Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 10:24 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,812,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ippi76 View Post
Green almost all year and no droughts so far
In the past 20 years, Raleigh has had two droughts "of note":

2002, which was pretty bad and made me permanently change my showering habits, and we bought rain barrels

2007, which was really, SCARY bad and they were announcing the number of days of water left (although they also admitted that by far, most of the water used was commercial/irrigation and consumers could only stem the tide so much.

I've actually been surprised there haven't been even any "small droughts" since then, with climate change. But it's not like California as far as having to worry every single year about drought and definitely not wildfires, thank God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2019, 07:18 AM

205 posts, read 182,432 times
Climate change seems to be bringing more and more precipitation to our area and precipitation amounts are expected to continue to increase based on current emission volume. At the same time higher temps will end up causing shorter but more severe natural droughts. Going to be an interesting 21st century here in NC.

Old 07-13-2019, 06:36 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,965,547 times
Droughts will happen again. Seems to be a certain type of La Nina year usually.

There was talk of building another large reservoir in Wake County in addition to Jordan and Falls Lake. They began drawing water from Lake Benson/Lake Wheeler again to top off the city's reserves. But we've had wet years ever since then so it hasn't come up again.

Old 08-08-2019, 07:37 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,934,325 times
Everyone seems to have short memories.

Trying to assess long term climate shifts over a ten year period is silly.

People act like the current economy is permanent, lots of loosening lending policies, and for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction, meaning when this boom fades there will be a long lackluster period.

Raleigh had to modify pumps to extract water from the bottom sediment of reservoirs just 11 years ago.

You need to be prepared for both extremes of precipitation.

I have been in NC for a month visiting family and will hate leaving such a magnificent state that has it's act together.

I've said it many times, but NC is a top-tier state in the league with NY, FL and California.

The rest of the Southeast including Georgia is downright primitive compared to NC.

The tall buildings of Atlanta and big city action comes along with a big tradeoff of being in such a primitive state. The DOT is currently in a small widening project of I-85 through Gwinnett County and all the new overehead highway signs are mounted crooked. NC's prowess regarding highways make you proud to live in or be a native of NC, and Atlanta's highways make you embarrassed for living there.

Old 08-08-2019, 08:40 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,571,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post

I've said it many times, but NC is a top-tier state in the league with NY, FL and California.
If you are not being sarcastic, please tell me what makes a "top-tier" state.

Old 08-14-2019, 01:37 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,934,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
I'll respond more later about NC's strong consumer protections, planning for future prosperity for all 100 counties, advanced government agencies with good checks & balances, stewardship of the state & it's natural resources....

On par with the best any other state can do,

Here are NCDOT's impressive stats: accomplished with only $5-6 billion a year. (FL spends $13B a year)

FACTS by Stephen Edwards, on Flickr

Old 08-14-2019, 10:39 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,536,932 times
I should ask my parents, who moved from LA in the 1970s...

Anyhow, on the long-term water availability question: if Virginia Beach can slurp on the Roanoke River from 100+ miles away, it's much easier for the Triangle to build a 40-mile straw.
https://www.wral.com/news/local/story/2574842/

Old 08-25-2019, 07:21 PM

52 posts, read 92,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
We relocated from the North Shore of Long Island twelve years ago, where arguably some of the best school districts in the country are located. At the time we had one son going into Middle School and another going into the second grade. I can state now with a high degree of confidence that no matter what anyone else tells you, the schools are very good.

There are likely fewer programs available due to the funding model being so different, but the quality of the educators is at least as good as what we knew previously and their commitment to the community much deeper than on Long Island. Where you live will determine the level of engagement as well; schools in communities where education is both valued and pursued tend to do better and have a higher rate of achievement (because the families support that). My advice is to find a home in a neighborhood that makes sense for you and the schools will fall into line.

As for keeping the children busy, why would you think that to be a challenge here? There are a ton of after school activities including sports, arts and education available. Most communities are oriented around social engagement so unless you buy a McMansion on a huge lot, your children will have exposure to dozens or more of peers to connect and engage with.

I also wanted to address some of the earlier comments: The weather is different, you'll adjust; we did. There are snakes but the streets are not carpeted with them. I live on a large, heavily treed lot and have only stumbled across about a half dozen, and none in a threatening manner. We have more bugs and spiders because we have thick, beautiful natural growth with extended warm and humid weather; you'll adjust. My house is not overrun with anything other than sugar ants on occasion.

This is a wonderful place to live if you value a slightly less hectic pace, a less stressed out population and a more sensible cost of living. After living in the NYC for my first 43 years my only regret about relocating is that we didn't get here sooner (and maybe also not listening to my wife who wanted to live in a planned community - would have made building a new social network easier).

Don't sweat the school stuff, your children will adjust and so will you.
Thank you for these thoughts. I live in Fairfield County CT and the schools have been a major stumbling block in our decision to relocate to a Cary. I know the schools are good, but the schools are a little better here and I don’t want to prioritize my concerns over my three kids education. I also appreciate your thoughts on planned communities, any ones that come to mind in the Raleigh area? Thanks again.

Old 08-28-2019, 07:28 AM

27 posts, read 23,735 times
I miss the active environmental scene of the Bay area. I was a volunteer and supporter of groups that were working to protect marine life, the California Condor, the sea otter, etc. I also miss the astro talks on top of Mt. Tamalpais, the SF Ballet, evening fog and sea kayaking. But I'm grateful I had a chance to do those things for a little bit in life

Old 08-28-2019, 07:40 AM

2,843 posts, read 2,973,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
he's shared it like 12 times already

(this isn't telling him to stop)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary