Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2019, 01:52 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times

Advertisements

I live in unincorporated Wake County.

Everytime it rains, my neighbor gets water in his basement, and he pumps it out using some kind of transfer/agricultural pump and garden hoses ran out the middle of the yard right to my fenceline. Now, he is running it downgrade, and I understand that my lot is lower than his and it will be wetter. And I certainly can't begrudge him pumping his basement dry. But I'm tired of the standing water that exists days after a rain. The first time we confronted them they dismissed us and said, "You're kids so you don't understand..."

The second time I knocked on his door and he agreed to move them and he did, directed him back to the center/back of the yard. I don't know if the guy behind him complained or it didn't work as well. This spring he has moved the hoses back to our fenceline. And the stream and pond has returned.

I get the idea that his pumps struggle to move the water up an incline and that's why he puts the hoses where he does.

Does anyone know what they county regs are on this? Someone said that he's supposed to pump it towards the road (which he's downhill of, though it does have a drainage culvert) but I can't find that.

I'm mad enough about it that I'm half inclined to have two dump trucks of fill brought back and regrade my yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2019, 01:57 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,274,997 times
Not trying to be a smartass, but it's water that would end up in your yard anyway right?

Tons and tons of people are having drainage issues this year. So much rain....it'll eventually get better.

Old 04-16-2019, 02:06 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Not trying to be a smartass, but it's water that would end up in your yard anyway right?

Tons and tons of people are having drainage issues this year. So much rain....it'll eventually get better.
Its the difference between his tree naturally dropping half its leaves in my yard, and him blowing them into my yard.

Water directed in a concentrated flow against starting right against my fence, directed over my septic drain field, vs water absorbed in part by his/my yard, allowed to disburse naturally before arriving on my property line.

And, if he directed it to the culvert/ditch, it wouldn't come into my yard at all.

He's done this for years. Since the original owner's husband passed away according to neighbors, before the house was vacant/rented/owned by a flipper in the ensuing years. No one has been in a position to tell him to mind his manners til now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary