Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 10:01 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,839,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock4 View Post
OP, have you applied to Wake County (or New Hanover if you like the coast)? I think you would find the conditions more to your liking. I taught in several different states and I enjoyed Wake County, although this was 10 years ago. I would put in your application as there is turnover, more in some fields than others.

Good luck!
Yes, I'm hoping more opportunities in my field will open up in Wake County. Keeping my eyes open!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Really?? Not Wilmington? None of the beach towns? Not Greenville or New Bern or Morehead City or Little Washington or Edenton or Beaufort or Southport? Brunswick County NC is one of the fastest growing counties in the state!

Now, I will agree that there's not many places right along I-95 that I'd choose, but there are plenty of places east of Raleigh that I like.

Rocky Mount would just be pretty low on my list of places I'd want to live, but plenty of other places in eastern NC that are nice enough.
OMG, thank you for providing a more positive picture of eastern NC! It was starting to sound like a lost cause. You mention Greenville -- would you consider living there?

Old 05-09-2019, 10:16 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
Well I personally wouldn't, but not because it doesn't have attractive qualities. I am just happy where I am and there's not many other places in NC that I would move to. But Greenville is growing. It's home to a big university, East Carolina University, and that brings a lot of vibrance to the community. I think quite a few people like Greenville.

Greenville is not really coastal, but Greenville threads go in the coastal forum. Folks there can tell you more about it.
//www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/

Old 05-09-2019, 07:36 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,938,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
This mirrors my take. I'm kinda bullish on Rocky Mount for the long term. How long is the question. There's been an effort to land jobs there. I know entrepreneurs in this area that have been looking at doing things either in RM or Wilson.

So, yeah, I don't think I'd chose to live in RM right now unless I were trying to keep a very LCOL and were willing to put up with whatever to get that. That said, you don't have to live there to have a job there. In addition to Wilson, mentioned above, you could also live midway between Raleigh and RM, maybe around Zebulon and commute. You'd then have decent access to Raleigh on the weekends. 30 minute commutes when you are moving is not nearly as soul-sucking as 30 minutes sitting in stop-and-go traffic on I-40 in the Triangle. (I've got a friend who lives out on Bunn Lake, and loves it, and commutes into Raleigh. That is on the RM side of Zebulon).
There is a phenomenon that happens around flourishing metros like Raleigh where the more that going on there, the less that can possibly be going on anywhere nearby.

I think this is what limits Wilson and Rocky Mount from being happening places, they're too close to the Triangle to attract people in the same way. Greenville is far enough away to have its own tv stations, etc. and serve as a regional center that draws people from a nearby radius for events, performances, etc.

I have only driven through Nashville in the 90's, but it seems to be on fire right now, and the family-oriented, suburban nature of the Triangle is going to seem much less active and NC's people can be considered to run in closed circles.

If I were you and if you love the beach, I'd go to Wilmington, NC, which I've concluded to be one of the best coastal towns in the country in terms of a taste of all 4 seasons, water temps. affordability, and probably good if you're single.

The area is bustling, but it is still a small town compared to major cities. I think eventually the area is going to get very crowded.. Traffic is very bad in the summer now and the area is growing fast.

That's my two cents worth.

Old 05-09-2019, 07:51 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,930,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
OMG, thank you for providing a more positive picture of eastern NC! It was starting to sound like a lost cause. You mention Greenville -- would you consider living there?
I personally would not live in Greenville but it is a fairly nice area, much nicer than Rocky Mount. The main reason I would not live there is it's still much smaller and much less going on than a place like Nashville or Raleigh.

Old 05-10-2019, 05:35 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
I agree. I would come closer to living in Wilmington rather than Greenville. More going on there, plus the beach. But I'm pretty happy here in the Triangle.

Old 05-10-2019, 06:46 AM

257 posts, read 223,174 times
I agree. I would come closer to living in Rocky Mount rather than the Triangle. More going on there, plus the fireworks. But I'm pretty happy here in Petersburg, VA.

Old 05-10-2019, 06:48 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,821,351 times
The only reason I wouldn’t live in Greenville if I was working in Rocky Mount is because the commute between the two cities would suck compared to that of Wilson.

Old 05-10-2019, 09:04 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,165,745 times
I had sone friends who relocated to NC from out west. Bought in Rocky Mount because it was closest town to his job. They hated it. Spent a lot of time driving to Raleigh for shopping, dining, hang with friends, etc. They regretted not buying closer to Knightdale and him just commuting. They liked the Triangle, but hated Rocky Mount. And I completely understand why.

Old 05-10-2019, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
I had sone friends who relocated to NC from out west. Bought in Rocky Mount because it was closest town to his job. They hated it. Spent a lot of time driving to Raleigh for shopping, dining, hang with friends, etc. They regretted not buying closer to Knightdale and him just commuting. They liked the Triangle, but hated Rocky Mount. And I completely understand why.
Knightdale? Never heard of it, but I'll check it out. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary