Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 07:27 PM

115 posts, read 325,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpTheCreek View Post
I grew up in Doylestown, PA, just north of Philly. Of course, we had a local WAWA as far back as I remember, I am 55 now. It was a small, 7-11 sized store, not a big gas station like they are now. Back then, and it still holds true, WAWA was not the go-to place to get a good hoagie. My family were always big hoagie and cheesesteak aficionados. WAWA makes a fairly pedestrian hoagie but it’s great when you’re away from southeast PA and can only find a WAWA. We lived in New Bern for 12 years and when traveling back down, we’d stop at the last WAWA in Virginia and bring a half dozen hoagies home to NC.

Living in NC for so long, I am quite familiar with Sheetz and they’re pretty good! The only reason someone would say WAWA is better is because they have hoagies and Tasty Cake stuff, both Philly staples. And that’s only better because you may happen to be from Philly! I have my favorite Tasty Cakes but I’ve got news for you, if you didn’t grow up on them, they really aren’t great.

I live in Maine now and often have the craving for some Waffle House hash browns. Scattered, smothered, covered and peppered! Double! Mmmm mmmm, yeah baby! I very much doubt we’ll ever get a Waffle House here though! I don’t really want one either. Gives me something to look forward to, just as I look forward to a real hoagie when visiting Philly. But I can’t recreate Waffle House hash browns. I’ve tried, trust me.

I don’t want to bring my hometown with me when I move to other locations. If you want a decent hoagie, make it yourself. You can even order Amaroso rolls online and find a deli to get the meats. That’s what I do and cheesesteaks are even easier. I even have birch beer delivered once in a while. What I don’t do is whine to the locals about something they couldn’t care less about. When in Rome kind of deal. I’ll just go eat a lobster on the cheap. Better than a hoagie anyway!
You freeze your ass off for 8 months of the year just to eat lobster on the cheap? And dream of Waffle House? 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2019, 08:27 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,872,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I can't imagine getting a sub at a gas station versus Jersey Mike's, but to each their own.

Back in college, sheetz was a life saver lol. 2 dollar 6 inch subs 4 dollar footlongs, not the best but definitely decent subs. Now they have different choices of breads and premium meats. Also gas stations in general can't be underestimated. The gas station near my dad's neighborhood right outside of Fayetteville in Linden has some delicious damn chicken, steak egg and cheese, fried fish sandwiches, burgers etc.

Old 04-20-2019, 08:32 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,872,623 times
Maybe it was the particular wawa I went too but I think sheetz is better, been to wawa in both Richmond VA and when I was in Williamsburg and definitely thought sheetz was better.

That said wouldn't be surprised one make it over here eventually.

Old 04-20-2019, 09:12 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,164,607 times
<grouch alert> Truthfully, been to both and don't care. Why did you move here if a Northern-based convenience store/gas station is so important? I'm weary of the homogenization. Every Southern town is starting to look like a Northern town. Do we have to have every chain here?

Old 04-21-2019, 04:46 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
This is going in the direction of a pizza thread....
Sheetz has better pizza than WaWa?

Who knew?

Old 04-21-2019, 06:26 AM

703 posts, read 779,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonoma818 View Post
Those of us from Pennsylvania know that Wawa is much better than Sheetz.
Don't generalize. I'm from Pa., and I don't agree with you.

Old 04-21-2019, 07:00 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,676,321 times
Co-workers talked about Sheetz before any showed up in the area. Needed gas one time in Virginia so we stopped at one and gave the subs a try while there. Pleasantly surprise and would not hesitate to stop at one during our travels to get some food on the go. However, we have enough gas stations/sub shops. Let's get a White Castle down here!

Old 04-21-2019, 08:32 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,266,348 times
I've been to Sheetz once in four years and I got the sheetz. Seriously...it wasn't a good experience lol

Old 04-21-2019, 09:44 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,277,957 times
I've never had a decent food experience at Sheetz. It's straight up microwave gas station food. I'm not saying WaWa is the end all be all, but their food there is better than Sheetz IMO.

Old 04-21-2019, 10:10 AM

3,661 posts, read 3,936,259 times
For all you Northern Yanks who aren't very familiar with Publix grocery stores...

They are known for their good subs and fried chicken in the deli.

Here in Midtown Atlanta at lunchtime the line for the subs counter extends almost out the front entrance.

I like the fried chicken 2-piece meal with collards, homemade mac'n'cheese & roll for $5.69.

Beginning in Charlotte and on Southward, it's QuikTrip territory. New stores are pretty deluxe, but Atlanta's are small and are 25 years old. I eat way too much of their pizza which is 2 slices for $4 bucks, but the food is pretty lowbrow, and prices are quite high.

What's the name of the other c-store in the Mid-Atlantic and NY/NJ that ends with "farms"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary