry this morning and were about 100 back in line when showing up at 7:30am (door opened at 8am). The line moved surprisingly quick as they had it down to a science with a lot of volunteers as they've done this once before. They have people that go through the entire line weeding out people that don't have the correct documents, pre-checking all your docs with paperclips if you do have them so there's no time wasted once you get inside.

If they find something wrong they'll let you come back either later in the day and let you "line jump" or will schedule you for an appt then and there. Super efficient and glad we stuck it out. Were out the door by 9:30am with our temporary RealIDs.

The guy who was running it today said that the last time they did it they had roughly 700 people come through just for RealIDs in one day and the average wait time all day is about 30 minutes once you are actually in the waiting room. Ended up being fairly accurate for us.

Old 04-13-2019, 03:23 PM

Do DMV offices have bathrooms? Because I imagine that could be a problem, waiting in line for 2 hours?

Old 04-14-2019, 12:41 AM
DPK

Quote:
Do DMV offices have bathrooms? Because I imagine that could be a problem, waiting in line for 2 hours?
The one on Avent Ferry does, right next to the waiting room.

Old 04-14-2019, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
The one on Avent Ferry does, right next to the waiting room.
Were they calling out numbers, did they assign any? Or did they just take the next person in line?

Old 04-14-2019, 07:41 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,828,538 times
Quote:
All places with public waiting areas are required by Code to have public washrooms (IE: not just reserved for the workers).
This isn't to say they are kept clean or even have signs pointing them out. They should, but some don't.

Old 04-14-2019, 08:50 PM
DPK

Quote:
Were they calling out numbers, did they assign any? Or did they just take the next person in line?
Everyone's assigned a number (it's on a printed receipt they give you) when you first go up to the front desk, before you sit down in the waiting area. When your number is called it flashes on a big digital screen and is announced overhead akin to "D123 please report to station 7". Numbers are called in order so as long as you paid attention to who was in front of you, it's pretty easy to tell when you're about to be called up.

Old 04-16-2019, 06:54 AM

791 posts, read 369,187 times
My wife and I went to Avent Ferry on Monday, the 8th.

Waited no more than 10 minutes to get called after standing in line to get a ticket for probably 5-10 before that.

Once at the station it took another 10 - 15 minutes or so, depending on who you get. My wife got called a minute before me and I was done a few minutes before her.

Got our licenses in the mail this past Monday, the 15th.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary