Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 06:33 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWaveDad View Post
…...

I really think if you are bored here - you aren't trying. But maybe it's my perspective coming from the desert. Everyday I see green green green I feel alive here versus brown, dirty and dust...
Eee-Yup.

Not that some people wouldn't prefer to live elsewhere, but some people just like to carry recessive genetic "I'm Bored and I like to Whine about It" disorder wherever they go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ohzrd View Post
Guess the glass is half empty?
I'm guessing it is a sippy cup.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 04-16-2019 at 06:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2019, 06:39 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,484,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriftinthebay View Post
OP here, it's true I don't live in the Triangle -- passed through Durham once. I've only visited the beautiful western portion of the state and coastal areas. I often wonder how the lemming effect got started in such a middle of the road area instead of parts of the state that are interesting.
I lived in Western NC (Hickory) for 14 years, and now I've been in the Raleigh area for 14 years. I MUCH prefer the Triangle. There are more reasons to live in a place than topography.

I find the Triangle to offer both the natural beauty AND convenience.

Old 04-16-2019, 07:08 AM

748 posts, read 1,375,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueheronNC View Post
...none of which can be made in those drive times on weekends. And once you get to your destination, it's still bumper-to-bumper. People vaping up Muir Woods and trampling over every vista, dune, or promontory.

Out here, I can find a forest, mountaintop, blackwater river, stretch of sand or barrier island all to myself.

Hmmmm I was just out there and went to the wine country on a Saturday and it was easy peasy. Beach was no different. I guess it is also a state of mind. Its beautiful country so if it takes a little longer, we dont really mind.

Old 04-16-2019, 07:40 AM

805 posts, read 523,453 times
It’s all relative to what you’ve experienced and what you’re looking for. I’ve lived in the NE where the cities are bigger with seemingly unlimited options for things to do. It took me forever to drive to the airport and those area lacked natural beauty in the daily commute (views of the Schuylkill River?). Gray upon gray for 5 months of the year.

I’ve also lived in South Florida, where it is all beauty and hours and hours from anything else. Unless you are a super wealthy retiree, it’s a limited scene for culture and entertainment.

For me, Raleigh is the perfect balance. I’m surrounded by beauty, even on my 10 min drive to the airport (Lake Crabtree!). And there is plenty available right here for a full, cultured, active life at every age.

But those Gulf Coast beaches win. No contest there.

Old 04-16-2019, 08:45 AM

4,266 posts, read 11,418,220 times
Quote:
OP here, it's true I don't live in the Triangle -- passed through Durham once. I've only visited the beautiful western portion of the state and coastal areas. I often wonder how the lemming effect got started in such a middle of the road area instead of parts of the state that are interesting.
Care to share where you live so we may give you our opinions on where you chose to settle?

Old 04-16-2019, 08:52 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
So you concluded with your one pass-through, which was not even to the main city in the area, that the entire area is "middle of the road"?

Kinda kills your credibility, don't you think? Hell, I went to Mount Fuji once, it was a "low-cloud" kind of day. I guess by your standards, I should say that all of Japan is a bust?

Honestly, I don't know why I'm responding. (Yet here I am)

Old 04-16-2019, 09:18 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,619,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Why not Virginia Beach? They are crowded, lots of high rise hotels, and overly commercial for my taste. VA Beach also has a major naval air base nearby, Oceana, and a lot of jet noise.
To be completely fair, there are many beaches in Virginia Beach. The casual beachgoer wouldn't be as aware, but someone who is a true water and beach lover would know this with some quick and easy research. You're talking about The Oceanfront, which is the largest beach here and the major tourist attraction. I get the turn off, though I will say as a local, the entire Strip (local name for Oceanfront) offers more than touring the actual beach and is pleasant to take advantage of during offseason...

It's beginning to pick up in tourist activity, but the sweet spot for The Strip is right now, when the weather breaks in March and April (besides Spring Break week!)...

There's Sandbridge, Willoughby Spit, Chic's Beach, Oceanview, Croatan, and that's just on the southside of the Bay...

Quality is subject to preference, so I respect that you prefer the quality of NC beaches. But the quantity of beaches here is difficult to beat, and they all offer a little something unique...

All that said, on topic, I'm not nor have I ever been a beach guy. Seen one, seen em all, not a mountain guy, either. I'm not a nature enthusiast so I wouldn't move anywhere because it's close to a natural destination, but I enjoy nature in the form of parks and trails. If I wanted the beach or mountains, if just move there (like Virginia Beach if the beach is what I wanted, but I didn't move here for that)...

Count me in to the crowd who sees the "close to beaches and mountains" as inconsequential. Raleigh's real draw is in a variety of other areas and neither of those would be near the top if the list of tell people to move here!

Old 04-16-2019, 10:02 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
I've lived here 13 years now - been to "the beach" twice, and "the mountains" once or twice. Mostly because I hate to drive, and to me 3-4 hours is definitely not day trip territory. I'd love to move somewhere else but my job is keeping here for now.

Old 04-16-2019, 10:18 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
The Hound will deliver you from Raleigh to Asheville for as <$80 RT rack rate.
And, in and out of Wilmington for <$55.

https://www.greyhound.com/en/ecommerce/schedule

Old 04-16-2019, 10:18 AM

257 posts, read 222,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
Care to share where you live so we may give you our opinions on where you chose to settle?
I'm choosing to move to Richmond, Virginia over Raleigh. Bash all you want, I'm a river enthusiast, but I like how Raleigh has a slightly bigger job economy -- hence the thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary