Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 09:21 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times

Advertisements

Someone posted this link on the General US board, and I thought it was pretty cool. You can click on any county in the US and find how many native-born residents live there. For the Triangle, it looks like this:

Wake County: 32% of adults were born in NC
Orange County: 34% of adults were born in NC
Durham County: 39% of adults were born in NC
Chatham County: 46% of adults were born in NC
Johnston County: 53% of adults were born in NC
Franklin County: 56% of adults were born in NC
Granville County: 62% of adults were born in NC

https://www.governing.com/gov-data/c...sjkRdRSh3mxf1U
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2019, 09:55 PM

3,318 posts, read 2,338,964 times
53.4% are from NC here in Lee County and 48.9% in Harnett County.

I'm surprised Wake is as high as it is. I would have expected it to be around 25%.

Washington County appears to have the highest percentage of Native North Carolinians at 80.7%, while Currituck is the lowest at 20.6%.

Old 04-15-2019, 04:38 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,929,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post

I'm surprised Wake is as high as it is. I would have expected it to be around 25%.
A lot of people moved to Wake County from rural counties years ago. Still are as far as I know.

Old 04-15-2019, 05:32 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Yes, I know plenty of NC natives, but I would say most of them are not from Wake County. Know a lot from points east.

Old 04-15-2019, 07:21 AM

6,379 posts, read 5,494,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
53.4% are from NC here in Lee County and 48.9% in Harnett County.

Washington County appears to have the highest percentage of Native North Carolinians at 80.7%, while Currituck is the lowest at 20.6%.
It is probably under 25% of people who were born/grew up in Wake County....but don't underestimate the large segment of the population in the Triangle that grew up in other areas of NC and moved here for school and/or work and stayed for a while because it is generally the most prosperous area of the state. UNC and NC State each bring thousands of new students in from other parts of the state every year. Many stick around after graduation with jobs found locally.

Also there are quite a few people like me....BORN elsewhere but moved here as an infant/small child and grew up here.

Last edited by TarHeelNick; 04-15-2019 at 07:54 AM..

Old 04-15-2019, 07:41 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,772,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
It is probably under 25% of people who were born/grew up in Wake County....but don't underestimate the large segment of the population in the Triangle that grew up in other areas of NC and moved here for school and/or work and stayed for a while because it is generally the most prosperous area of the state. UNC and NC State both brings thousands of new students in from other parts of the state every year. Many stick around after graduation with jobs found locally.
This is me. Came for college 30-some years ago, with all intentions of moving back to the Triad. By the time I graduated, it was clear that the Triangle was a much better place to try to have a career. It's funny, W-S and Raleigh were very similar in size when I moved here, but W-S grew at a snails pace, while Raleigh exploded.

Old 04-15-2019, 09:11 AM

As transplant heavy as many think this area is, I just took a look at the map for Northern Virginia (outside DC). Many of the counties there have only 11% native born Virginians! It truly was a diverse mix of people when I lived there. In contrast, the counties outside of Philly where I grew up all had in the 50s-60s% of native Pennsylvanians living there. Pennsylvania is definitely a homegrown state.

ETA: I think it would be hard to do the data at the county level, as many people aren't even born in the county that they live in, which would mess with the data, and I'm not sure they even keep track of where people actually live as opposed to the hospital they were born in.

Old 04-15-2019, 09:16 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
As transplant heavy as many think this area is, I just took a look at the map for Northern Virginia (outside DC). Many of the counties there have only 11% native born Virginians! It truly was a diverse mix of people when I lived there. In contrast, the counties outside of Philly where I grew up all had in the 50s-60s% of native Pennsylvanians living there. Pennsylvania is definitely a homegrown state.

ETA: I think it would be hard to do the data at the county level, as many people aren't even born in the county that they live in, which would mess with the data, and I'm not sure they even keep track of where people actually live as opposed to the hospital they were born in.
When talking to some locals outside Philly, what was amazing to me was how many hadn't even left a 50 mile radius of their home....ever.

Old 04-15-2019, 10:08 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
I'm a native, not to Orange County, but to NC for more generations than I care to count at the moment (pre-1776).

But I never felt the need to stay in my hometown. I don't really know many folks who felt like they were supposed to, but do know some who did because that's where they were comfortable. I happen to know a lot of Chapel Hill natives living here on this edge of the Triangle.

Cool link. Thanks for posting.

Last edited by poppydog; 04-15-2019 at 10:38 AM..

Old 04-15-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
When talking to some locals outside Philly, what was amazing to me was how many hadn't even left a 50 mile radius of their home....ever.
Oh yes, it is very true. My parents are New Yorkers who moved to Philly for a job opportunity, so we felt a bit like the "odd man" out. Growing up there, there were many extended families in my high school and also many second and third generation students. Off the top of my head, I can think of 3 kids in my grade who had cousins in the same grade with me. My best friend and her first cousins all went to the same school, too. There were a ton more.

Part of it might be explained by the ethnicities of the population. There were a lot of Greeks and Italians in my town, and they are family oriented. They also often went into business together or a son would take over dad's business, so they stayed around. My sister raised her kids in the Philly area, and she said at sporting events, not just parents, but grandparents, and sometimes other relatives (for bigger games) would come to watch for many of the kids. And of course everyone knows each other (even if not related) or their parents grew up together, etc.

And that was the Philly burbs. I imagine Central PA and the rest of Pennsylvania are even less transient. In many ways it is very nice, although is probably more difficult for newcomers. It's quite a different feel than living in a transplant-heavy area, that's for sure. Each has its pros and cons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary