Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 10:45 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I haven't read the whole thread - but is this really about behavior or is this about what is and isn't appropriate to wear at a place of learning? Clothes are there for a reason - to cover the body. Otherwise everyone would just walk around naked in the summer.

If boys started showing up to school wearing yoga pants with their franks and beans showing, then I bet the policy would be modified to disallow yoga pants/tights. But that's never been an issue, and likely never will.
Where did you go to school? Even in the 80s, there were PLENTY of dudes in parachute pants and fairly tight/stretchy sweats when I was in HS. Those did not leave much to the imagination.

And, I do not recall any principals doing a booty check on those guys.

Old 04-26-2019, 04:49 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,271,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Where did you go to school? Even in the 80s, there were PLENTY of dudes in parachute pants and fairly tight/stretchy sweats when I was in HS. Those did not leave much to the imagination.

When I went to school kids were wearing Z-Cavariccis and baggy Champion sweatshirts so I'm not much help lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2019, 05:07 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post

Yes I saw my fair share of banana hammocks in high school...not so much in my school but guys just out and about. But you and I are about the same age RedZin.

Flip side of that is I don't remember any dress code issues with girls either, but back in the 1980s parents were not looking for any excuse to blame someone or something else for their kids' bad behavior.

Old 04-26-2019, 05:20 AM

I really don't think it's a distraction issue. Are there really parents blaming cleavage and camel toe for their kids crappy behavior?

IMO it's a respect thing. School is a place where kids should learn to respect others, especially adults. There are clothes that are inappropriate for a school environment, and maybe more females than males wear those types of clothes due to fashion trends. It's not targeting one sex versus the other, it's just the way it is.

Why do you think some private schools require uniforms? Because it prevents silly arguments about attire, and shows a level of respect.

Old 04-26-2019, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I really don't think it's a distraction issue. Are there really parents blaming cleavage and camel toe for their kids crappy behavior?

IMO it's a respect thing. School is a place where kids should learn to respect others, especially adults. There are clothes that are inappropriate for a school environment, and maybe more females than males wear those types of clothes due to fashion trends. It's not targeting one sex versus the other, it's just the way it is.

Why do you think some private schools require uniforms? Because it prevents silly arguments about attire, and shows a level of respect.
No private schools generally require uniforms because they find clothing that might otherwise be worn DISTRACTING and they also want all the kids to look the same. They don't want kids looking at/admiring/coveting brands and labels that other kids are wearing. This is the same reason many private schools place a limit on how much jewelry may be worn along with the type. Same with hair length for boys, the color that hair may be dyed, etc etc. And in private schools the dress code is the same and applied the same for boys and girls. My kid goes to Gibbons - for 9-11 grade the boys and girls wear the exact same thing - white golf/tennis shirt and khaki bottoms. This is the reason many public schools have gone to uniforms too.

And, yes, since you have not been following along with these stories that have been in the news, the reason that dress codes in public schools have been in place has been because certain clothing items have been deemed too distracting. And it is - as you also pointed out - almost exclusively aimed at girls and the fact that it might distract boys. Sorry, but I'm ok with the days of boys harassing girls and being disruptive because of what they are wearing coming to an end. Control yourself. It's not too much to ask.

Now, for me personally, I think that everyone should have some self respect in what they wear and that's a different issue. It's about the person themselves, not how others will react to them. My daughter wears very short shorts to school, and I would not have had the confidence to do that at the same age. But for her it's about her comfort and not how other people are looking at her (and they aren't tight - they are athletic shorts, they are just very short). So it's ok with me. Her tops are always very modest.

Old 04-26-2019, 05:56 AM

I'm sorry but I just don't buy the "it's about comfort" thing. It's about fashion trends. Teenagers want to wear what everyone else is wearing, and what their favorite Instagram influencers are wearing.

If short shorts are in style, then I see nothing wrong with schools making rules to make sure they're appropriate for a school environment. Just because short shorts aren't in style for boys, doesn't mean the rules are solely targeting girls.

I'm all for uniforms even in public schools.

Old 04-26-2019, 06:35 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,929,869 times
When I was in high school guys wore long pants...no jeans or shorts. No slacks, shorts or jeans for girls...dresses only. Those dresses got shorter and shorter in the late 60's, and when the girls sat in those old school desks they really got short I honestly never would figure why they allowed it. It got a lot of attention from the guys.

Old 04-26-2019, 07:18 AM

6,824 posts, read 9,059,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
No private schools generally require uniforms because they find clothing that might otherwise be worn DISTRACTING and they also want all the kids to look the same. They don't want kids looking at/admiring/coveting brands and labels that other kids are wearing. This is the same reason many private schools place a limit on how much jewelry may be worn along with the type. Same with hair length for boys, the color that hair may be dyed, etc etc. And in private schools the dress code is the same and applied the same for boys and girls. My kid goes to Gibbons - for 9-11 grade the boys and girls wear the exact same thing - white golf/tennis shirt and khaki bottoms. This is the reason many public schools have gone to uniforms too.

And, yes, since you have not been following along with these stories that have been in the news, the reason that dress codes in public schools have been in place has been because certain clothing items have been deemed too distracting. And it is - as you also pointed out - almost exclusively aimed at girls and the fact that it might distract boys. Sorry, but I'm ok with the days of boys harassing girls and being disruptive because of what they are wearing coming to an end. Control yourself. It's not too much to ask.

Now, for me personally, I think that everyone should have some self respect in what they wear and that's a different issue. It's about the person themselves, not how others will react to them. My daughter wears very short shorts to school, and I would not have had the confidence to do that at the same age. But for her it's about her comfort and not how other people are looking at her (and they aren't tight - they are athletic shorts, they are just very short). So it's ok with me. Her tops are always very modest.
Would your daughter wear short shorts to her first job interview? Her first day on the job? I believe very strongly that women/girls have the right to wear what they want. But I can't help it if I notice those clothing choices.

Old 04-26-2019, 07:26 AM

159 posts, read 287,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickandiron View Post
You think this is because the girls aren’t wearing enough clothing?

The girls are not causing the boys to act out in sexually inappropriate ways. The girls are not responsible for the behavior of boys.
I honestly think it's because they're going into rut, and haven't been trained to act appropriately by their parents.

When I grew up we had both sexes wearing tight jeans, but there was a sense of shaming taking place when someone went too far. Although we had the tube top era, which I still remember for some odd reason

Dave

Old 04-26-2019, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Would your daughter wear short shorts to her first job interview? Her first day on the job? I believe very strongly that women/girls have the right to wear what they want. But I can't help it if I notice those clothing choices.
Do you expect her to go to school in a business suit? Your analogy makes no sense. Why aren't you asking the same thing about what boys are wearing to school? If they show up in athletic shorts and sweats, instead of a business suit, why is that ok? Or even business casual Dockers and a collared button down shirt. The arguments here are simply mind boggling. Not to mention outright stupid.

And yes, my daughter is dressing with the fashion trends, but up until this year she wore basketball shorts to school every day, unfortunately it's impossible now to find ones in that style that aren't short, unless she buys boys' shorts and they don't fit right. And frankly there is nothing wrong with wanting to look nice and she shouldn't have to wear basketball shorts unless she is actually, ya know, playing basketball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: