Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2019, 12:06 PM

12,798 posts, read 16,239,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTPtresmacaws View Post
I miss the active environmental scene of the Bay area. I was a volunteer and supporter of groups that were working to protect marine life, the California Condor, the sea otter, etc. I also miss the astro talks on top of Mt. Tamalpais, the SF Ballet, evening fog and sea kayaking. But I'm grateful I had a chance to do those things for a little bit in life

Hmmm, San Francisco is an amazing city, but I think you might need to just look a little bit more at what's around you here.

There are plenty of active environmental organizations here, but I'll grant you that there are no California Condors or sea otters, but we do have a lot of bald eagles and there are the red wolves if you are looking for a truly endangered species to work toward helping.

Lots of folks who live at the beach volunteer to help the sea turtles. Pretty much every beach in NC has a volunteer group that monitors the sea turtle nests. We got to see a hatching just a few weeks ago at Ocean Isle and the volunteers were amazing. There's also the wonderful Karen Beasley Sea Turtle Hospital at Surf City.

Morehead Planetarium runs star gazing programs. We have some great night skies in NC, although, the Triangle is definitely not the best, but the Outer Banks and some areas of the mountains are stellar (ha!).

You can certainly do sea kayaking on this side of the country and hey, the water is warm and you can swim too!

The dance scene here is pretty impressive. Have you been to the American Dance Festival held in Durham every summer for the past 40+ years? If not, make plans to check it out next year!

Hope you'll check out some things here and get involved!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2020, 10:27 PM

7,670 posts, read 5,393,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
As a native of NC who lived in SoCal for 5 years, one huge difference that I think you would love about NC is the tree canopy's much taller height than in Southern California.

It creates a much bigger space that you're in all the time and puts everything in a different perspective.

California really doesn't have a tree canopy at all and the few trees of the "marine desert" which is what it is, aren't much taller than the roofs of single family homes...
I'm glad you mentioned Southern California in the first paragraph, as I think Northern California (my home) can hold her own with regards to tall trees, anywhere. I love our towering redwoods

Old 02-10-2020, 10:32 PM

569 posts, read 338,475 times
The Mule Days festival in Benson NC is a must see. No tall trees or anything, but lots of pick up trucks and marching bands.

Old 02-11-2020, 05:42 AM

4,563 posts, read 6,249,762 times
"You can certainly do sea kayaking on this side of the country and hey, the water is warm and you can swim too!"

As a kid, and sans wetsuit, I spent hours at a time swimming in the cold Pacific north of Santa Cruz...yeah, it's cold...but invigorating!

Regards
Gemstone1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary