Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 06:32 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,868,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Loud View Post
No, never had a problem.
Depends on the location, time of day, time of year.

On one of my first trips to Wrightsville I almost turned around and went home after driving around for over an hour looking for a spot. In the summer I always see long lines of cars trying to get into a small parking lot wishfully waiting for people to leave, and there's as many in line as there are parking spots.

Again, YMMV, let's see what the OP experiences.
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I really don't think there's that much difference between Wrightsville, Carolina, and Topsail time-wise when you factor in driving around for a parking spot. Google tells me it's 131 miles from downtown Raleigh to Wrightsville Beach and 132 miles from downtown Raleigh to Surf City on Topsail Island.
It might be a factor of where I am driving from, every time I went to Topsail it was >= 20 minutes longer. It is possible I was going to North Topsail, judging by the cams, there are a few different spots there. I'll look it up.

Edit: The times I went I was in the area of Buddy's Crab House, I think that may be more of Surf City.

I have yet to get to CB, am keen to see it and check the boardwalk.

Last edited by Repatriot; 04-21-2019 at 07:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2019, 08:21 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
But if you're driving around for an hour at Wrightsville Beach, then Topsail is probably going to be a shorter endeavor! I haven't been to Wrightsville in summer in awhile, but didn't have a problem at Carolina Beach. Probably depends on what day of the week and what time of day, too.

Old 04-21-2019, 08:24 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
So what's the best day-trip beach from the Triangle if you factor in parking issues, parking cost, etc?

Topsail?

Old 04-21-2019, 08:43 PM

I think it depends on the season, day of the week and the time of day, you plan to arrive.

Off season any of them is fine.

In summer, Topsail is probably not great on Saturday when the weekly rentals turn over. Sunday and weekdays should be fine, though.

Carolina Beach was fine for me on Friday in summer arriving around mid-day.

Kure Beach and Fort Fisher are also in the same time range as the others.

Old 04-21-2019, 10:53 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,872,623 times
Eh I think people are over blowing the mountains to beach as a selling point thing. It's not saying that the triangle isn't interesting or that it doesn't have things to do. Some of you guys simply aren't taking into account there is a goooooooooooooooooood chunk of the country who are no where near the mountains or a beach, and that for many people taking such trips is something they have to plan way in advance. Though I don't do it all the time, there are many days I wake up on a weekend, call my friends and say, hey lets hit the beach, and we go with no real prep time. And there are many people in other states and cities who can't just randomly up and jump and go to a beach just cause they were in the mood to go.

When you hit up, Kure Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Carolina Beach, Fort Fisher, Myrtle Beach, Folly Beach etc etc and you see license plates from all over then it's understandable why a 2 hour trip vs a 10+ hour trip would appeal to them.

And at the same time It's understandable why they don't just move to xyz beach/mountain town as in many cases, xyz vacation spot may not be the best place to actually live.

Plus there are many many reasons why the triangle is a good place.

Growing Food Scene

From Nashville Style Hot Chicken
To Korean Fried Chicken

and korean fried rice

to a taste of Zimbabwe

to Bulgogi Nachos

to delicious fish tacos

to one of the best damn vegan burgers I have ever had

To Miles

and miles

and miles

and more miles of biking greenway trails

to kayaking, the neuse, or the eno or the haw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZEl0gvrc_A
To cultural events

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACIwrj6exa0
To a growing music scene all together with the most music venues in the state with all types of genres

Not saying Raleigh is just the best place but there is definitely things to do and explore outside of just having a good job and colleges and going home.

Old 04-22-2019, 05:32 AM

Awesome pictures, Drrck. Making me hungry just to look at them. Where was the vegan burger? My vegetarian 15 yr would love that.

Old 04-22-2019, 05:52 AM

1,545 posts, read 1,872,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Awesome pictures, Drrck. Making me hungry just to look at them. Where was the vegan burger? My vegetarian 15 yr would love that.
Fiction Kitchen, I went vegan for 8 months(had only planned on two more so to just detox but found there were plenty of good vegan meals to keep it going longer than I had planned) and honestly everything at that place is delicious. Half the people there aren't even vegan are vegetarian, the food is just good.......not cheap either lol but really good.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:51 AM

Oh yeah, I've heard great things about that place. Haven't had the pleasure yet, but maybe I will put it on my list of summer day trips (along with the beach).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary