Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 03:40 PM

3,050 posts, read 4,976,239 times

Advertisements

Take a look at South Lakes, it's on the east side of FV so should be an easy commute. That side of FV is also very convenient to downtown Raleigh, about 20 minutes off peak. Pretty sure the middle school is traditional calendar and the HS definitely is. Walking distance to the new Willow Spring HS which opens in August.

Tons of grocery stores, a new Harris Teeter just opened in the old Kroger location and a Wegmans is being built on the border of Holly Springs and FV.

For shopping you have Kohls, Walmart, Home Depot, Big Lots but for Target you might be 10-20 minutes away.

If not FV then you could look up around Lake Wheeler. Closer to Raleigh and lots of established neighborhoods with bigger lots. Check out Enchanted Oaks and surrounding neighborhoods.

If you are prepared to compromise a little on the house, you can definitely sneak into Cary, look at neighborhoods around Park Village or Arlington Ridge.

Something like this:
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-33460?view=qv

Last edited by SaucyAussie; 04-25-2019 at 03:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2019, 09:37 PM

70 posts, read 140,564 times
https://swake.org/

This school may be an option for your child with dyslexia. Moving and starting a new school may be more difficult for him than you realize. Message me if you like with any specific questions. Moved to FV six years ago.

Old 04-25-2019, 10:00 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,481,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
There are no middle schools that offer AP classes (are there anywhere? AP are college level classes. Perhaps you meant AIG or honors).
The College Board does not allow neither AP nor Pre-AP classes to be offered in middle school -- except for foreign language; a few middle schools offer, say, AP Spanish primarily to native-speaker students.

Old 04-25-2019, 10:06 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,166,251 times
All of the schools offer AIG classes in language and math. I wouldn’t count on being able to transfer out of any schools, especially if you’re zoned for schools in Fuquay Varina. The magnet schools have a weighted lottery based on diversity.

Old 04-26-2019, 01:20 AM

5 posts, read 7,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
The College Board does not allow neither AP nor Pre-AP classes to be offered in middle school -- except for foreign language; a few middle schools offer, say, AP Spanish primarily to native-speaker students.
My daughter currently takes AP Language Arts, Social Studies, and Math in 6th grade and was also recommended for AP science as well but we felt it was too much her first year in jr high (she has been recommended for all AP next year, thus why I was asking if it’s offered there). I also took AP classes in jr high in same school district she’s in, over 35 years ago, therefore I don’t hardly think they are doing anything illegal. They can take the classes (upon recommendation of previous years teachers) but cannot take the tests to get college credits until 9th grade. Her AP teacher’s only teach AP courses. At this point, it is preparing them for what’s ahead. We can’t attach pictures or I’d attach a screen shot of her school schedule which shows AP classes. It’s after 1:00am here and she’s still up reading/studying after training in the gym for 4 hours - it’s definitely not for everyone but she needs the challenge or she gets bored.

Do any of the high schools there offer dual credits (not AP) with a local college? She was planning on going that route here for high school.

Old 04-26-2019, 01:48 AM

It sounds like your daughter might benefit from a GT/AIG magnet school like Ligon, but given that the magnet application period happened in February, the only way you could get in is by moving into the base zone near downtown Raleigh.

Wake County does have some early college programs that might suit her needs in high school. They are application schools as well, so she wouldn’t be able to attend in the fall.

https://www.wcpss.net/Page/27372

Are pre-AP classes different than AP classes? That’s what came up when I googled AP classes in sixth grade.

Old 04-26-2019, 07:25 AM

43,010 posts, read 76,500,303 times
House:

>4 bedrooms plus bonus, between 2500 to 3200 sq ft.
>House under 10 years old.
>Larger yard with no rear neighbors and I don’t want to be able to reach out and touch the house next door.
>New construction is OK if the houses aren’t piles on top of each other and will be finished soon but after reading a lot about issues with builders, I’m hesitant to buy new construction without being there.
>I’m unable to climb stairs sometimes with bad knees and we’re struggling to find either a larger 1 story or at least a home with 2 bedrooms downstairs, especially new construction plans.

>We’re ok with a commute under 40 miles but prefer for him to be closer to work (just east of Fuquay Varina) - he commuted 90 miles each way in CA and we’d like to avoid it if possible.

Unfortunately and frankly, you will probably compromise on something in the list.
Lot size and privacy will be difficult.

Old 04-26-2019, 08:03 AM

12,798 posts, read 16,204,868 times
Per the link paytonc posted, The College Board, who administers the Advanced Placement tests, pretty clearly says that middle school classes, with the exception of world languages, are not authorized to be called AP.

https://apcentral.collegeboard.org/c...ddle-school-ap
Quote:
Can courses offered in middle school be labeled AP?

The AP designation may only be applied to courses offered at or above the ninth-grade level that have received authorization through the annual AP Course Audit process. The AP label cannot be affixed to courses and transcripts earlier than ninth grade. There is one exception to this policy: AP world language and culture courses. These courses focus on linguistic proficiency and cultural competency, so in rare situations these courses can be successfully offered earlier than ninth grade among students who can already speak, read, and write the language with fluency. In summary, the AP Course Audit will only renew or authorize courses that are offered exclusively in grades 9–12, with the exception of AP world language and culture courses.
So maybe they use the designation "AP" to mean something else? Because it's not "Advanced Placement" which is trademarked.

Old 05-03-2019, 01:22 PM

5 posts, read 7,645 times
Nope, they are definitely Advanced Placement classes. Run a google search for “AP classes in middle school” - the school district sites that come up are within TX (Mckenney comes up first, it’s in Dallas which is 4 hours from me), so obviously it is allowed here. I actually had never heard of a district NOT offering it in jr high, as most districts do here in Tx. As mentioned, I took them myself, eventually taking the tests. I graduated from high school and immediately went into my jr year of college, then onto get my doctorate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Per the link paytonc posted, The College Board, who administers the Advanced Placement tests, pretty clearly says that middle school classes, with the exception of world languages, are not authorized to be called AP.

https://apcentral.collegeboard.org/c...ddle-school-ap

So maybe they use the designation "AP" to mean something else? Because it's not "Advanced Placement" which is trademarked.

Old 05-03-2019, 06:09 PM

The McKinney School District lists them as Pre-AP classes.

https://www.mckinneyisd.net/curricul...ced-placement/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary