Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2019, 07:05 AM

275 posts, read 232,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Anyhow, comments like the below do not bode well for race relations:

“Our black bodies literally have less economic value than the body of a white person,” she said. “As soon as a white body moves into the same space that I occupied, all of a sudden this place is more valuable.”

While it's extremely sad that someone actually thinks that, it's even sadder that a news outlet would publish it. Not only is it untrue, but it creates tension. I question the motives behind the article.

I personally have about had it with WRAL. You have to wonder if it's this kind of stuff that is why so many good people are leaving the company.
Yes, it is sad. But whats even sadder is attitudes like yours perfectly reinforce the basis for that person's comment.

And that person's opinion doesn't create tension. The actual racism that led to that person holding that opinion creates tension. Do some people overplay the race card? Of course. Does that mean racism doesn't exist? Of course not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2019, 07:10 AM

1,116 posts, read 1,209,560 times
I think what gets lost in all the hand-wringing over gentrification is that what is happening is mostly good. Whenever change happens, it is hardest on those who are weakest. That's unfortunate and it is worth talking about, but despite all the hand-wringing, nobody seems interested in doing anything to address the root causes of poverty. How do we get these people involved in the prosperity happening around them?

We need to get past housing costs going up. You're not going to be able to continue living there at the price you could previously. That is reality. Now what?

Old 04-28-2019, 07:12 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,270,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big John NC View Post
Yes, it is sad. But whats even sadder is attitudes like yours perfectly reinforce the basis for that person's comment.

And that person's opinion doesn't create tension. The actual racism that led to that person holding that opinion creates tension. Do some people overplay the race card? Of course. Does that mean racism doesn't exist? Of course not.
I don't understand what you're saying. Black people can, will, and should live in these gentrified neighborhoods. There are people of all colors that will not be able to afford to - but that is not race related, it's economics related.

Old 04-28-2019, 07:29 AM

The anti-gentrification narrative seems to suggest we should be preserving slums and segregation. Whites moving into black neighborhoods is a positive. Investment coming into depressed neighborhoods is a good thing. Yes, the displacement this causes is unfair. But it also creates opportunity.

Old 04-28-2019, 08:35 AM

6,379 posts, read 5,492,276 times
WRAL ran this article and I didn't notice the NYT credit. Makes more sense now. It didn't read like it was written by locals. At one point they reference someone who moved to "a diverse suburb east of the city" and I was like wtf why not just say Garner or Knightdale this sounds corny.

No mention of the new SE Raleigh YMCA complex which will also include mixed-income housing, a new school, and middle-income shopping and dining.

Old 04-28-2019, 09:06 AM

2,218 posts, read 2,938,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
You could replace every use of "race and color" in that article with "income", and it would read very similarly.
I agree. If you go behind the headline it really is all about economics. They even speak about how minorities have been moving into typically "white" neighborhoods for decades and now we are starting to see the reverse happening as well. The media just likes to perpetuate and foster this racial divide. But don't get me wrong, I still believe we have some work to do as a country but I don't feel it is as bad as the media makes it out to be.

I also agree with Bull City. For the most part I see this as being a good thing. Do we still have an issue around here with poverty and affordable housing....sure. But we can't just keep putting a bandaid on a wound unless we treat it first. Otherwise that bandaid won't ever come off.

Old 04-28-2019, 09:41 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
I agree. If you go behind the headline it really is all about economics. They even speak about how minorities have been moving into typically "white" neighborhoods for decades and now we are starting to see the reverse happening as well. The media just likes to perpetuate and foster this racial divide. But don't get me wrong, I still believe we have some work to do as a country but I don't feel it is as bad as the media makes it out to be.

I also agree with Bull City. For the most part I see this as being a good thing. Do we still have an issue around here with poverty and affordable housing....sure. But we can't just keep putting a bandaid on a wound unless we treat it first. Otherwise that bandaid won't ever come off.
Sorry I can't give you and Bull City more rep!!! Apparently, we agree too often!

Old 04-28-2019, 12:59 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,599,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Makes you wonder...if we didn't have the media citing race for all the problems in the world, would we have any issues with race?
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Sorry I can't give you and Bull City more rep!!! Apparently, we agree too often!
At least people can find out which realtors might be a little bit racist, so that's a plus for this thread

Old 04-28-2019, 02:40 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,270,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM posts View Post
At least people can find out which realtors might be a little bit racist, so that's a plus for this thread
That's pretty rude, and pretty absurd.

Old 04-28-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM posts View Post
Keep calling people racists. You're only empowering actual racists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary