Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 08:49 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,540,278 times

Advertisements

I wish that Early College was around when I was in high school at Enloe (or middle at Ligon). We did have NCSU professors do dual-credit classes on campus -- differential equations was the one I remember. I also took evening and summer classes at State, but didn't get high school credit for them.

Other magnet/charter programs of interest include the middle schools at Centennial Campus and Exploris. But all of these specialized programs tend to be closer to downtown Raleigh; I did have some classmates from Fuquay, but wow that was a long trek for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2019, 09:15 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,596,747 times
I honestly do think you are speaking about Pre-AP classes, We moved here from Texas and the first truly AP class that you can take there is AP World Geography in 9th grade.
Which ISD are you coming from? I ask to give you an idea how it might match up with schools in Wake County.

Old 05-05-2019, 03:03 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,821,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLeeR1 View Post
Thanks for the info - very helpful. My daughter is currently in AP classes in 6th grade - all the schools around here offer AP in jr high. I’m assuming they offer some kind of GT program there at least.
They might call them "AP", but as said above, this is college level coursework (Advanced Placement) that would require years of previous study to even get to the level of a "regular" version. What is she supposed to do the rest of her years in school if she takes AP when she's 12?? We have the NC School of Math & Science for exception STEM students, but that's a (boarding) high school.

Quote:
My daughter currently takes AP Language Arts, Social Studies
"Language Arts" is specifically an elementary/middle school term. In high school, they would call it "English" or "Composition" or "Literature" or "Journalism". Ditto with Social Studies--the AP tests would be US History, World History, Geography, etc. Not "AP Social Studies".

Wake county (the whole county is one school system) has a huge variety of "types" of high schools focused on different specializations. Others can better describe the sometimes frustrating process of picking a school only to have the districting change, and it's the areas of newer construction where that happens the MOST (because influxes of new students are what necessitate shifting around the school populations).

Have you looked through the Wake County Public Schools website? That is the "horse's mouth" on school issues.

Old 05-10-2019, 01:08 PM

81 posts, read 86,690 times
What's your price point? I have a gorgeous, newer house on a nice lot in a very kid-friendly neighborhood that I'm trying to sell.

Old 05-14-2019, 02:35 PM

70 posts, read 141,528 times
https://carolina.teamcfa.school/about/school-profile/
This new charter school is scheduled to open in the fall in Fuquay near the Harnett County line. You should consider it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary