Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 04:13 PM

1,737 posts, read 2,573,818 times

Advertisements

Many people like it here, hence the large population influx.

It just sounds like this is not the place for you.
Spend the extra bucks for Naperville and peace of mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2019, 04:13 PM

1,257 posts, read 1,185,026 times
I don’t think Raleigh is an unsafe place to live. I’m not sure how to convince you otherwise, since your chosen crime map also shows Cary as a dangerous area.

Old 04-21-2019, 04:15 PM

505 posts, read 584,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farebluenc View Post
I don’t think Raleigh is an unsafe place to live. I’m not sure how to convince you otherwise, since your chosen crime map also shows Cary as a dangerous area.
What are accurate crime maps? I'm showing what I'm finding for Wake Forrest, not Cary. Are they liars? That's why I'm posting. No need for sarcasm. Just trying to get honest answers.

Last edited by WildSpark; 04-21-2019 at 04:25 PM..

Old 04-21-2019, 04:17 PM

505 posts, read 584,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
Many people like it here, hence the large population influx.

It just sounds like this is not the place for you.
Spend the extra bucks for Naperville and peace of mind.
Just said it's unaffordable, so I'm back to the drawing board. No need for sarcasm.

Old 04-21-2019, 04:38 PM

6,654 posts, read 5,589,525 times
There is a lot of petty crime here in certain neighborhoods, but certainly not a lot of violent crime. And if I had to pick one I would definitely pick petty crime over violent crime! Most of the stuff in my neighborhood has been people leaving their valuables in plain sight in their car or their cars unlocked. If you follow common sense to protecting your stuff and don't leave it out for thieves, you won't have a problem in Raleigh.

Old 04-21-2019, 05:01 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,274,529 times
The maps look like they give you a pretty good idea of where the crime concentrations are.

You could also look at spotcrime.com for recent crimes and sometimes links to reports, to do more independent research.

I came from a fairly urban area about 2 years ago and practice the common sense I learned there. Lock my doors, don't leave valuables in plain view, remain cognizant of my surroundings especially at night. I watch/read the local news and periodically read crime reports so I know what's going on, and where.

We tried it on for size and rented for a year and a half before we started house hunting. In that time, we learned more about the area by being here, not reading stats online, and confirmed this is where we want to be. You really can't get a feel for the area from these numbers. I understand wanting to do research before you make a move, we did too. I hung around this forum for 2 years and learned from it before we sold our last house and moved here. I'm not saying you should take that long, I'm saying there's a lot of good information here you can find.

Old 04-21-2019, 05:02 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,271,380 times
It depends on what you're used to. I can't speak for Raleigh, but even in Cary, there is far more crime than the northern suburbs I lived in prior. Vehicle break-ins and home break-ins are relatively frequent. Occasionally there is a home invasion where people are home and the invaders are armed. There's been are armed bank robberies occasionally.

Again, it comes down to what you're used to. This is a very dense area as a whole, which can give the illusion that there's more crime than there really is. For example, if you grew up in a town of 20k and now live in a town of 160k, you need to consider how much crime there was in your town and the 7 towns around it. Chances are you only focused on crime that was in your little bubble of 20k people.

All that being said, disregard any article you read saying "<insert Triangle town> is the safest place to live in America". Those articles are pure clickbait, with the sole purpose of generating clicks/revenue. There are definitely safer places to live, but the majority of the Triangle is safe enough for most people. Personally speaking, the crime is concerning enough to me that I think it shouldn't be ignored, but I wouldn't still live here if I felt it was overly unsafe.

Last edited by m378; 04-21-2019 at 05:11 PM..

Old 04-21-2019, 05:08 PM

1,257 posts, read 1,185,026 times
I looked at the Cary map for comparison and it had the same dark purple spots as the the Wake Forest map. I don’t know if it’s accurate, but I agree it’s more your perspective on what’s safe. It’s hard to get that vibe unless you live here.

Old 04-21-2019, 05:16 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,818,373 times
Yeah, I've lived here for 35 years and have never felt unsafe (I am a woman). I used to live smack dab in the middle of north Raleigh and would walk my dogs at 5:30 AM, never felt unsafe. Yes, there are pockets where there is more crime, the more you educate yourself, the better off you will be. We live in the country now on the Wake/Franklin County border and I still feel very safe. I didn't move because of the crime, but because of the traffic and density.

If you feel scared about moving here, don't.

Last edited by goldenlove; 04-21-2019 at 05:30 PM..

Old 04-21-2019, 05:41 PM

4,262 posts, read 4,713,041 times
Good grief. We've lived in Raleigh for 32 years and the only crime we've experienced is having change removed from our unlocked automobiles in the driveway. And that was our fault for not locking them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary